It’s time again to choose activities that kids will enjoy during their summer vacation. To list an activity, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mattie Kelly Arts Foundation hosts The Emerald Coast Theatre Company theater camp from July 21-27 at Destin Middle School. Cost is $125/students. Designed for students entering grades 2-12 in fall 2013, this one-week theater camp is dedicated to the development of life skills in children through participation in the performing arts. This year’s production will be “Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp.” Students will experience auditions and casting (everyone gets a role), acting, theatre games, and prop construction in a positive team building environment. Group auditions are from 3-4 p.m. July 21; camp, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. July 22-26; rehearsal, 1-5 p.m. July 27; and ticketed performance at 6 p.m. July 27. Tickets are $5/adults and children under 12 are free.
The Destin Library will host a summertime reading program puppet show at 6:30 p.m. July 25. The program is free and open to the public. The target audience is children presently in kindergarten through grade two.
The program will feature a presentation and interactive activity by Lala Land Productions — Puppet Theatre. The theme of the show will emphasize the importance of children reading during the summer months. Call 837-8572.
Destin Community Center
The following events will be held during the summer at the Destin Community Center unless noted. Call 654-5184 for information and to register.
• Kids’ Camp: Summer day camp from 9 a.m. to noon Mondays through Fridays through Aug. 9 for children ages 5 through 12 years. Towel and swimsuit required on Fridays. Comfortable clothes and tennis shoes required. Cost is $40/week for Destin residents and $45/non-residents. Advance payment required. Lunch $10 and $15.
• Dodge Ball Camp: Ages 9-14 learn official rules, techniques and strategies from 1-3 p.m. July 29-Aug. 1. Cost is $15/resident and $20/non-resident.
• Softball Camp: Ages 8-12 learn softball fundamentals from 9-11 a.m. Aug. 12 and 13 at Dalton Threadgill Little League Park. Cost is $20/resident and $25/non-resident.
• Kids' Night Out: Games, movie, pizza and fun for ages 5-12 from 6-9:30 p.m. Aug. 16. Cost is $20/resident and $25/non-resident.
SummerWILD Children’s Camp
Children in first through sixth grade can spend a week on the Destin harbor learning about exotic animals and their natural habitats with the Emerald Coast Wildlife Refuge during SummerWILD Children’s Camp from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. July 22-26, 29-Aug. 2, Aug. 5-9 and 12-16. Contact Susan Leveille at 850-830-3933 to register. Cost is $150 for the week; family discounts are available.
Children will talk with a real marine biologist, do arts and crafts, and encounter actual animals like owls, tortoises, gray foxes, and raccoons, and learn about dolphins, sharks, seashells, sandcastles, and more.
Holy Kidz Summer Camp
Holy Kidz Summer Camp includes games, activities, field trips, arts, crafts, cooking, Spanish, science, and more for children entering K-5th grade. Sessions will run from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday-Friday through Aug. 16 at the Destin Life Center at Destin United Methodist Church. To register, visit www.destinumc.org. After hour care will be provided by Destin Life Center, but you must pre-register. Cost is $100/week for first child; $80/second child. Call 586-8264.
Summer Day Camp
First Baptist Church, in partnership with Rocky Bayou Christian School Destin Campus, will hold Summer Day Camp for ages 5 to 13 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. through Aug. 2. Activities include field trips to The Track, Goofy Golf, swim lessons, roller skating, bowling and Bible lessons. Weekly cost is $113; single day, $35. Call 279-3700 or email SummerCamp@rbcs.org.
Whataburger has joined with the Destin Library to promote reading for ages 13 and younger. Children can receive coupons for a free Justaburger after they read 10 books this summer and complete a special 2013 Summer Reading Log, available at the Library. Call 837-8572.
Gulfarium Marine Adventure Park on Okaloosa Island will offer Sunset Camp to children ages 6-14 from 4-9 p.m. on select dates during the summer.
Activities include a dockside dolphin interaction, with the opportunity to feed and give behavior signals to an Atlantic bottlenose dolphin, an ocean-themed scavenger hunt throughout the park, an exploratory adventure along the beach, and dinner next to the seals. Make reservations at www.gulfarium.com or call 243-9046.
Ride On Surf School, on the beach behind Captain Dave's restaurant on Scenic Hwy. 98 in Miramar Beach, will host the following events. Call 240-7822 or visit www.rideonsurf.com.
• Billabong Surf Camp: Three-hour surf instruction from 9 a.m. to noon. Cost is $80 and includes T-shirt, goody bag. Additional days,$50.
• Group Surf Lessons: One hour instruction and one hour free surf time for 2 or more people. Cost is $55/person.
• Ride On Surf Camp: For those wanting multiple visits throughout the summer, two hour surf instruction daily (choose your times). Cost is $40/person for four or more lessons.
• Mini Surf Lesson: A half hour introductory surf instruction. Cost is $30/person.
Colossal Coaster World
A free weeklong event for children ages 4 to fifth grade will be held from 9 a.m. to noon Aug. 5-9 at First Baptist Church Destin, 201 Beach Drive, with cotton candy to amusement park setting, including a roller coaster. Other activities include crafts, music, snacks and more.
Fear can seem colossal in the eyes of a child, but First Baptist week for children will teach those who attend how to overcome fear with God’s help. Call 837-6515.