All area codes are 850 unless noted.
Main Street Market
Destin’s Main Street Market is open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday in the parking lot of the Destin Water Users Building, 218 Main Street, with fresh local produce, baked goods, jams and jellies, jewelry, soap, farm fresh eggs, milk, local roasted coffee, tacos, Crust artisan bakers, fresh gyros and salads. Call 855-6384.
Meet and Greet
Join volunteers of the Emerald Coast Community Garden Project Nov. 2 at the American Legion, 311 Main St. in Destin. Attire is casual comfort. Visit the garden, meet the volunteers and enjoy food and drinks.
A Crossfit Challenge will be held at 10 a.m. Nov. 2 at Fort Walton Beach Crossfit to benefit Opportunity Place, a shelter that provides temporary housing for homeless women, children and families in Okaloosa and Walton counties. All levels of athletes are welcome to participate as an individual or 4-person relay team. Special fun Halloween activities will be held for the kids. Registration is $25 a person and all money raised stays in Okaloosa County to support the programs and services of Opportunity Place. Call 409-3070 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for registration information.
AAA Member Appreciation
Silver Sands Premium Outlets invite AAA members to “Show their Card and Save” at the Information Center Nov. 2 and 3. Members will receive a one-day saving flyer and a chance to win prizes.
Holiday Extravaganza: The Volunteer Guild at Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast’s annual holiday sale begins Nov. 4 from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and continues through Dec. 20. Call 278-3032.
Candy drive for the troops
Sarah K’s Gourmet, 34940 U.S. 98 in Destin, will collect left over Halloween candy through Nov. 9 for troops stationed overseas during the fifth annual candy drive for the troops. Children are encouraged to pen the soldiers a note and include a picture of him or herself dressed up for Halloween.
The 50th Annual Camellia Show and Plant Sale, presented by the Greater Fort Walton Beach Camellia Society, will be held from 1-4 p.m. Nov. 9 in the atrium of Westwood Retirement Resort, 1001 Mar Walt Drive. Awards will be given in several divisions and categories. No entries will be accepted for competition after 10:30 a.m. Nov. 9. Call 477-3625 or email email@example.com.
Coastal Holiday Market
An art and craft show, the Coastal Holiday Market will be held from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Nov. 9 at St. Rita Catholic Church, 173 Moll Drive in Santa Rosa Beach. More than 25 artisans and crafters will be on display. Cinnamon rolls and coffee available, and Boy Scouts will serve lunch.
The Destin Library has scheduled workshops, Twitter Me, My iPad, Digital Photography, Microsoft Publisher, Facebook, Finding Books Online and Craigslist from September through November at the Library. View workshop descriptions at www.cityofdestin.com. Registration forms are available by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information call 837-8572.
Miles of Memories
The inaugural “Miles of Memories,” a 5k Run/Walk and 1-Mile Walk to benefit Alzheimer’s Family Services, begins at 8 a.m. Nov. 9 at 2300 N. Partin Drive. All proceeds from the event remain in Okaloosa and Walton Counties to serve families impacted by Alzheimer’s disease and dementia. Early registration is $20 for the 5k run/walk or $10 for the 1-mile walk, with day-of registration going up to $25 and $15. Participants and teams can sign up and get more information at www.milesofmemoriesniceville.kintera.org.
Choctawhatchee Audubon Society
A bird walk to Ft. Pickens, Gulf Island National Seashore, will be led by well-known birder, Leonard Fenimore Nov. 9. See late migrants, such as loons, grebes, and hawks. Bring water, insect repellent, long pants and closed-toe shoes, and be prepared to walk. Meet at 7:30 a.m. at Uptown Station in Fort Walton Beach. Call 863-2039.
Community blood drive
American Legion Post 296, 311 Main St. in Destin, hosts a community blood drive from 8 a.m. to noon Nov. 10. Call 837-3818.
The public is invited to walk at 10 a.m. Nov. 11 with American Legion Post 296, 311 Main St., for a Veterans Day Sidewalk Parade. Call 837-3818.
Okaloosa County Supervisor of Elections will hold Candidate University from 9 a.m. to noon in Fort Walton Beach and 6-9 p.m. in Crestview Nov. 14 for anyone interested in running for public office or just wanting to learn about the candidate process. Call Bridget Richard at 689-5600 or email email@example.com to register before Nov. 8.
