TODAY, NOV. 14
Arbor Wealth Management, LLC, will host an “Income Generation Seminar” at 10 a.m. Nov. 14 in the Arbor Wealth Conference Room. Strategies are most appropriate for investors with $250,000 or more of investable assets. Refreshments will be served. Call 608-6121 to reserve seating.
Northwest Florida State College will hold a “NWFSC-Get Started: What You Need to Know to Start College” information session for new and prospective students from 6-8 p.m. Nov. 14 in the Student Services Center on the Niceville Campus. Call 729-6467.
Moms ‘CAN’ Do
Baby Boot Camp, the fitness and nutrition program for new moms, will offer free Moms “CAN” Do class that incorporates canned food items into the workout at 9:10 a.m. Nov. 14 at Morgan Sports Complex in Destin. Participants are asked to bring two 15 oz. non-perishable food items to use in the workout and then they wiill be donated to Destin Harvest in Destin. Call 376-4497.
Dr. Nitin Bawa will present a seminar about “Hormones and Weight Loss” at 5 p.m. Nov. 14 in the Destin clinic, 155 Crystal Beach Drive. Call 424-7320 to reserve your spot. The first ten seats can be reserved at no charge but after that it will cost $10 per head. The $10d can be applied toward any service purchased at Dr. Bawa's clinic other than co pays.
All area codes are 850 unless noted.
The Volunteer Guild at Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast hosts its annual Holiday Sale Extravaganza from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 14-16. Shoppers will receive a 15 percent discount on most gift shop items and a 20 percent discount on varying holiday items. Call 278-3032.
The City of Destin’s 5th Annual Holiday Craft Show will be held from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 16 and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Nov. 17 at the Destin Community Center, 101 Stahlman Ave. Vendors will have artwork, handmade crafts, scrapbooking, silk florals, food products, jewelry and many more unique gift ideas. Call 654-5184.
Florida Trail Association
The Florida Trail Association will hold the following events. Visit www.choctaw.floridatrail.org or call the listed number.
• Nov 17: A 10-mile hike on the Econfina Trail in Bay County at 9 a.m. Call 302-528-8284 or 689-8528.
• Nov. 22: A pot luck Thanksgiving dinner at Blackwater River State Park at noon with a short, leisurely hike around the Chain of Lakes trail afterwards. Call 682-6098.
• Nov. 27: Meeting at 6 p.m. at Ed’s Hometown Seafood & Steaks in Niceville. Visitors welcome. Call 654-1172.
Community Yard Sale
PAWS will hold its 2012 PAWS Community Yard Sale from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. Nov. 17 at the Northwest Florida Fairgrounds in Fort Walton Beach. Adoption dogs will be on site, microchips will be $15 and rabies vaccinations will be $5 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. For donation pick up and drop off information, call 243-1525. All funds raised go to provide nutrition, shelter and healthcare for homeless, abused and neglected animals.
The Destin Snowbirds will open the “Roost” and have a ribbon cutting ceremony to begin the 2012-2013 year at 2 p.m. Nov. 19 at the Destin Community Center.
Mainstay Financial Group will present a special update on Medicare at 10 a.m. Nov. 19 in the Suite 3 Resource Center conference room at Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast. Attendees will learn the A, B, C, and D’s of Medicare in 2013. To register for this free seminar, call 278-3600.
Mike Huckabee will sign copies of his book, “Dear Chandler, Dear Scarlett,” at 2 p.m. Nov. 23 at Books-A-Million in Destin Commons.
The Midnight Madness sale at Silver Sands Premium Outlets kicks off at midnight as Thanksgiving ends and runs through Sunday with a wide range of savings, early-bird offers and more. Hours are 12 a.m. to 10 p.m. Nov. 23, 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Nov. 24 and 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Nov. 25.
