It’s time again to choose activities that kids will enjoy during their summer vacation. To list a summer activity, email email@example.com.
SummerWILD Children’s Camp
Children in first through sixth grade can spend a week on the Destin harbor learning about exotic animals and their natural habitats with the Emerald Coast Wildlife Refuge during SummerWILD Children’s Camp from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. June 3-7, 10-14, 17-21, 24-28, July 1-5, 8-12, 15-19, 22-26, 29-Aug. 2, Aug. 5-9 and 12-16. Contact Susan Leveille at 850-830-3933 to register. Cost is $150 for the week; family discounts are available.
Children will talk with a real marine biologist, do arts and crafts, and encounter actual animals like owls, tortoises, gray foxes, and raccoons, and learn about dolphins, sharks, seashells, sandcastles, and more.
The following events will be held during the summer at the Destin Community Center unless noted. Call 654-5184 for information and to register.
• Kids’ Camp: Summer day camp from 9 a.m. to noon Mondays through Fridays June 10-Aug. 9 for children ages 5 through 12 years. Towel and swimsuit required on Fridays. Comfortable clothes and tennis shoes required. Cost is $40/week for Destin residents and $45/non-residents. Advance payment required. Lunch $10 and $15.
• Golf Camp: Great for beginners ages 7-15 from 1-3 p.m. June 10 and 1-4 p.m. June 11 at The Golf Garden on U.S. 98. Cost is $35/resident and $40/non-resident.
• Basketball Camp: Ages 5-13 learn the fundamentals of passing, shooting, dribbling, and sportsmanship from 1-3 p.m. June 12-14. Wear tennis shoes and comfortable clothes. Cost is $40/residents and $45/non-residents.
• Babysitting Safety Course: Courses offered by the Destin Fire Department for ages 11 through 15 from 1 to 5 p.m. June 13, 24 or July 18. Each student will be certified in CPR and First Aid. Cost $30/residents and $35/non-residents.
• Kids' Night Out: Games, movie, pizza and fun for ages 5-12 from 6-9:30 p.m. June 14, July 12, or Aug. 16. Cost is $20/resident and $25/non-resident.
• Cheerleading Camp: Ages 5-14 improve coordination, enthusiasm, team spirit and self-confidence from 1-3 p.m. June 17-19. Cost is $35/resident and $40/non-resident; T-shirt included.
• Tennis Camp: Learn how to serve, backhand, forehand, rally, etc., from 1-3 p.m. June 24 and 26 for ages 5-9 and June 25 and 27 for ages 10-15 at Buck Destin Park, 724 Legion Drive. Cost is $20/resident and $25/non-resident.
• Cooking and Serving: Youth ages 8-15 plan and prepare a luncheon from 12-3 p.m. June 25-27 or July 9-11. Cost is $45/resident and $55/non-resident.
• Fish Camp: Ages 5-12 earn the basics of fishing at the third annual Kid's Fish Camp from 8:30-11:30 a.m. July 2 at Clement Taylor Park on Calhoun Avenue. Drop off and pick up at Community Center. Cost is $20/resident and $30/non-resident. Includes pole and bait.
• Challenger British Soccer Camp: Ages 3-14 from 8-11 a.m. or 5:30-8:30 p.m. July 8-12 at Morgan Sports Center. Cost is $81/ages 3-4 and $120/ages 6-14. Register at www.challengersports.com.
• Volleyball Camp: Ages 9-14 improve volleyball skills with Fort Walton Beach High School Volleyball Team from 1-3 p.m. July 15-18. Cost is $25/resident and $30/non-resident.
• Baton Camp: Ages 5-16 learn basics of baton twirling from the All-Star Twirlers from 1 to 3 p.m. Date TBA.
• Dodge Ball Camp: Ages 9-14 learn official rules, techniques and strategies from 1-3 p.m. July 29-Aug. 1. Cost is $15/resident and $20/non-resident.
• Softball Camp: Ages 8-12 learn softball fundamentals from 9-11 a.m. Aug. 12 and 13 at Dalton Threadgill Little League Park. Cost is $20/resident and $25/non-resident.
The Fine and Performing Arts Division at NWFSC will offer a Creative Dramatics summer workshop, “Camp Glee,” from 8:30 a.m. to 1:45 p.m. Monday through Friday, June 10 to July 3, for students from rising 8th grade through college age. Participants will learn about choreography, acting, voice, makeup and staging and will star in the drama Thoroughly Modern Millie, Jr. July 3 at the college’s Mattie Kelly Fine and Performing Arts Center. Call 729-5382.
Holy Kidz Summer Camp
Holy Kidz Summer Camp provides a fun wholesome Christ-centered summer experience for children entering K-5th grade in the fall of 2013. Camps include games, activities, field trips, arts, crafts, cooking, Spanish, science, opportunities for learning and great times with new friends. Cost is $100/week for first child; $80/second child. Call 586-8264.
Sessions at the Destin Life Center at Destin United Methodist Church will run from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday-Friday, June 10 through Aug. 16. To register, visit www.destinumc.org. After hour care will be provided by Destin Life Center, but you must pre-register.
