All area codes are 850 unless noted.
Financial matters seminar
Mainstay Financial Group will present a free seminar, “Clear or confused: How do you feel when you get your investment statement?” at 10 a.m. Aug. 19 in the Suite 3 Resource Center conference room at Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast. To register for this free seminar, call 278-3600 or visit www.sacredheartemerald.org.
MSABC kick off
A Making Strides Against Breast Cancer kick-off gathering will be held at 6 p.m. Aug. 22 at the Ramada Plaza Hotel on Okaloosa Island for those wanting to be involved. RSVP to Brittany.email@example.com, or call 850-244-3813, ext. 3556. The walk takes place Oct. 26.
The City of Fort Walton Beach Heritage Park and Cultural Center will host a free public lecture at 6 p.m. Aug. 23 inside the Indian Temple Mound Museum, 139 Miracle Strip Parkway SE. Diane Merkel will present “DeFuniak Springs: A Pictoral History, 1885-1915,” a visual tour of the Historic District of DeFuniak Springs in Walton County. Call 833-9595.
Harbor Docks will host the 28th annual Caddy Shack Classic Charity Golf Tournament Aug. 23 at Emerald Bay Golf Club with a scramble format. Registration begins at noon with a shotgun start at 1 p.m. Cost is $500 per team or $125 per golfer. Hole sponsorships are available for $100. Mulligans, closest to the pin, long drives, and other contests can be entered at the course for donations. Proceeds will help fund Take A Kid Fishing Day.
Art class/food drive
Abrakadoodle will host a Family Art Class and Food Drive benefiting Food For Thought, which serves Walton and Okaloosa counties, from 10-11:30 a.m. Aug. 24 at the Destin Commons Studio. Each family will create a mixed media still life of fruit on a 16 x 20 canvas. Cost is $45/family. Foods needed are peanut butter, jelly, snack crackers, fruit cups, etc. Call 424-5058 to register.
Destin’s Main Street Market is open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday in the parking lot of the Destin Water Users Building, 218 Main Street, with fresh local produce, baked goods, jams and jellies, jewelry, soap, farm fresh eggs, milk, local roasted coffee, tacos, Crust artisan bakers, fresh gyros and salads. Call 855-6384.
Harvest Food Drive
Emerald Coast Hospice will hold its ninth annual Harvest Food Drive for Sharing and Caring during the month of August. Food collection boxes will be at various healthcare facilities, banks, and any business who would like to host a box. Call 862-1069.
Women’s Hall inductions
The Okaloosa County Commission on the Status of Women will host a ceremony and reception recognizing the 2013 Inductees to the Women’s Hall of Fame at 7 p.m. Aug. 26 at the Northwest Florida State College — Niceville Campus Student Services Center on the 3rd Floor. RSVP at 729-5202 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer training will be held at 9:30 a.m. Aug. 27 at Opportunity Place, 305 Lovejoy Road in Fort Walton Beach, a shelter for homeless women and families seeking temporary housing. Volunteers are needed for administrative duties, shelter help, special events and more., a shelter for homeless women and families seeking temporary housing. Call 409-3070 or email Lill@owh-mail.org.
Arbor Wealth Management, LLC, a “fee-only” registered investment advisory firm, will host an Income Generation Seminar, “How to Make Your Portfolio Pay Monthly” at 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. Aug. 28 in the Arbor Wealth Conference Room. Call 608-6121 to reserve seating. Refreshments will be served.
Fresh Start for Children and Families hosts its annual 250 Banquet and Auction at 6 p.m. Aug. 29 in the Ramada Plaza’s Ambassador Room. Enjoy wine, hors d’oeuvres and a silent auction with emcee Ted Corcoran and entertainment by David Seering. Call 243-5648.
A workshop to assist students in Okaloosa County High Schools who will take the Sept. 21 ACT and the Oct. 5 SAT will be held from 2:15-4:15 Sept. 16-18 and 5:30-8:30 p.m. Sept. 23 and 24 in the Media Center at Fort Walton Beach High School. All materials, snacks and drinks are furnished. Students need to bring calculators. Registration deadline is Aug. 29. For information, contact Alice Hart at 615-585-2401, email Amhart1966@aol.com or contact your high school guidance department.
Park rangers at Henderson Beach State Park in Destin invite the public to participate in a celebration of reading and September’s Literacy Month from 10-11 a.m. Aug. 30. Join rangers as they read their favorite children’s books followed by refreshments and an art activity. Event weather permitting. Admission included in park admission. Call 837-7550.