OASIS, the Okaloosa AIDS Support and Informational Services, will commemorate World AIDS Day by hosting Holiday Jubilee at 6:30 p.m. Dec. 1 St. Andrews By-the-Sea Episcopal Church, 307 Harbor Blvd (U.S. 98) in Destin. The evening will feature holiday hors d’oeuvres, wine and festive beverages, seasonal musical entertainment, and an silent auction. Tickets are $20/person and funds raised will be used by OASIS to assist those in our area who are affected by HIV/AIDS. Call 314-0950 to purchase tickets, donate auction items, or volunteer.
Choctawhatchee Audubon Society
• Dec. 1: Bird Walk in the Niceville/Valparaiso area with bird photographer Walt Spence, for a tour of birding spots around Boggy and Rocky Bayous. The bird walk is free and open to the general public. Meet in front of Badcock Furniture on SR 20 in Niceville at 7:30 a.m. Call 582-7064.
• Dec. 6: Local ornithologist Alan Knothe will present “Identification of Less Common Birds Seen in the Christmas Bird Count” at the Chapter meeting at 6:30 p.m. in Room 132 of the Student Services Center of Northwest Florida State College. Call 582-7064.
• Dec. 8: The Chapter’s annual Christmas Party will be held at 6 p.m. at Ed’s Restaurant in Palm Plaza in Niceville. There will be bird slideshows, a raffle, and lots of feathered fun. The public is welcome. Call 678-6665 to make reservations.
• Dec. 17: Participate in the The Christmas Bird Count. No experience is necessary. There are opportunities for either spotters or recorders. Call 323-1448.
Waterford Wedgwood at Silver Sands will host an in-store signing reception from 12-4 p.m. Dec. 7 with Gerard Treacy, Waterford Brand ambassador and master glass blower. Phone orders call 650-1636.
The following events are held regularly at the Destin Library. Call 837-8572
• Tai Chi for Arthritis: At 7 a.m. Wednesdays. Cost is $5/class.
• Cuddlers & Toddlers Storytime: From 3-3:45 p.m. Tuesdays and 9:30-10:15 a.m. Thursdays for ages 4 months to 4 years.
• Independent Film Series: Independent and foreign films shown at 7 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month.
• Friends of the Destin Library: Monthly meeting held at 10 a.m. the second Friday of each month.
Destin Community Center
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Baton lessons: Begins in the spring. Call 699-8309.
• Chair yoga: Thursday at 10 a.m. Cost is $3/class.
• Duplicate bridge: At 9:30 a.m. Mondays and 12:30 p.m. Wednesdays and 9:30 a.m. Thursdays at Buck Destin Park. Entry fee: $6. No partner needed.
• Game room: Open to children 10 and older and under 10 accompanied by adult from 1-9 p.m. Monday-Friday.
• Intermediate party bridge: Mondays and Tuesdays at 12:45 p.m. at Buck Destin Park. Call 837-1967.
• Jazzercise class: 6 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Call 621-3055.
• Kidz Klub: After-school program from 3:30-5:30 p.m.
• Modern line dance: Classes from 12:30 to 2 p.m. Wednesdays beginning Jan. 11. Fee is $5/class.
• Open gym: Check ahead for times and dates open.
• Pickle ball: Pickle Ball courts will be set up at noon Mondays and Thursdays for beginning players and 10 a.m. Wednesdays and Fridays for advanced players. Fee is $2.
• Table tennis: 9 a.m. to noon Thursdays and 3-5 p.m. Tuesdays.
• Tennis Academy: A tennis program with USPTA Professional Brian Wilson at Buck Destin Park on Legion Drive. This program will be open to all ages and abilities with days and times to be determined. Group classes will be one hour long and cost $15 a session. Private lessons will be $50 an hour. To sign up or for more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Walking Club: Walk with music from 8-9 a.m. Monday-Friday.
• Woodcarving: Fridays at 9 a.m. Fee is $3.
• Yoga: Thursdays at noon. Cost is $5/class.
• Zumba gold: Thursday at 11 a.m. Cost is $6/class.