Sessions at Destiny Worship Center, Miramar Beach Campus, will be held from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. June 24-28 and July 8-12. Waterday every Friday at the Emerge Campus. Register at holykidzcamps.com.
Drama Kids of Northwest Florida will have a summer camp from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. June 10-14 at Destin United Methodist Church Life Center, 200 Beach Drive. Price is $189. Before and after care available for an additional fee. Register at http://dramakidsinc.com/fl4/camps-events/ or call 279-4008.
Summer Dance Camp
The Niceville High School Eaglettes Dance Team will host a summer dance camp from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. June 13 and 14 for girls ages 4-12. A dance showcase will be held at 6 p.m. June 14 featuring all the dance campers. The princess-themed camp will include dance instruction, arts and crafts, lunch, movies and story time. The registration fee is $50/first child and $40/each additional child per family. Registration forms may be picked up at the NHS Attendance Office or local elementary schools.
Kids on Campus
Register for the “Kids on Campus” summer enrichment program at Northwest Florida College online at www.nwfsc.edu/kidsoncampus or parents may register at all seven NWFSC locations. Registration deadlines are June 12 and July 10.
Kids on Campus offers youth entering grades 3 to 8 an opportunity for fun learning in a college environment with a variety of classes in the areas of athletics, theater, art and academics.
Sessions will be held June 17-227 and July 15-25, Monday through Thursday, with half-day sessions from 9 a.m. to 12 noon or 12:30 to 3:20 p.m., or full-day sessions, 9 a.m. to 3:20 p.m. For an additional fee, extended day options are available from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The course list and registration forms are available at all area elementary and middle schools, NWF State College campuses and centers, and at www.nwfsc.edu/schedule. For more information, call 729-6086.
The United Way of Okaloosa & Walton Counties Children’s Summer Fun Guidebook is available at www.united-way.org. The free listing has activities for children ages 4-18.
This one week class, from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. June 17-21 at Destin Middle School, features art, drama, dance and juggling and is designed for students entering 1st through 8th grade in the fall. Cost is $125 per student which includes T-shirt and supplies. On the final day of Kamp, students will present a performance showcasing their work from the week. Visit mattiekellyartsfoundation.org or call 650-2226.
Holy Mackerel Kidz Camp
Holy Mackerel Kidz Camp provides a fun wholesome Christ-centered summer experience for children ages K-5. Camp starts and ends each day with singing and dancing as children praise God and in between includes Bible study, skits, jump rope, missions, crafts and some free time. On Fridays a limousine takes children to the YMCA for water fun.
Sessions will be held from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday-Friday, June 17-21, July 8-12 and July 22-26. Registration fee is $15; cost is $80/session, $60/siblings. Discount for early registration. Call Miss Cissy at 850-830-3146 to register.
The Arts and Design Society offers the opportunity for children to participate in creating visual arts in its summer Kids' Fine Art Camp at the ADSO Art Center, 17 First Street, SE, in Fort Walton Beach. Classes begin on Monday with the ancient skills of clay artistry and feature a different medium each day, including drawing, painting, and printmaking. Each week ends with an art show and reception for the families. The cost for each session is $60/child and $50/children of ADSO members. Pre-registration required by June 14 for June sessions and July 12 for July sessions. To register, call 244-1271 or visit www.artsdesignsociety.org.
• Session 1: 9:30-11:30 a.m. June 17-21, ages 6-8
• Session 2: 1-3 p.m. June 17-21, ages 9-13
• Session 3: 9:30-11:30 a.m. July 15-19, ages 6-11
• Session 4: 1-3 p.m. July 15-21, ages 6-11
Gulfarium Marine Adventure Park on Okaloosa Island will offer Sunset Camp to children ages 6-14 from 4-9 p.m. on select dates beginning in June and continuing through the summer.
Activities include a dockside dolphin interaction, with the opportunity to feed and give behavior signals to an Atlantic bottlenose dolphin, an ocean-themed scavenger hunt throughout the park, an exploratory adventure along the beach, and dinner next to the seals. Make reservations at www.gulfarium.com or call 243-9046.
Mike the Knight
Gallop over to the stage and get ready to be a knight in training as Mike and his medieval friends present Mike the Knight and the Mission for Hidden Treasure at 7 p.m. July 13 at Destin Commons. This fun-filled mission full of discovery, determination and friendship will have knights and princesses of all ages engaged from start to finish.
The Emerald Coast Theatre Company hosts a theater camp from July 21-27 at Destin Middle School. Cost is $125/students. Designed for students entering grades 2-12 in fall 2013, this one-week theater camp is dedicated to the development of life skills in children through participation in the performing arts. This year’s production will be “Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp.” Students will experience auditions and casting (everyone gets a role), acting, theatre games, and prop construction in a positive team building environment. Group auditions are from 3-4 p.m. July 21; camp, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. July 22-26; rehearsal, 1-5 p.m. July 27; and ticketed performance at 6 p.m. July 27. Tickets are $5/adults and children under 12 are free.