All area codes are 850 unless noted.
Kaps 4 Kids
Ronald McDonald House's annual Kaps 4 Kids (K4K) fundraiser kicks off with an informational meeting at 6 p.m. Jan. 15 at McDonald’s, 895 Harbor Blvd. in Destin. RSVP at 477-2273 or email email@example.com.
A volunteer training will be held at 8:30 a.m. Jan. 16 at Opportunity Place, 305 Lovejoy Road in Fort Walton Beach. Volunteers are needed for administrative duties, shelter help, special events and more at the shelter for homeless women, children and families who seek temporary emergency housing. RSVP at 409-3070 or Lill@owh-mail.org.
The City of Destin will hold its quarterly Adopt-A-Street cleanup at 8 a.m. Jan. 18. All instructions and resources needed will be provided by city staff. Individuals and businesses wishing to participate must contact Hedy Vahabzadeh at 837-6869 or email firstname.lastname@example.org before Jan. 18.
Volunteers are needed as judges, referees and supporters for Northwest Florida State College’s first Robotics Tournament to be held from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Jan. 18 at the Northwest Florida State College, Student Services Center in Niceville. For more information or to volunteer, email email@example.com or call 729-5202.
The Friends of the Niceville Library will host a program with Appalachian Trail adventure hiker and 2012 National Geographic Adventurer of the year, Jennifer Pharr Davis at 10 a.m. Jan. 21 at the Niceville Community Center, 204 Partin Drive. Call 279-4863, ext. 1507, or email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a seat.
The Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office and Emerald Coast Martial Arts will hold a free Women’s Self-Protection Seminar for ages 12 and up from 9:30-11:30 a.m. Jan. 25 at 252 Eglin Parkway NE in Fort Walton Beach. Dress comfortably. Call 651-7410 for more information.
Main Street Market
Destin’s Main Street Market is open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday in the parking lot of the Destin Water Users Building, 218 Main Street, with fresh local produce, baked goods, jams and jellies, jewelry, soap, farm fresh eggs, milk, local roasted coffee, tacos, Crust artisan bakers, fresh gyros and salads. Call 855-6384.
Members of Okaloosa County state legislative delegation will hold a public hearing from 5-6:30 p.m. Jan. 27 at Niceville City Hall, 208 N. Partin Drive. Public comments will be heard on proposals for the 2014 Regular Session of the Florida Legislature.
If you would like to be placed on the agenda or submit handouts, contact Amanda Neeld, legislative aide to Representative Matt Gaetz, at 850-833-9328 or by email at Amanda.Neeld@myfloridahouse.gov, no later then 5 p.m. Jan. 22. The Okaloosa County Legislative Delegation consists of Senator Greg Evers, Senator Don Gaetz, Representative Doug Broxson and Representative Matt Gaetz.
Round up your foodie friends and plan to attend a cooking class hosted by Chef Dan Pettis from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Jan. 25 at One 20 a Modern Bistro in Niceville. A Sicilian feast features cooking demonstrations, prize giveaways and recipes to take home, all to benefit Shelter House. Cost is $20/person and includes everything. A cash wine bar and prize giveaway tickets will be available for purchase. Call 243-1201.
The Sand Dunes Chapter of Embroiderers' Guild of America will have a showing of members' needlework projects, “Needle Arts in the Atrium III,” from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Feb. 15 and 1-4 p.m. Feb. 16 at the Meridian at Westwood Retirement Resort, 1001 Marwalt Drive in Fort Walton Beach. Admission is free and refreshments will be served from 2-4 p.m. Feb. 16.
Spring Craft Show
The City of Destin’s Seventh Annual Spring Craft Show will be held from 12-6 p.m. Feb. 21 and 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Feb. 22 at the Community Center. Admission is free. Vendors call 654-5184 to reserve space.
The merchants of Downtown Fort Walton Beach will hold a Farmer’s Market from 8 a.m. to noon March 8 in downtown Fort Walton Beach, 201 S.E. Miracle Strip Parkway in the grassy area behind Burrito Del Sol and Bella Day Spa & Hair Studio.
Future dates include April 12, May 10, June 14, July 12 and Aug. 9.
The Junior League of the Emerald Coast’s sixth annual Spring Market will be held April 26 and 27 at the Emerald Coast Convention Center on Okaloosa Island and will feature vendors from around the country selling unique gifts and quality merchandise.
The following events are held regularly at the Destin Library. Call 837-8572.
• Tai Chi: 9-10 a.m. Mondays. Cost is $5/class. Register by phone at 837-8572 or in person at the Library.
• Cuddlers & Toddlers Storytime: From 3-3:45 p.m. Tuesdays and 9:30-10:15 a.m. Thursdays for ages 4 months to 4 years.
• Independent Film Series: Independent and foreign films shown at 7 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month.
• Friends of the Destin Library: Monthly meeting held at 10 a.m. the second Friday of each month.
Destin Community Center
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Adult Open Gym: Monday from 6-9 p.m. for 17 and up to play full-court pickup basketball games. Destin residents are free and non-residents are $2.
• Brazilian Martial Arts: A Capoeira class that combines the elements of dance, acrobatics and music from 7-9 p.m. Thursday.
• Chair Yoga: Free class at 10 a.m. Monday and Thursday.
• Duplicate bridge: Monday, Wednesday and Thursday at 10 a.m. Entry fee: $6. No partner needed.
• Intermediate party bridge: Monday and Tuesday at 12:45 p.m. at Buck Destin Park on Legion Drive. Call 837-1967. Beginning bridge class at 12:30 p.m. Wednesday. Cost $2.
• Kidz Klub: After-school program from 3:30-5:30 p.m. Monday-Friday for grades K-4. Snacks provided.
• Line dancing: Beginners class begins at 12:30 p.m. Thursday, open dance at 1:15 and intermediate dancers at 1:30. Fee is $5.
• Low Impact Aerobics: Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 9:15 a.m. Cost is $3/session.
• MMA Fitness: Class from 6-7 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday for all ages. Cost is $7. Grappling bags and gloves provided.
• Pickleball: All levels, including first timers, welcome. Visit www.usapa.org to learn more. Cost is $2/resident and $3/non-resident.
• Table tennis: Competition from 2:30-5 p.m. Tuesdays and 9 a.m. to noon Thursdays.
• Turbo kick: Fitness class at 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays. Fee is $10.
• Walking Club: Walk with music from 8-9 a.m. Monday-Friday.
• Woodcarving: Fridays at 9 a.m. Fee is $2.
• Yoga: Bring a mat and towel at noon Thursdays. Cost is $6.
• Zumba gold: Mondays and Thursdays at 11 a.m. Cost is $6.