All area codes are 850 unless noted.
National Egg Month
May is National Egg Month and to celebrate, Another Broken Egg Cafés will offer guests the chance to win a $50 gift card by guessing the number of eggs used at your favorite neighborhood location during the month of May. To enter visit the Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/AnotherBrokenEgg, and enter the location you are guessing for.
Covenant Hospice needs individuals and groups to join its award-winning volunteer team. A training workshop will be held from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. May 7 at the Covenant Hospice branch office, 220 Eglin Parkway NE in Fort Walton Beach. The workshop is free and open to the public. Refreshments will be provided. To register, call 729-1800.
Women's Wall of Honor ceremony
The Okaloosa County Commission on the Status of Women will host a ceremony and reception recognizing the 2013 honorees for the Wall of Honor at 10 a.m. May 7 in the auditorium at the University of West Florida, Emerald Coast Campus, in Fort Walton Beach. The honorees' names are placed on a plaque in the library at the Emerald Coast campus of the UWF with a nearby book containing a biographical page for each woman. RSVP at 833-7587, ext. 205 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Representatives from the Okaloosa County Tax Collector’s Office will educate citizens on the annual Tax Certificate Sale from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. May 8 in Destin City Council Chambers, 410-0 Indian Bayou Trail, and from 6-7:30 p.m. May 13 at the OCTC Destin Office, 4012 Commons Dr. W. Call 651-7603.
Kids Night Out
A Kids Night Out will be held from 6-9:30 p.m. May 10 at the Destin Community. Children ages 5-12 can enjoy a night full of games, a movie, pizza, and lots of fun. The cost is $20/Destin residents and $25/non-Destin residents. Call 654-5184.
Relay for Life
The 2013 Destin Relay for Life will be held from 6 p.m. May 10 to noon May 11 at Morgan Sports Complex. For information, email email@example.com.
Joe Abraham, author, entrepreneur and host of the upcoming PBS series "The Entrepreneurs," will deliver the keynote address at the Third Annual WAM! (Women and Money) Conference from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. May 11 at the Costa Leadership Institute on the Niceville campus of NWFSC. Registration fee is $25/person or $40/mother/daughter team in honor of Mother's Day weekend and includes all workshops, breakfast and lunch. Free childcare will be provided. Scholarships are available. Call 243-1201.
Youth ages 8-12 are invited to make a floral design for their mother from 10-11:30 a.m. May 11 at Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of the Emerald Coast, 1295 N. Bayshore Drive in Valparaiso. Reservations required at firstname.lastname@example.org. Cost is $12/child.
A Boating Safety class will be held from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. May 18 at the Fort Walton Yacht Club, 120 Ferry Road NE in Fort Walton Beach. Registration begins at 8:15 a.m. Cost is $35 and includes the course, book, exam, FWC Safe Boating ID card, lunch, line handling and knots demo and safety whistle. Pre-register by May 13 at 321-287-6988 or email@example.com.
Take a field trip to the Blackwater River State Forest May 18. Meet at 6:40 a.m. at the Niceville Food World or at 7:30 a.m. at the McDonalds behind the Santa Rosa County government building on Hwy. 90 in Milton. Call 564-1482.
State of the County
The League of Women Voters of Okaloosa County and the Greater Fort Walton Beach Chamber of Commerce host the 14th annual State of the County Report from 10 a.m. to noon May 18in the Chamber conference room, 34 Miracle Strip Parkway SE. The event is free and open to the public. Coffee will be served.
World’s Greatest Baby Shower
The Healthy Start 2013 World’s Greatest Baby Shower for Okaloosa and Walton counties begins at 5:30 p.m. May 23 at the Emerald Coast Convention Center on Okaloosa Island. All pregnant women and new parents, who have had a baby in the last 3 months, are invited for fun, information, light snacks, and baby shower prizes. Local service providers and businesses will provide information on prenatal health, well baby care, parenting, infant health and safety, immunizations and much more. Admission is free. Call 833-9284.
Opportunity Place, a shelter for homeless women and families seeking temporary housing, is in need of donations large and small for a Yard Sale/Open House to be held May 25 at 305 Lovejoy Road in Fort Walton Beach. Call 409-3070.
Lincoln-Reagan fundraising dinner
The Okaloosa County Republican Executive Committee will hold its annual Lincoln-Reagan Fundraising Dinner at 6 p.m. June 8 in the Ambassador Room, Ramada Plaza Beach Resort, 1500 Miracle Strip Parkway in Fort Walton Beach. Donations are needed for the silent auction. Blaise Ingoglia, vice-chairman of the Republican Party of Florida and the creator of Government Gone Wild videos and the website governmentgonewild.org is one of the speakers. Tickets are $45/students and Century Club Members: $55/general admission. Call 651-5049 for information.
The following events are held regularly at the Destin Library. Call 837-8572
• Tai Chi for Arthritis: At 7 a.m. Wednesdays. Cost is $5/class.
• Cuddlers & Toddlers Storytime: From 3-3:45 p.m. Tuesdays and 9:30-10:15 a.m. Thursdays for ages 4 months to 4 years.
• Independent Film Series: Independent and foreign films shown at 7 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month.
• Friends of the Destin Library: Monthly meeting held at 10 a.m. the second Friday of each month.
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Chair yoga: Monday and Thursday at 10 a.m. Cost is $3/class.
• Duplicate bridge: Mondays and Thursdays at 9:30 a.m. and 12:320 p.m. Wednesdays. Entry fee: $6. No partner needed. Bridge lessons 11 a.m. Wednesdays.
• Intermediate party bridge: Mondays and Tuesdays at 12:45 p.m. at Buck Destin Park. Call 837-1967. Beginning bridge class at 12:30 p.m. Wednesdays. $2/session.
• Jazzercise class: 6 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Call 621-3055.
• Kidz Klub: After-school program from 3:30-5:30 p.m. Now accepting applications.
• Low Impact Aerobics: Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 9:15 a.m. Bring water and a towel. Cost is $3/session.
• MMA Fitness: Class from 6-7 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday for all ages. Cost is $7. Grappling bags and gloves provided.
• Pickleball: Pickle Ball courts are available. Call if interested.
• Walking Club: Walk with music from 8-9 a.m. Monday-Friday.
• Woodcarving: Fridays at 9 a.m. Fee is $2.
• Yoga: Thursdays at noon. Cost is $5/class.
• Zumba gold: Monday and Thursday at 11 a.m. Cost is $6/class.