All area codes are 850 unless noted.
Sarah K’s Gourmet, 34940 U.S. 98 in Destin, will host its Fourth annual Halloween Candy Drive Thursday, Nov. 1 through Saturday, Nov. 10 for our troops stationed overseas. Children are encouraged to pen the soldiers a note and include a picture of him or herself dressed up for Halloween.
Choctawhatchee Audubon Society
• Nov. 1: Meeting at 6:30 p.m. in Room 302 of the new Student Services Center at the Niceville campus of N/W Florida State College. The meeting is free and open to anyone who has an interest in birds or nature. Call 8582-7064.
• Nov. 3: Bird walk at South Walton Courthouse Annex with Dee Nickerson. Meet at the Bluewater Bay Winn-Dixie at 7:30 a.m. or at the Courthouse at 8 a.m. Call 897-2035. Wear long pants and sleeves.
Veterans and military hiring fair
The Workforce Development Board of Okaloosa and Walton Counties and its JobsPlus One-Stop Career will host the Sixth Annual Northwest Florida Veterans & Military Hiring Fair from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Nov. 2 the Navarre Conference Center. While the free hiring fair is designed to assist veterans in finding jobs in the local community, it is also open to the public.
St. Simon's Craft Fair
Shop more than 100 booths of Southern artisans offering jewelry, ceramics, glasswork, Christmas decorations, and many other handcrafted gifts and treasures. At the 38th Annual Arts & Crafts Fair from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Nov. 2 and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Nov. 3 at St. Simon’s Episcopal Church, 28 Miracle Strip Parkway in Fort Walton Beach.
St. Simon’s Bake Shop features pepper jelly and Cajun pickles and the Kitchen Café has goodies and lunch. Proceeds benefit local charities and special ministries. There is no admission charge.
Indoor Yard Sale
The Fort Walton Family YMCA, 1127 Hospital Road, will hold an Indoor Yard Sale from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Nov. 3 in the gymnasium. For vendor information, call 863-9622.
The Track in Destin will hold Fight the Fight, Find a Cure from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Nov. 3. Cost is $15/person and $8/Kids County and Golf only. Cash only. Rides included are Family track, Bumper boats, Bumper Cars, Rookie Track, Kids Country, Wild Woody, Slick Track and miniature golf.
Proceeds will go to the Dr. Sandra Hanson’s Breast Clinic. Hotdogs available for purchase while supplies last.
Florida Trail Association
The Florida Trail Association will hold the following events. Visit www.choctaw.floridatrail.org or call the listed number.
• Nov. 3: Volunteers needed for trail maintenance on Eglin reservation at 8 a.m. Eglin recreation permit required. Call 683-0803 or 243-5005.
• Nov. 10: Bring the kids for an educational kid’s (and adult’s) hike at Krul Lake at 8:30 a.m. A day use fee is required. Call 803-9190 or 865-7075.
• Nov. 10: An overnight backpacking trip on Eglin near DeFuniak Springs at noon. Eglin recreation permit is required. Call 585-5150.
• Nov. 14: A 6.6-mile hike on the Alaqua Trail near DeFuniak Springs at 8:30 a.m. Eglin recreation permit required. Call 651-0902.
• Nov 17: A 10-mile hike on the Econfina Trail in Bay County at 9 a.m. Call 302-528-8284 or 689-8528.
• Nov. 22: A pot luck Thanksgiving dinner at Blackwater River State Park at noon with a short, leisurely hike around the Chain of Lakes trail afterwards. Call 682-6098.
• Nov. 27: Meeting at 6 p.m. at Ed’s Hometown Seafood & Steaks in Niceville. Visitors welcome. Call 654-1172.
A free Women’s Self-Defense class for ages 12 and up, sponsored by the Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office, will be held from 9:30-11 a.m. Nov. 3 at 252 Eglin Parkway in Fort Walton Beach, next to Yamato’s Japanese Restaurant. Dress comfortably; loose clothing and sneakers preferred.
Call 651-7153 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Pearls for Purple Hearts
Pearls for Purple Hearts, a fashion show and silent auction of vintage and classic gowns and formal wear, will be held from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Nov. 3 at the Emerald Coast Convention Center on Okaloosa Island. Guests will be served refreshments as they enjoy live music from local artists while viewing and bidding on a collection of gowns and formal wear selected for the silent auction. All proceeds will go directly to the Special Operations Warrior Foundation. Email email@example.com for more information.
Wounded Warrior Amputee Softball Team
The Wounded Warrior Amputee Softball Games double-header will be held at 2 and 5 p.m. Nov. 3 at Morgan Sports Center in Destin. Both games are free and open to the public.
Coastal Holiday Market
The second annual Coastal Holiday Market will be held from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Nov. 10 at St. Rita Church, 173 Moll Drive in Santa Rosa Beach. There will be more than 30 artisans and crafters, homemade cinnamon rolls and Boy Scouts to serve lunch.
Corpus Christi Catholic Church will hold a Fall Bazaar from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Nov. 10 in the newly-remodeled Parish Hall. The bazaar will feature second hand treasures, homemade crafts and bake sale. Tables f are for rent for $25. Call 650-1599.
The Volunteer Guild at Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast hosts its annual Holiday Sale Extravaganza from 9:30 a.m. to 4:p.m. Nov. 10 and 12-16. Shoppers will receive a 15 percent discount on most gift shop items and a 20 percent discount on varying holiday items. Call 278-3032.
