All area codes are 850 unless noted.
The 2014 Emerald Coast Boat Show will be held March 14-16 at the Emerald Coast Convention Center on Okaloosa Island with more than 35 vendors and 50 boats on display. Learn fishing tips from local experts.
The Destin Harbor Farmers’ Market will open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. March 15 at 314 Harbor Blvd. Items include farm fresh produce, baked goods, Greek, Mediterranean, Indian, Italian and Mexican food, organic dog treats and more.
Studio Destin will hold a free countertop makeover demonstration from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. March 15 at 120 Benning Drive #2 in the Liberty Center. This informational seminar and demonstration is for homeowners or professionals. Call 598-3289 to make a reservation.
Month of Giving
During the Fourth Annual March “Month of Giving” fundraising campaign, customers can make a donation to Habitat for Humanity of Okaloosa at Jersey Mike’s Subs in Destin. Jersey Mike’s “Day of Giving,” with 100 percent of the day’s sales going to Habitat, will be on March 26.
St. Catty’s Day 9-Lives Raffle
Feline Friends of Destin will host St. Catty’s Day 9-Lives Raffle March 17 at Carrabba’s Italian Grill at Silver Sands Premium Outlets. All proceeds will benefit the rescue of feline friends.Visit www.FelineFriendsOfDestin.com or the PetSmart adoption center in Destin on Saturday or Sunday to purchase tickets and for official rules. Ticket prices are $10 per ticket, $25 for three tickets, $50 for eight tickets, or $100 for 20 tickets. Call 837-3869.
Covenant Hospice will offer a free seminar, “Prevention of Medical Errors and Methods to Improve Patient Safety,” at 5:15 p.m. March 18 at 220 Eglin Parkway NE in Fort Walton Beach. Reservations are required by March 13 at 598-0861.
Spring Break camp
The Destin Community Center will offer a “Spring into Fun” Camp from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. the week of March 24-28 with a water day, park day, games, crafts, and more. Pre-registration is required. Cost is $60/residents and $70/non-residents and includes lunch and snacks. Call 654-5184.
Abuse of addictive pharmaceutical drugs is on the rise. Learn to recognize the signs of drug abuse and get your loved ones help if they are at risk. Call Narconon for a free brochure on the signs of addiction for all types of drugs. Narconon also offers free assessments and referrals. Call 800-431-1754 or email DrugAbuseSolution.com.
Alzheimer’s support group
Alzheimer's Family Services hosts a new support group for family members or friends coping with a loved one with Alzheimer’s disease at 2 p.m. the last Tuesday of the month beginning March 25 at Sacred Heart of the Emerald Coast, Suite 3 Conference Room in Miramar Beach. The support group is free and limited respite care is available. To make arrangements, call 866-478-7790.
The 2014 Relay for Life of the Emerald Coast will hold a spaghetti dinner fundraiser at 5:30 p.m. March 26 at Clemenza’s, 75 Eglin Parkway, Suite 126 in Uptown Station. Purchase pre-sold tickets at 240-8137 or 496-6652. Minimum donation is $25. Beverages and desserts available for purchase.
Posture, Purses and Prosecco
Regatta Chiropractic and Laser Center will host Posture, Purses and Prosecco from 5:30-7:30 p.m. March 27 at the office of Dr. Shawna Hogan, 4481 Legendary Drive, Suite 150, to benefit the Junior League of the Emerald Coast. The event will feature wine tastings, hors d’oeuvres, live music, LuxExchange handbags and wallets with a portion of proceeds benefiting Junior League, a free chair massage with Orlando Branch, a silent auction and a free gift bag. RSVP to email@example.com.
A workshop to assist students in Okaloosa County High Schools who will take the April 12 ACT and the May 3 SAT will be held from 2-5 p.m. April 7, 8, 14 and 15 in the Media Center at Fort Walton Beach High School and from 2-5 p.m. April 9, 10, 16 and 17 in the Media Center at Niceville High School. All materials, snacks and drinks are furnished. Students need to bring calculators. Registration deadline is March 13. For information, contact Alice Hart at 615-585-2401, email Amhart1966@aol.com or contact your high school guidance department.
Income Tax Help
Volunteers from AARP will provide free individual federal tax assistance by appointment only from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursdays through April 10 at the Destin Library. Call 837-8572 to make appointment.
Women on Wellness
Fort Walton Beach Medical Center, Twin Cities Hospital and the Costa Leadership Institute at NWFSC will present the Third Annual Women on Wellness symposium from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. April 11 at the college in Niceville. Register at www.WomenOnWellness.org or call 729-6880.
The merchants of Downtown Fort Walton Beach will hold a Farmer’s Market from 8 a.m. to noon April 12 in downtown Fort Walton Beach, 201 S.E. Miracle Strip Parkway in the grassy area behind Burrito Del Sol and Bella Day Spa & Hair Studio.
Future dates include May 10, June 14, July 12 and Aug. 9.
The Junior League of the Emerald Coast’s sixth annual Spring Market will be held April 26 and 27 at the Emerald Coast Convention Center on Okaloosa Island and will feature vendors from around the country selling unique gifts and quality merchandise. To become a sponsor or a vendor, email JLECMarket@yahoo.com. Call 862-2665.
Flea Market/Yard Sale
Vendor spots are available for those interested in selling items for a fee of $20/Destin residents and $25/non-residents during the
Flea Market and Yard Sale from 8 a.m. to noon May 10 in the parking lot of the Destin Community Center. No rain date. Call 654-5184 for all information.
Cram the Canoe
Help fill new canoes with new athletic shoes for girls and boys ages 10-15 and sporting goods such as balls, outdoor games and life jackets during the Florida Sheriff’s Youth Ranch fundraiser. Donations can be dropped off to any school resource officer until the end of the school year.
Destin Community Center
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Adult Open Gym: Monday from 6-9 p.m. for 17 and up to play full-court pickup basketball games. Destin residents are free and non-residents are $2.
• Brazilian Martial Arts: A Capoeira class that combines the elements of dance, acrobatics and music from 7-9 p.m. Thursday.
• Chair Yoga: Monday and Thursday at 10 a.m. Cost is $4.
• Duplicate bridge: Monday and Thursday at 9:15 a.m. and Wednesdays at 12:30. Entry fee: $6. No partner needed.
• Intermediate party bridge: Monday and Tuesday at 12:45 p.m. at Buck Destin Park on Legion Drive. Call 837-1967. Cost $2.
• Kidz Klub: After-school program from 3:30-5:30 p.m. Monday-Friday for grades K-4. Snacks provided.
• Line dancing: Beginners class begins at 12:30 p.m. Thursday, open dance at 1:15 and intermediate dancers at 1:30. Fee is $5.
• Low Impact Aerobics: Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 9:15 a.m. Cost is $3/session.
• MMA Fitness: Tuesday and Thursday from 6-7 p.m. for all ages. Cost is $7/person. Grappling bags and gloves provided.
• Pickleball: All levels, including first timers, welcome. Cost is $2/resident and $3/non-resident.
• Shotokan Karate: Class promotes life enrichment, physical fitness, discipline, focus and self-defense at 6 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Fee is $65/month.
• Table tennis: Competition from 2:30-5 p.m. Tuesdays and 9 a.m. to noon Thursdays.
• Turbo kick: Fitness class at 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays. Fee is $10.
• Walking Club: Monday-Friday from 8-9 a.m. Walk with music.
• Woodcarving: Fridays at 9 a.m. Fee is $2.
• Yoga: Bring a mat and towel at noon Thursdays. Cost is $6.
• Zumba gold: Mondays and Thursdays at 11 a.m. Cost is $6.