All area codes are 850 unless noted.
Dr. Nitin Bawa will present a Hormones and Weight Loss seminar at 5 p.m. Nov. 28 in the Destin clinic, 155 Crystal Beach Drive. Call 424 -7320 to reserve your spot. The first ten seats can be reserved at no charge but after that it will cost $10 which is credited to your account.
OASIS, the Okaloosa AIDS Support and Informational Services, will commemorate World AIDS Day by hosting Holiday Jubilee at 6:30 p.m. Dec. 1 at St. Andrews By-the-Sea Episcopal Church, 307 Harbor Blvd (U.S. 98) in Destin. The evening will feature holiday hors d’oeuvres, wine and festive beverages, seasonal musical entertainment, and an silent auction. Tickets are $20/person and funds raised will be used by OASIS to assist those in our area who are affected by HIV/AIDS. Call 314-0950 to purchase tickets, donate auction items, or volunteer.
Choctawhatchee Audubon Society
• Dec. 1: Bird Walk in the Niceville/Valparaiso area with bird photographer Walt Spence, for a tour of birding spots around Boggy and Rocky Bayous. The bird walk is free and open to the general public. Meet in front of Badcock Furniture on SR 20 in Niceville at 7:30 a.m. Call 582-7064.
• Dec. 6: Local ornithologist Alan Knothe will present “Identification of Less Common Birds Seen in the Christmas Bird Count” at the Chapter meeting at 6:30 p.m. in Room 132 of the Student Services Center of Northwest Florida State College. Call 582-7064.
• Dec. 8: The Chapter’s annual Christmas Party will be held at 6 p.m. at Ed’s Restaurant in Palm Plaza in Niceville. There will be bird slideshows, a raffle, and lots of feathered fun. The public is welcome. Call 678-6665 to make reservations.
• Dec. 17: Participate in the The Christmas Bird Count. No experience is necessary. There are opportunities for either spotters or recorders. Call 323-1448.
Mac Users Group
The Mac Users Group will meet at 6:30 p.m. Dec. 3 at 6:30 p.m. at the NWF State College Student Services Building, Room 132. JVO Weaver will present "The secrets of iPhoto — a powerful free app for your Mac. Call 862-3327 or email email@example.com.
Information sessions for 2013-14 admission to the Collegiate High School at Northwest Florida State College will be held at 5:30 p.m. Dec. 3 and 13 on the NWFSC Niceville campus on the main floor, room 132, of the Student Services Center. For information contact the office at 729-4949. The school will be closed Dec. 19 to Jan. 1 for the holidays.
If interested in running for public office or just want to learn about the candidate process, attend Candidate University presented by the Okaloosa County Supervisor of Elections from 9 a.m. to noon Dec. 10 at the Water & Sewer Building, 1894 Lewis Turner Blvd. in Fort Walton Beach. Contact Bridget Richard at 689-5600 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to register before Dec. 6.
Waterford Wedgwood at Silver Sands will host an in-store signing reception from 12-4 p.m. Dec. 7 with Gerard Treacy, Waterford Brand ambassador and master glass blower. Phone orders call 650-1636.
Arbor Wealth Management, LLC will host a seminar, “Arbor Wealth’s 2013 Market Outlook: A Roadmap to Preserving Wealth and Prospering in the New Year,” at 10 a.m. Dec. 12 in the Arbor Wealth Conference Room. Firm founder and principal Margaret R. McDowell will lead a presentation on how to protect your investment assets and grow your wealth in 2013. Refreshments will be served. Call 608-6121 to reserve seating.
WinterWild children’s camp, a winter break camp for grades 1-6, will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Dec. 31 through Jan. 4 at HarborWalk Village in Destin. Enjoy wildlife encounters, marine education and beach activities. Cost is $30/day; sibling discount, $20/day. Call 650-1880.
Ride along with a deputy, tour the courthouse, go to the firing range and more during the Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Citizens Academy from 6-9 p.m. Monday nights, Jan. 7 through April 1, at the Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Administrative Building. Contact Ashley Bailey, crime prevention specialist, at 651-7153 or email email@example.com.
The following events are held regularly at the Destin Library. Call 837-8572
• Tai Chi for Arthritis: At 7 a.m. Wednesdays. Cost is $5/class.
• Cuddlers & Toddlers Storytime: From 3-3:45 p.m. Tuesdays and 9:30-10:15 a.m. Thursdays for ages 4 months to 4 years.
• Independent Film Series: Independent and foreign films shown at 7 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month.
• Friends of the Destin Library: Monthly meeting held at 10 a.m. the second Friday of each month.
Destin Community Center
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Baton lessons: Begins in the spring. Call 699-8309.
• Chair yoga: Thursday at 10 a.m. Cost is $3/class.
• Duplicate bridge: At 9:30 a.m. Mondays and 12:30 p.m. Wednesdays and 9:30 a.m. Thursdays at Buck Destin Park. Entry fee: $6. No partner needed.
• Game room: Open to children 10 and older and under 10 accompanied by adult from 1-9 p.m. Monday-Friday.
• Intermediate party bridge: Mondays and Tuesdays at 12:45 p.m. at Buck Destin Park. Call 837-1967.
• Jazzercise class: 6 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Call 621-3055.
• Kidz Klub: After-school program from 3:30-5:30 p.m.
• Modern line dance: Classes from 12:30 to 2 p.m. Wednesdays beginning Jan. 11. Fee is $5/class.
• Open gym: Check ahead for times and dates open.
• Pickle ball: Pickle Ball courts will be set up at noon Mondays and Thursdays for beginning players and 10 a.m. Wednesdays and Fridays for advanced players. Fee is $2.
• Table tennis: 9 a.m. to noon Thursdays and 3-5 p.m. Tuesdays.
• Tennis Academy: A tennis program with USPTA Professional Brian Wilson at Buck Destin Park on Legion Drive. This program will be open to all ages and abilities with days and times to be determined. Group classes will be one hour long and cost $15 a session. Private lessons will be $50 an hour. To sign up or for more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Walking Club: Walk with music from 8-9 a.m. Monday-Friday.
• Woodcarving: Fridays at 9 a.m. Fee is $3.
• Yoga: Thursdays at noon. Cost is $5/class.
• Zumba gold: Thursday at 11 a.m. Cost is $6/class.