All area codes are 850 unless noted.
World’s Greatest Baby Shower
The Healthy Start 2013 World’s Greatest Baby Shower for Okaloosa and Walton counties begins at 5:30 p.m. May 23 at the Emerald Coast Convention Center on Okaloosa Island. All pregnant women and new parents, who have had a baby in the last 3 months, are invited for fun, information, light snacks, and baby shower prizes. Local service providers and businesses will provide information on prenatal health, well baby care, parenting, infant health and safety, immunizations and much more. Admission is free. Call 833-9284.
A public education session on "The Biology of Addictions — A Chronic Relapsing Disease," will be held from 6-7:30 p.m. May 23 in Suite 3 at Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast. Speaker will be Dr. Terrance R. Reeves, the medical director of Destin Recovery Center. RSVP at 278-3030 or email@example.com.
Feline Friends of Destin will hold Kitten Smitten, a bake sale, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. May 24-27 at PetSmart in Destin. Homemade treats on sale for donations all weekend. Rescue cats/kittens for adoption are available at PetSmart as a PetSmart Charities partner. Call 837-3869.
National Egg Month
May is National Egg Month and to celebrate, Another Broken Egg Cafés will offer guests the chance to win a $50 gift card by guessing the number of eggs used at your favorite neighborhood location during the month of May. To enter visit the Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/AnotherBrokenEgg, and enter the location you are guessing for.
Main Street Market
Destin’s Main Street Market is open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday in the Destin Water Users Building, 218 Main Street, with fresh local produce, baked goods, jams and jellies, jewelry, soap, farm fresh eggs, milk, local roasted coffee, tacos, Crust artisan bakers, fresh gyros and salads. Call 855-6384.
Opportunity Place, a shelter for homeless women and families seeking temporary housing, is in need of donations large and small for a Yard Sale/Open House to be held May 25 at 305 Lovejoy Road in Fort Walton Beach. Call 409-3070.
Don Schroeder, author of "Air Raid Nights and Radio Days," will sign copies of his book from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. May 25 at the Hurlbert Field BX, 112 Lielmanis Ave.
Niceville Garden Club will host an open house and potluck for anyone who enjoys flowers, plants and gardening at 6 p.m. May 28 in the Niceville City Chamber Building. Installation of new officers and a silent auction will also be held. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
Belk's Open House
Belk stores will celebrate its 125th anniversary beginning at 9 a.m. May 29 with decorations, entertainment and refreshments, as well as sales promotions throughout the store. The first 100 customers will receive a Belk gift card.
Arbor Wealth Management, LLC, a “fee-only” registered investment advisory firm, will host an Income Generation Seminar, “Making Your Portfolio Pay Monthly” at 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. May 29 in the Arbor Wealth Conference Room. Arbor Wealth Management, LLC specializes in portfolio management for investors with $250,000 or more of investable assets. Call 608-6121 to reserve seating. Refreshments will be served.
Celebrate the First
Catholic Charities will host Celebrate the First on First Street from 8 a.m. to noon June 1 at the Catholic Charities office, 11 First Street S.E., in Fort Walton Beach. The event includes a Hidden Treasures rummage sale, arts and crafts, hot dogs, children’s activities, a fire truck, and the “Safe Assured ID” service presented by the Okaloosa County Sheriff Office. This service is free of charge, and includes a free ID kit that contains data that helps law enforcement in the case of a missing child.
National Doughnut Day
Stop in at Krispy Kreme on June 7 for a free doughnut of any variety to celebrate National Doughnut Day. No purchase necessary; while supplies last.
Lincoln-Reagan fundraising dinner
The Okaloosa County Republican Executive Committee will hold its annual Lincoln-Reagan Fundraising Dinner at 6 p.m. June 8 in the Ambassador Room, Ramada Plaza Beach Resort, 1500 Miracle Strip Parkway in Fort Walton Beach. Donations are needed for the silent auction. Blaise Ingoglia, vice-chairman of the Republican Party of Florida and the creator of Government Gone Wild videos and the website governmentgonewild.org is one of the speakers. Tickets are $45/students and Century Club Members: $55/general admission. Call 651-5049 for information.
Middle School Dance
Destin Middle School Cheerleaders host a social evening of dancing, music, and refreshments from 7-9 p.m. Sept. 13 at the Destin Community Center. Cost is $5/person. Register at 654-5184.
The following events are held regularly at the Destin Library. Call 837-8572
• Tai Chi for Arthritis: At 7 a.m. Wednesdays. Cost is $5/class.
• Cuddlers & Toddlers Storytime: From 3-3:45 p.m. Tuesdays and 9:30-10:15 a.m. Thursdays for ages 4 months to 4 years.
• Independent Film Series: Independent and foreign films shown at 7 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month.
• Friends of the Destin Library: Monthly meeting held at 10 a.m. the second Friday of each month.
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Chair yoga: Monday and Thursday at 10 a.m. Cost is $3/class.
• Duplicate bridge: Mondays and Thursdays at 9:30 a.m. and 12:320 p.m. Wednesdays. Entry fee: $6. No partner needed. Bridge lessons 11 a.m. Wednesdays.
• Intermediate party bridge: Mondays and Tuesdays at 12:45 p.m. at Buck Destin Park. Call 837-1967. Beginning bridge class at 12:30 p.m. Wednesdays. $2/session.
• Jazzercise class: 6 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Call 621-3055.
• Kidz Klub: After-school program from 3:30-5:30 p.m. Now accepting applications.
• Low Impact Aerobics: Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 9:15 a.m. Bring water and a towel. Cost is $3/session.
• MMA Fitness: Class from 6-7 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday for all ages. Cost is $7. Grappling bags and gloves provided.
• Pickleball: Pickle Ball courts are available. Call if interested.
• Walking Club: Walk with music from 8-9 a.m. Monday-Friday.
• Woodcarving: Fridays at 9 a.m. Fee is $2.
• Yoga: Thursdays at noon. Cost is $5/class.
• Zumba gold: Monday and Thursday at 11 a.m. Cost is $6/class.