TODAY, SEPT. 7
• 5K Fun Run: The fourth annual "Holly"day 5K Fun Run is set for 7:30 a.m. Sept. 7, starting at the east pavilion at James Lee Park by the Crab Trap Restaurant on Scenic Hwy. 98. Early registration is available for $25 at www.active.com. Registration will be available the day of the race for $30. Proceeds will benefit Shred Out Cancer, a non-profit organization in memory of local teen, Holly Burke. Door prizes will be raffled, and participants will receive T-shirts and goodie bags. Call 225-1648 or 582-0806.
• Fall Flair: The Destin United Methodist Women hosts its fifth annual Fall Flair Arts and Crafts Show from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sept. 7 in the Destin Life Center at DUMC, 200 Beach Drive. Vendor booths, a silent auction, giant bake sale and dining at the Soul Café. All proceeds benefit church missions. Call 650-5658.
• Market: Destin’s Main Street Market is open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sept. 7 in the parking lot of the Destin Water Users Building, 218 Main Street. Call 855-6384.
All area codes are 850 unless noted.
The Destin Library needs interested persons to volunteer for its 2013-2014 instructional computer program. Both instructors and teaching assistants are needed. Individuals should possess skills using the Windows XP operating system. Instructors are needed for applications/online and also equipment/device training including Kindle, Nook and iPad. If interested, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Main Street Market
Destin’s Main Street Market is open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday in the parking lot of the Destin Water Users Building, 218 Main Street, with fresh local produce, baked goods, jams and jellies, jewelry, soap, farm fresh eggs, milk, local roasted coffee, tacos, Crust artisan bakers, fresh gyros and salads. Call 855-6384.
Applebee's in Sandestin will sponsor a fundraiser for the American Federation of Police & Concerned Citizens from 8-10 a.m. Sept. 15. Tickets will be on sale for $7 at Applebee's from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sept. 7 and 14 from Dennis Wise, president of the AFP&CC. If unable to purchase tickets on those dates, email Wise at email@example.com.
Choctawhatchee Audubon Society
• Sept. 7: Field Trip to Point Washington State Forest with biologist Tom Greene. Meet at 8:30 a.m. at the Tom Thumb at the intersection of Hwys. 98 and 331 in Walton County. Call 694-6403.
• Sept. 14: Bird Walk at the Shoal River Sanctuary hosted by Bob and Chris Larson. Meet at 7:30 a.m. at the Niceville Food World to carpool. Call 651-0392.
• Sept. 28: Bird Walk at Ft. Pickens, Gulf Islands National Seashore led by Alan Knothe. Meet at 7 a.m. at Uptown Station in Fort Walton Beach or at Langdon Battery at 8:15 a.m. Call 862-3498.
Destin Library to close
The Destin Library will be closed to the public Sept. 9-11 for interior reconstruction. The interior project is focused on enhancing space and services for public use. The library will reopen at 9 a.m. Sept. 12. Call 837-8572
The Destin Area Chamber of Commerce will celebrate Business Palooza! from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sept. 10 at Destin United Methodist Church. Twenty local businesses will showcase their products and services at this “mini-expo” and networking lunch. Register at www.DestinChamber.com or call 837-6241. Cost is $15/members who pre-register, $20/members at the door, and $30/non-members. All registrations due by 3 p.m. Sept. 6.
Fudpucker’s Night Out
Making Strides Against Breast Cancer of the Emerald Coast presents a night out from 6-10 p.m. Sept. 10 at Fudpucker’s on Okaloosa Island. Enjoy music by sax player Al Alvarado and vocalist Eva Barrett. Entry fee is $15 and includes T-shirt, specials on food and drinks. There are door prizes and drawings. A portion of the proceeds will go to Making Strides of the Emerald Coast.
College Night, a free annual event that features representatives from more than 60 colleges and universities from several states, will be held from 6-8 p.m. Sept. 11 in the Raider Arena on the NWFSC campus in Niceville. Call 729-6467.
Registration for the Fall Prime Time series of personal enrichment classes offered by Northwest Florida State College begins Sept. 11 at all seven NWFSC locations in Niceville, Fort Walton Beach, Eglin, Hurlburt, Crestview, DeFuniak Springs and South Walton. The PRIME Time schedule of classes and information is available on the college website at www.nwfsc.edu/schedule and at community locations such as libraries and chambers of commerce, or call 729-6084.
Middle School Dance
Destin Middle School Cheerleaders host a social evening of dancing, music, and refreshments from 7-9 p.m. Sept. 13 at the Destin Community Center. Cost is $5/person. Register at 654-5184.
St. Andrew’s By-the-Sea Episcopal Church, 307 Harbor Blvd. in Destin, will hold a silent auction from 5-8 p.m. Sept. 13 to support its outreach ministries. There will be live music, heavy home-made appetizers, beer, wine and soda and plenty of items up for bids. Tickets are $10/person and are available now or at the door. For tickets, call 650-2737.
Thrivent Financial will hold a free educational workshop, “Social Security: Strategize To Maximize,” at 9 a.m. Sept. 14 at Grace Lutheran Church, 4325 Commons Drive in Destin, to help people understand that Social Security is just part of their overall retirement picture. To register, call 420-7321 or email Tara.Hearn@thrivent.com by Sept. 6. Complimentary refreshments will be served.
The merchants of Downtown Fort Walton Beach will host a Farmer's Market from 8 a.m. to noon Sept. 14 at 201 S. E. Miracle Strip Parkway in the grassy area behind Burrito Del Sol and Bella Day Spa & Hair Studio. Vendors will have locally grown and handmade items, such as fresh farm produce and fruit, honey, baked goods, fresh eggs, Greek and German food items, jams, jellies, dips, salsas, handmade soaps and scrubs, and more.
