All area codes are 850 unless specified
Sacred Heart Hospital
The following classes will be held at Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast. To register, call 278-3600 or toll-free (877) 416-1600 unless noted.
• Safe Sitter: The nationally recognized program will be held from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Feb. 9 in the education classroom at the Family Birth Place. Cost is $25. Registration required. Participants should bring their own lunch.
•Stroke support group: A free stroke support group will meet at 3 p.m. Feb. 11 in the Suite 3 conference room for stroke survivors, caregivers and family members. To join the group, call 278-3600.
• Breastfeeding 101: Class will be held at 6 p.m. Feb. 12 in the education room on the second floor of the Family Birth Place. The cost is $10. Registration required.
•Joint replacement: Education classes at 10 a.m. Feb. 18 and March 4 in the hospital’s Resource Center Suite 3 conference room. To attend, call Linda Ledford at 278-3646.
• Baby Basics: To help prepare future parents for the basic handling of their newborn, monthly class will be held at 6 p.m. Feb. 19 in the Family Birth Place education room. Cost is $10. Registration required.
• Breast cancer support group: Meets at 6 p.m. Feb. 21 in the Olson Women’s Diagnostic Center. Call 278-3980.
• Online childbirth class: Families will learn about the stages of labor, comfort techniques, common medical procedures, including epidurals and cesareans, and newborn and postpartum care. Engaging videos, personal birth stories, 3D animations, games, and activities make learning easy and fun. Rolling registration. Cost is $35.
Mental illness course
The National Alliance on Mental Illness and the Mental Health Association of Okaloosa and Walton Counties will offer a free 12-week course to help people cope with mental illness of family and friends from 6:30-8:30 p.m. beginning Feb. 12 at the Mental Health Association, 571 Mooney Road in Fort Walton Beach. The course provides information to family and friends as they deal with the realities of serious mental illness. Seating is limited. Make reservations at 244-1040.
Sacred Heart Medical Group Interventional Cardiologist Ajay Labroo, MD will present a free seminar on Women and Heart Disease at 10 a.m. Feb. 20 in the Suite 3 Conference Room at Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast. To register, call 278-3600.
Alzheimer’s CARE program
Area families have access to free resources included in a new program designed to help them cope with the effects of Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias. Developed by the Home Instead Senior Care network, in conjunction with a team of the top Alzheimer’s experts in North America, the Alzheimer’s CARE Program focuses on the care and dignity of individuals rather than the symptoms, diagnosis, treatments and possible cures for the disease.
Available at HelpForAlzheimersFamilies.com, the online training will teach participants how to use the CARE approach to manage behaviors, encourage engagement and care for themselves while caring for their loved one.
Also available is a free booklet, Helping Families Cope, which includes information about the CARE approach and additional information to help families who struggle with Alzheimer’s disease or other dementias.
To receive a free copy of the Helping Families Cope booklet, call 243-6464 or visit HelpforAlzheimersFamilies.com.