Harvest House will host its fifth annual Christmas Bazaar from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Nov. 16 at 300 Mountain Drive in Destin. Waffle House will provide free food for the outdoor event. Christmas items that have been collected throughout the year will be on sale at discounted prices. Proceeds from the thrift store sales are used to stock the food pantry and provide area families turkeys, hams, fresh vegetables and all of the trimmings for Thanksgiving and Christmas meals.
Color Me Cured
The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation’s inaugural Color Me Cured 5K/10K Fun Run will be held at 9 a.m. Nov. 30 at Fort Walton Beach Landing. Along the route you will be drenched in an array of vibrant colors. Food and entertainment follows. Register at 8 a.m. Call 830-7126 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for fees and registration.
The Third Annual Luminaria Run to End Domestic & Sexual Violence, a unique twilight run, will take place at 4:30 p.m. Dec. 7 beginning at Destin City Hall Annex. The course will follow a path through the Indian Bayou neighborhood lined with more than 2,000 luminarias. The race includes 5k and 9k courses.
Early bird registration is available through Sept. 30 with cost adults, 5k — $25; 9k — $40. Children ages 3 through 12 are $10 for the 5k and $15 for the 10k.
To register, visit www.shelterhousenwfl.org or www.imathlete.com or call 243-1201.
Christmas in the Village Craft Show will be held from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Dec. 7 and 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Dec. 8 at the Destin Community Center. Cost is $40/residents and $50/non-residents. Visit cityofdestin.com for an application.
The merchants of Downtown Fort Walton Beach will hold a Farmer’s Market from 8 a.m. to noon March 8 in downtown Fort Walton Beach, 201 S.E. Miracle Strip Parkway in the grassy area behind Burrito Del Sol and Bella Day Spa & Hair Studio.
Future dates include April 12, May 10, June 14, July 12 and Aug. 9.
The Junior League of the Emerald Coast’s sixth annual Spring Market will be held April 26 and 27 at the Emerald Coast Convention Center on Okaloosa Island and will feature vendors from around the country selling unique gifts and quality merchandise.
The following events are held regularly at the Destin Library. Call 837-8572.
• Tai Chi: 9-10 a.m. Mondays. Cost is $5/class. Register by phone at 837-8572 or in person at the Library.
• Cuddlers & Toddlers Storytime: From 3-3:45 p.m. Tuesdays and 9:30-10:15 a.m. Thursdays for ages 4 months to 4 years.
• Independent Film Series: Independent and foreign films shown at 7 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month.
• Friends of the Destin Library: Monthly meeting held at 10 a.m. the second Friday of each month.
Destin Community Center
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Adult Open Gym: Monday from 6-9 p.m. for 17 and up to play full-court pickup basketball games. Destin residents are free and non-residents are $2.
• Brazilian Martial Arts: A Capoeira class that combines the elements of dance, acrobatics and music from 7-9 p.m. Thursdays.
• Cheerleading: Currently accepting registrations for Winter Destin Dolphin Cheerleading program for youth ages 5-12. Cost is $20/residents and $30/non-residents plus uniform costs. Practices begin early November and games start after Thanksgiving.
• Duplicate bridge: Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays at 10 a.m. Entry fee: $6. No partner needed.
• Intermediate party bridge: Mondays and Tuesdays at 12:45 p.m. at Buck Destin Park. Call 837-1967. Beginning bridge class at 12:30 p.m. Wednesdays. $2/session.
• Kidz Klub: After-school program from 3:30-5:30 p.m. Monday-Friday for grades K-4.
• Low Impact Aerobics: Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 9:15 a.m. beginning Nov. 4. Bring water and a towel. Cost is $3/session.
• MMA Fitness: Class from 6-7 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday for all ages. Cost is $7. Grappling bags and gloves provided.
• Pickleball: All levels, including first timers, welcome. Visit www.usapa.org to learn more. Cost is $2/resident and $3/non-resident.
• Walking Club: Walk with music from 8-9 a.m. Monday-Friday.
• Woodcarving: Fridays at 9 a.m. Fee is $2.
• Youth Basketball League: Practices begin the week of Nov. 4 with games starting after Thanksgiving for ages 3-15. Fees are $45/residents and $55/ non-residents. Team sponsorships needed. Registrations being accepted.
• Zumba gold: Thursday at 11 a.m. Cost is $6/class.