All area codes are 850 unless noted.
Morgan Stanley Seminar
Marilu Lammon, financial advisor at Morgan Stanley, will host a seminar, “Plan for Your Future. Make It Happen,” at 11:30 a.m. Dec. 6 in the Morgan Stanley Conference Room, 133 Racetrack Road NW in Fort Walton Beach. Lunch will be served. Call 863-7270 to reserve a space for this complimentary educational seminar
Choctawhatchee Audubon Society
• Dec. 6: Local ornithologist Alan Knothe will present “Identification of Less Common Birds Seen in the Christmas Bird Count” at the Chapter meeting at 6:30 p.m. in Room 132 of the Student Services Center of Northwest Florida State College. Call 582-7064.
• Dec. 8: The Chapter’s annual Christmas Party will be held at 6 p.m. at Ed’s Restaurant in Palm Plaza in Niceville. There will be bird slideshows, a raffle, and lots of feathered fun. The public is welcome. Call 678-6665 to make reservations.
• Dec. 17: Participate in the The Christmas Bird Count. No experience is necessary. There are opportunities for either spotters or recorders. Call 323-1448.
Topsail Hill Preserve State Park in Santa Rosa Beach will hold the following tours. All programs except Breakfast with a Ranger require a $6 entry admission into the park. Outside tours are canceled during severe weather. For information, call 267-8330.
• Dec. 7: Find out about the smallest beach mice that live only in the dunes near the beach at 1:30 p.m.
• Dec. 8: Breakfast with a Ranger and ask questions about park wildlife at 9 a.m. To cover the cost of food please bring $5, which goes to Friends of Topsail Hill Preserve State Park to enhance the park or bring your own breakfast.
• Dec. 15: Hike to one of the beautiful and rare coastal dune lakes at 2:30 p.m. at Campbell Lake.
• Dec. 28: Why do you burn the woods? Come join us at this A Ranger led program to learn why/how/when we burn our forests at 1:30 p.m.
• Jan 1: Turpentine Trail Hike at 1:30 p.m. for America’s State Parks First Day Hikes.
If interested in running for public office or just want to learn about the candidate process, attend Candidate University presented by the Okaloosa County Supervisor of Elections from 9 a.m. to noon Dec. 10 at the Water & Sewer Building, 1894 Lewis Turner Blvd. in Fort Walton Beach. Contact Bridget Richard at 689-5600 or email email@example.com to register before Dec. 6.
Waterford Wedgwood at Silver Sands will host an in-store signing reception from 12-4 p.m. Dec. 7 with Gerard Treacy, Waterford Brand ambassador and master glass blower. Phone orders call 650-1636.
Arbor Wealth Management, LLC will host a seminar, “Arbor Wealth’s 2013 Market Outlook: A Roadmap to Preserving Wealth and Prospering in the New Year,” at 10 a.m. Dec. 12 in the Arbor Wealth Conference Room. Firm founder and principal Margaret R. McDowell will lead a presentation on how to protect your investment assets and grow your wealth in 2013. Refreshments will be served. Call 608-6121 to reserve seating.
An information session for 2013-14 admission to the Collegiate High School at Northwest Florida State College will be held at 5:30 p.m. Dec. 13 on the NWFSC Niceville campus on the main floor, room 132, of the Student Services Center.
For information contact the office at 729-4949. The school will be closed Dec. 19 to Jan. 1 for the holidays.
WinterWild children’s camp, a winter break camp for grades 1-6, will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Dec. 31 through Jan. 4 at HarborWalk Village in Destin. Enjoy wildlife encounters, marine education and beach activities. Cost is $30/day; sibling discount, $20/day. Call 650-1880.
Ride along with a deputy, tour the courthouse, go to the firing range and more during the Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Citizens Academy from 6-9 p.m. Monday nights, Jan. 7 through April 1, at the Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Administrative Building. Contact Ashley Bailey, crime prevention specialist, at 651-7153 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Free pancakes at IHOP
IHOP will give away free pancakes from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Feb. 5 to celebrate National Pancake Day. The fundraiser aims to raise $3 million to kick off Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals’ 30th anniversary.
The following events are held regularly at the Destin Library. Call 837-8572
• Tai Chi for Arthritis: At 7 a.m. Wednesdays. Cost is $5/class. • Cuddlers & Toddlers Storytime: From 3-3:45 p.m. Tuesdays and 9:30-10:15 a.m. Thursdays for ages 4 months to 4 years.
• Independent Film Series: Independent and foreign films shown at 7 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month.
• Friends of the Destin Library: Monthly meeting held at 10 a.m. the second Friday of each month.
Destin Community Center
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Baton lessons: Begins in the spring. Call 699-8309.
• Chair yoga: Thursday at 10 a.m. Cost is $3/class.
• Duplicate bridge: At 9:30 a.m. Mondays and 12:30 p.m. Wednesdays and 9:30 a.m. Thursdays at Buck Destin Park. Entry fee: $6. No partner needed.
• Game room: Open to children 10 and older and under 10 accompanied by adult from 1-9 p.m. Monday-Friday.
• Intermediate party bridge: Mondays and Tuesdays at 12:45 p.m. at Buck Destin Park. Call 837-1967.
• Jazzercise class: 6 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Call 621-3055.
• Kidz Klub: After-school program from 3:30-5:30 p.m.
• Modern line dance: Classes from 12:30 to 2 p.m. Wednesdays beginning Jan. 11. Fee is $5/class.
• Open gym: Check ahead for times and dates open.
• Pickle ball: Pickle Ball courts will be set up at noon Mondays and Thursdays for beginning players and 10 a.m. Wednesdays and Fridays for advanced players. Fee is $2.
• Table tennis: 9 a.m. to noon Thursdays and 3-5 p.m. Tuesdays.
• Tennis Academy: A tennis program with USPTA Professional Brian Wilson at Buck Destin Park on Legion Drive. This program will be open to all ages and abilities with days and times to be determined. Group classes will be one hour long and cost $15 a session. Private lessons will be $50 an hour. To sign up or for more information, email email@example.com.
• Walking Club: Walk with music from 8-9 a.m. Monday-Friday.
• Woodcarving: Fridays at 9 a.m. Fee is $3.
• Yoga: Thursdays at noon. Cost is $5/class.
• Zumba gold: Thursday at 11 a.m. Cost is $6/class.