Choctawhatchee Audubon Society
• Sept. 5: Monthly meeting at 6:30 p.m. in Room 130 of the Student Services Center of the Niceville campus of NWFSC. Program is Surveys of Wet Prairies and Rare Plants on Point Washington State Forest by Tom Greene, biologist. Call 582-7064.
• Sept. 7: Field Trip to Point Washington State Forest with biologist Tom Greene. Meet at 8:30 a.m. at the Tom Thumb at the intersection of Hwys. 98 and 331 in Walton County. Call 694-6403.
• Sept. 14: Bird Walk at the Shoal River Sanctuary hosted by Bob and Chris Larson. Meet at 7:30 a.m. at the Niceville Food World to carpool. Call 651-0392.
• Sept. 28: Bird Walk at Ft. Pickens, Gulf Islands National Seashore led by Alan Knothe. Meet at 7 a.m. at Uptown Station in Fort Walton Beach or at Langdon Battery at 8:15 a.m. Call 862-3498.
The Destin United Methodist Women hosts its fifth annual Fall Flair Arts and Crafts Show from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sept. 6 and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sept. 7 in the Destin Life Center at DUMC, 200 Beach Drive. Vendor booths, a silent auction, giant bake sale and dining at the Soul Café. All proceeds benefit church missions. Call 650-5658.
College Night, a free annual event that features representatives from more than 60 colleges and universities from several states, will be held from 6-8 p.m. Sept. 11 in the Raider Arena on the NWFSC campus in Niceville. Call 729-6467.
Middle School Dance
Destin Middle School Cheerleaders host a social evening of dancing, music, and refreshments from 7-9 p.m. Sept. 13 at the Destin Community Center. Cost is $5/person. Register at 654-5184.
The merchants of Downtown Fort Walton Beach will host a Farmer's Market from 8 a.m. to noon Sept. 14 at 201 S. E. Miracle Strip Parkway in the grassy area behind Burrito Del Sol and Bella Day Spa & Hair Studio. Vendors will have locally grown and handmade items, such as fresh farm produce and fruit, honey, baked goods, fresh eggs, Greek and German food items, jams, jellies, dips, salsas, handmade soaps and scrubs, and more.
Safety First For All
Meet McGruff and Vince & Larry the Crash Test Dummies from 3:30-6:30 p.m. Sept. 16 in the parking at Destiny Worship Center, 122 Poinciana Blvd. in Destin. Event includes bicycle rodeo and helmet fittings, car seat checks, child passenger safety information and equipment, prizes and giveaways. Call 892-8172.
Harbor Docks will host its 19th Annual Thanksgiving Feast. People from all walks of life gather at the Destin restaurant in a true Thanksgiving tradition. Those who are capable of making donations are encouraged to do so. All proceeds raised benefit Habitat for Humanity and Destin Harvest projects.
The following events are held regularly at the Destin Library. Call 837-8572
• Tai Chi for Arthritis: At 7 a.m. Wednesdays. Cost is $5/class.
• Cuddlers & Toddlers Storytime: From 3-3:45 p.m. Tuesdays and 9:30-10:15 a.m. Thursdays for ages 4 months to 4 years.
• Independent Film Series: Independent and foreign films shown at 7 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month.
• Friends of the Destin Library: Monthly meeting held at 10 a.m. the second Friday of each month.
Destin Community Center
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Chair yoga: Monday and Thursday at 10 a.m. Cost is $3/class.
• Duplicate bridge: Mondays and Thursdays at 9:30 a.m. and 12:320 p.m. Wednesdays. Entry fee: $6. No partner needed. Bridge lessons 11 a.m. Wednesdays.
• Intermediate party bridge: Mondays and Tuesdays at 12:45 p.m. at Buck Destin Park. Call 837-1967. Beginning bridge class at 12:30 p.m. Wednesdays. $2/session.
• Jazzercise class: 6 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Call 621-3055.
• Kidz Klub: After-school program from 3:30-5:30 p.m. Now accepting applications.
• Low Impact Aerobics: Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 9:15 a.m. Bring water and a towel. Cost is $3/session.
• MMA Fitness: Class from 6-7 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday for all ages. Cost is $7. Grappling bags and gloves provided.
• Pickleball: Pickle Ball courts are available. Call if interested.
• Walking Club: Walk with music from 8-9 a.m. Monday-Friday.
• Woodcarving: Fridays at 9 a.m. Fee is $2.
• Yoga: Thursdays at noon. Cost is $5/class.
• Zumba gold: Monday and Thursday at 11 a.m. Cost is $6/class.