Cardboard Boat Race
Bluewater Bay Marina hosts its annual Cardboard Boat Race at 4 p.m. Sept. 15. Registration begins at 3 p.m. Entry fee for adult division is $40, junior division (12 and under), $20. Prizes will be awarded. For more information, Rules and Regulation or to pre-register, call 897-2821 or visit www.bluewaterbaymarina.com.
Safety First For All
Meet McGruff and Vince & Larry the Crash Test Dummies from 3:30-6:30 p.m. Sept. 16 in the parking at Destiny Worship Center, 122 Poinciana Blvd. in Destin. Event includes bicycle rodeo and helmet fittings, car seat checks, child passenger safety information and equipment, prizes and giveaways. Call 892-8172.
Author Linda Colquitt Taylor will sign copies of her book, “LSU Alphabet Book,” from 4-5:30 p.m. Sept. 19 at End Zone Apparel, 34940 Emerald Coast Parkwayt, Suite 106 in Destin. Future Tigers will love learning the alphabet as they find out all about LSU. Alumni will love reminiscing about LSU from seeing azaleas to hearing zydeco music.
Let’s Talk Marine Debris
Henderson Beach State Park in Destin and its support organization, The Friends of Emerald Coast State Parks, hosts a marine debris educational program from 8-10 a.m. Sept. 21 as part of National Public Lands Day. Learn what marine debris is, where it comes from, how long it takes to biodegrade, and the effects it has on marine life. Also, participate in the Florida Coastal Clean-up, scheduled at the park. Event weather permitting. Park entrance fees are waived to participants. Call 837-7550.
Classes in Tai Chi, an ancient form of exercise, will be offered from 9-10 a.m. Mondays beginning Sept. 23 at the Destin Library. Cost is $5/session. Register by phone at 837-8572 or in person at the Library.
Day for Kids
Boys & Girls Clubs of the Emerald Coast hosts its annual free Day for Kids from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sept. 28 at the Fort Walton Beach Landing.
Opportunity Place will hold volunteer training at 9:309 a.m. Sept. 26 at 305 Lovejoy Road in Fort Walton Beach. Volunteers are needed for administrative duties, shelter help, special events and more at the shelter for homeless women and families seeking temporary housing. To RSVP for training call 409-3070 or email Lill@owh-mail.org.
Okaloosa and Walton County residents can join the American Heart Association Heart Walk at 7:30 a.m. Sept. 28 at NWFSC in Niceville. The non-competitive, three-mile walk includes teams of employees from local companies, along with friends and family members of all ages. For information, call 1-800-257-6941, ext. 6082 or visit www.owheartwalk.org.
IT Pro Camp
An IT Pro Camp will be held from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Oct. 5 at the Northwest Florida State College Niceville Campus, Student Services Center (SSC) at 100 College Blvd. The one-day learning event is free of charge and geared toward professional development for those working in the IT field and is also open to high school or college students or the general public who have an interest in computer science. Advance registration is requested as space is limited. Advance registration is available at http://itprocamp.com/northwestflorida. The event includes door prizes from Microsoft and other vendors, as well as refreshments. Call 729-6099 or firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
Walk to End Alzheimer’s
The Alzheimer’s Association Walk to End Alzheimer’s begins at 8:45 a.m. Oct. 12 at the Baytowne Wharf at Sandestin. Registration opens at 7:30 a.m. For information, call 225-0680 or email email@example.com, or visit http://act.alz.org/site/TR/Walk/AL-AlabamaFloridaPanhandle?fr_id=3241&pg=entry.
Harbor Docks will host its 19th Annual Thanksgiving Feast. People from all walks of life gather at the Destin restaurant in a true Thanksgiving tradition. Those who are capable of making donations are encouraged to do so. All proceeds raised benefit Habitat for Humanity and Destin Harvest projects.
The following events are held regularly at the Destin Library. Call 837-8572
• Tai Chi for Arthritis: At 7 a.m. Wednesdays. Cost is $5/class.
• Cuddlers & Toddlers Storytime: From 3-3:45 p.m. Tuesdays and 9:30-10:15 a.m. Thursdays for ages 4 months to 4 years.
• Independent Film Series: Independent and foreign films shown at 7 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month.
• Friends of the Destin Library: Monthly meeting held at 10 a.m. the second Friday of each month.
Destin Community Center
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Chair yoga: Monday and Thursday at 10 a.m. Cost is $3/class.
• Duplicate bridge: Mondays and Thursdays at 9:30 a.m. and 12:320 p.m. Wednesdays. Entry fee: $6. No partner needed. Bridge lessons 11 a.m. Wednesdays.
• Intermediate party bridge: Mondays and Tuesdays at 12:45 p.m. at Buck Destin Park. Call 837-1967. Beginning bridge class at 12:30 p.m. Wednesdays. $2/session.
• Jazzercise class: 6 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Call 621-3055.
• Kidz Klub: After-school program from 3:30-5:30 p.m. Now accepting applications.
• Low Impact Aerobics: Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 9:15 a.m. Bring water and a towel. Cost is $3/session.
• MMA Fitness: Class from 6-7 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday for all ages. Cost is $7. Grappling bags and gloves provided.
• Pickleball: Pickle Ball courts are available. Call if interested.
• Walking Club: Walk with music from 8-9 a.m. Monday-Friday.
• Woodcarving: Fridays at 9 a.m. Fee is $2.
• Yoga: Thursdays at noon. Cost is $5/class.
• Zumba gold: Monday and Thursday at 11 a.m. Cost is $6/class.