Crafts, Treasures and Delights Bazaar
The Air Force Enlisted Village’s “Crafts, Treasures and Delights Bazaar” will be held from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Nov. 10 at the Bob Hope Village ballroom, 30 Holly Ave. in Shalimar. The bazaar is open to the public. Admission and parking are free.
Holiday shoppers will find a variety of items including hand crafted jewelry, natural skin care products, handmade hair clips, Scentsy, Mary Kay, baked goods, Pampered Chef, seasonal home decor, Christmas ornaments, stained glass, stationery, baskets, tapestries, Tastefully Simple, soaps, candles, Tupperware, and more. The bazaar is open to the public. Admission and parking are free.
Cheeseburger in Paradise will host a Toy Drive from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 10 in the parking lot of the business at Silver Sands Premium Outlets to help local foster children.
A free appetizer card will be given for any donation of a new toy, and a 20 percent discount on lunch that day will be given for any food dropped off. Also, remember there are teenagers in foster homes, and gift cards or teenager gifts would be greatly appreciated. Call 357-3562 or 837-0197.
Krispy Kreme will honor veterans and active military personnel in uniform or with valid military identification with a free coffee and doughnut for Veterans Day on Nov. 11 at participating Krispy Kreme locations. No purchase necessary.
Arbor Wealth Management, LLC, a “Fee-Only” Registered Investment Advisory Firm, will host an “Income Generation Seminar” at 10 a.m. Nov. 14 in the Arbor Wealth Conference Room. Strategies are most appropriate for investors with $250,000 or more of investable assets. Refreshments will be served. Call 608-6121 to reserve seating.
Holiday Craft In the Village
The annual Holiday Craft in the Village will be held from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 16 and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Nov. 17 at the Destin Community Center, 101 Stahlman Ave. Call 654-5184.
Community Yard Sale
The Panhandle Animal Welfare Society needs donations for its Community Yard Sale. From 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. Nov. 17 at the Northwest Florida Fairgrounds on Lewis Turner Boulevard in Fort Walton Beach. Donations can be dropped off at PAWS, 752 Lovejoy Road in Fort Walton Beach, from 9a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Beginning Nov. 5, donations may be dropped off at the Northwest Florida Fairgrounds from 9a.m. to 3p.m. Monday through Friday. Other times and drop off locations can be arranged by calling 243-1525. All funds raised will provide nutrition, shelter and healthcare for the thousands of homeless, abused and neglected animals PAWS provides care for on an annual basis.
The Destin Snowbirds will open the “Roost” and have a ribbon cutting ceremony to begin the 2012-2013 year at 2 p.m. Nov. 19 at the Destin Community Center.
A workshop to assist students in Okaloosa County High Schools who will take the Dec. 8 ACT and the Dec. 1 SAT will be held from 2:15 to 4:15 p.m. Nov. 28, 29, 30, and Dec. 3, 4 and 5 at Fort Walton Beach High School. All materials, snacks and drinks are furnished. Students need to bring calculators. Registration deadline is Nov. 9. For information, contact Alice Hart at 615-585-2401, email Amhart1966@aol.com or contact your high school Guidance Department.
The following events are held regularly at the Destin Library. Call 837-8572
• Tai Chi for Arthritis: At 7 a.m. Wednesdays. Cost is $5/class.
• Cuddlers & Toddlers Storytime: From 3-3:45 p.m. Tuesdays and 9:30-10:15 a.m. Thursdays for ages 4 months to 4 years.
• Independent Film Series: Independent and foreign films shown at 7 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month.
• Friends of the Destin Library: Monthly meeting held at 10 a.m. the second Friday of each month.
Destin Community Center
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Baton lessons: Begins in the spring. Call 699-8309.
• Chair yoga: Thursday at 10 a.m. Cost is $3/class.
• Duplicate bridge: At 9:30 a.m. Mondays and 12:30 p.m. Wednesdays and 9:30 a.m. Thursdays at Buck Destin Park. Entry fee: $6. No partner needed.
• Game room: Open to children 10 and older and under 10 accompanied by adult from 1-9 p.m. Monday-Friday.
• Intermediate party bridge: Mondays and Tuesdays at 12:45 p.m. at Buck Destin Park. Call 837-1967.
• Jazzercise class: 6 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Call 621-3055.
• Kidz Klub: After-school program from 3:30-5:30 p.m.
• Modern line dance: Classes from 12:30 to 2 p.m. Wednesdays beginning Jan. 11. Fee is $5/class.
• Open gym: Check ahead for times and dates open.
• Pickle ball: Pickle Ball courts will be set up at noon Mondays and Thursdays for beginning players and 10 a.m. Wednesdays and Fridays for advanced players. Fee is $2.
• Table tennis: 9 a.m. to noon Thursdays and 3-5 p.m. Tuesdays.
• Tennis Academy: A tennis program with USPTA Professional Brian Wilson at Buck Destin Park on Legion Drive. This program will be open to all ages and abilities with days and times to be determined. Group classes will be one hour long and cost $15 a session. Private lessons will be $50 an hour. To sign up or for more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Walking Club: Walk with music from 8-9 a.m. Monday-Friday.
• Woodcarving: Fridays at 9 a.m. Fee is $3.
• Yoga: Thursdays at noon. Cost is $5/class.
• Zumba gold: Thursday at 11 a.m. Cost is $6/class.