All area codes are 850 unless noted.
Thanksgiving at Harbor Docks
The entire Destin community is invited to attend a family tradition of free Thanksgiving dinner from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Nov. 22 at Harbor Docks on U.S. 98 in Destin. Give thanks while enjoying the beauty of the Destin Harbor. Although dinner is free, donations are requested as a thank you and to assist Habitat for Humanity with their continued work.
Florida Trail Association
The Florida Trail Association will hold the following events. Visit www.choctaw.floridatrail.org or call the listed number.
• Nov. 22: A pot luck Thanksgiving dinner at Blackwater River State Park at noon with a short, leisurely hike around the Chain of Lakes trail afterwards. Call 682-6098.
• Nov. 27: Meeting at 6 p.m. at Ed’s Hometown Seafood & Steaks in Niceville. Visitors welcome. Call 654-1172.
Mike Huckabee will sign copies of his book, “Dear Chandler, Dear Scarlett,” at 2 p.m. Nov. 23 at Books-A-Million in Destin Commons.
The Midnight Madness sale at Silver Sands Premium Outlets kicks off at midnight as Thanksgiving ends and runs through Sunday with a wide range of savings, early-bird offers and more. Hours are 12 a.m. to 10 p.m. Nov. 23, 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Nov. 24 and 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Nov. 25.
OASIS, the Okaloosa AIDS Support and Informational Services, will commemorate World AIDS Day by hosting Holiday Jubilee at 6:30 p.m. Dec. 1 St. Andrews By-the-Sea Episcopal Church, 307 Harbor Blvd (U.S. 98) in Destin. The evening will feature holiday hors d’oeuvres, wine and festive beverages, seasonal musical entertainment, and an silent auction. Tickets are $20/person and funds raised will be used by OASIS to assist those in our area who are affected by HIV/AIDS. Call 314-0950 to purchase tickets, donate auction items, or volunteer.
Choctawhatchee Audubon Society
• Dec. 1: Bird Walk in the Niceville/Valparaiso area with bird photographer Walt Spence, for a tour of birding spots around Boggy and Rocky Bayous. The bird walk is free and open to the general public. Meet in front of Badcock Furniture on SR 20 in Niceville at 7:30 a.m. Call 582-7064.
• Dec. 6: Local ornithologist Alan Knothe will present “Identification of Less Common Birds Seen in the Christmas Bird Count” at the Chapter meeting at 6:30 p.m. in Room 132 of the Student Services Center of Northwest Florida State College. Call 582-7064.
• Dec. 8: The Chapter’s annual Christmas Party will be held at 6 p.m. at Ed’s Restaurant in Palm Plaza in Niceville. There will be bird slideshows, a raffle, and lots of feathered fun. The public is welcome. Call 678-6665 to make reservations.
• Dec. 17: Participate in the The Christmas Bird Count. No experience is necessary. There are opportunities for either spotters or recorders. Call 323-1448.
Information sessions for 2013-14 admission to the Collegiate High School at Northwest Florida State College will be held at 5:30 p.m. Dec. 3 and 13 on the NWFSC Niceville campus on the main floor, room 132, of the Student Services Center. For information contact the office at 729-4949. The school will be closed Dec. 19 to Jan. 1 for the holidays.
If interested in running for public office or just want to learn about the candidate process, attend Candidate University presented by the Okaloosa County Supervisor of Elections from 9 a.m. to noon Dec. 10 at the Water & Sewer Building, 1894 Lewis Turner Blvd. in Fort Walton Beach. Contact Bridget Richard at 689-5600 or email email@example.com to register before Dec. 6.
Waterford Wedgwood at Silver Sands will host an in-store signing reception from 12-4 p.m. Dec. 7 with Gerard Treacy, Waterford Brand ambassador and master glass blower. Phone orders call 650-1636.
Arbor Wealth Management, LLC will host a seminar, “Arbor Wealth’s 2013 Market Outlook: A Roadmap to Preserving Wealth and Prospering in the New Year,” at 10 a.m. Dec. 12 in the Arbor Wealth Conference Room. Firm founder and principal Margaret R. McDowell will lead a presentation on how to protect your investment assets and grow your wealth in 2013. Refreshments will be served. Call 608-6121 to reserve seating.
The following events are held regularly at the Destin Library. Call 837-8572
• Tai Chi for Arthritis: At 7 a.m. Wednesdays. Cost is $5/class.
• Cuddlers & Toddlers Storytime: From 3-3:45 p.m. Tuesdays and 9:30-10:15 a.m. Thursdays for ages 4 months to 4 years.
• Independent Film Series: Independent and foreign films shown at 7 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month.
• Friends of the Destin Library: Monthly meeting held at 10 a.m. the second Friday of each month.
Destin Community Center
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Baton lessons: Begins in the spring. Call 699-8309.
• Chair yoga: Thursday at 10 a.m. Cost is $3/class.
• Duplicate bridge: At 9:30 a.m. Mondays and 12:30 p.m. Wednesdays and 9:30 a.m. Thursdays at Buck Destin Park. Entry fee: $6. No partner needed.
• Game room: Open to children 10 and older and under 10 accompanied by adult from 1-9 p.m. Monday-Friday.
• Intermediate party bridge: Mondays and Tuesdays at 12:45 p.m. at Buck Destin Park. Call 837-1967.
• Jazzercise class: 6 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Call 621-3055.
• Kidz Klub: After-school program from 3:30-5:30 p.m.
• Modern line dance: Classes from 12:30 to 2 p.m. Wednesdays beginning Jan. 11. Fee is $5/class.
• Open gym: Check ahead for times and dates open.
• Pickle ball: Pickle Ball courts will be set up at noon Mondays and Thursdays for beginning players and 10 a.m. Wednesdays and Fridays for advanced players. Fee is $2.
• Table tennis: 9 a.m. to noon Thursdays and 3-5 p.m. Tuesdays.
• Tennis Academy: A tennis program with USPTA Professional Brian Wilson at Buck Destin Park on Legion Drive. This program will be open to all ages and abilities with days and times to be determined. Group classes will be one hour long and cost $15 a session. Private lessons will be $50 an hour. To sign up or for more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Walking Club: Walk with music from 8-9 a.m. Monday-Friday.
• Woodcarving: Fridays at 9 a.m. Fee is $3.
• Yoga: Thursdays at noon. Cost is $5/class.
• Zumba gold: Thursday at 11 a.m. Cost is $6/class.