All area codes are 850 unless noted.
Destin City Hall
All City Council meetings, workshops, executive sessions and CRA Board meetings are held at the City Hall Annex, 4100 Indian Bayou Trail. All other board and committee meetings are held at City Hall, 4200 Indian Bayou Trail.
• City Council, 6 p.m. March 20
• Environmental/Parks & Rec/Tree Board Committee, 4 p.m. March 22
• Destin Youth Council, 4 p.m. March 23
• Harbor & Waterways Board, 5 p.m. March 27
Food For Thought will hold a volunteer training from 4:30-5:30 p.m. March 22 at the Destin Pantry, 908 Airport Road. No fees. Visit fftfl.org for more information.
League of Women Voters
Join the League of Women Voters of Okaloosa County for a “brown bag” lunch from 11:30-1 p.m. March 22 in Room 130, Student Services Center, NSFSC in Niceville. Guest speaker Phyllis Gonzales, DCF’s Community Development Administrator for the 1st Circuit, will explain how the 1st Circuit Community Alliance works and what you can do to help our most vulnerable residents. This collaborative government/community partnership works hard to support at-risk citizens and to achieve better outcomes for them — and ultimately for all of us. The meeting is free and the public is welcome. RSVP to email@example.com.
Meet the Doc
Pregnant women and new moms are invited to join Sacred Heart Medical Group Pediatrics for a free class about giving babies a healthy start at 5:30 p.m. March 22 at Sacred Heart Medical Group at The Market Shops, 9375 Emerald Coast Parkway West - Unit 1 in Miramar Beach. Spouses, friends, family members and support people are also invited. Call 278-3885 for more information.
A workshop to assist students in Okaloosa County High Schools who will take the May 6 SAT and April 8 ACT will be held from 2-5 p.m. April 3-4 and 10-11 in the Media Center at Fort Walton Beach High School and from 2-5 p.m. April 5-6 and 12-13 at Niceville High School. All materials, snacks and drinks are furnished. Students need to bring calculators. Registration deadline is March 21. For information, contact Alice Hart at 615-585-2401, email Amhart1966@aol.com or contact your high school guidance department.
A free celebration of Florida Archaeology Month will feature local archaeologists sharing their work and findings from the Northwest region of Florida from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. March 25 at the Destin History & Fishing Museum, 108 Stahlman Ave.
The Genealogy Society of Okaloosa County will meet at 10:30 a.m. March 25 at the Fort Walton Beach Library. Bert Outlaw will present the program and discuss how land was originally organized in the United States, metes and bounds, public domain states, reading and understanding deed land descriptions, military bounty land grants, Tract Books, and land entry case files. Call 243-0352.
Fight Cancer fundraiser
Hosted by the Ladies Auxiliary of AMVETS Post 29, 106 Benning Drive Suite 2, Destin, a topless car wash and $3 Breakfast Burritos will be held 8 a.m. to noon March 25. The bottom of car washed for free, and the top washed for a $10 donation. Crayfish Boil and Silent Auction held from 2-4 p.m. and live music by KemoSabe from 4-7 p.m.
Choctawhatchee Audubon Society
Malcolm Mark Swan leads a trip March 25 to Veteran’s Park on Okaloosa Island, home to a large rookery of nesting Great Blue Herons. Meet in the NE corner of the Emerald Coast Convention Center parking lot at 7:30 a.m. Wear closed toed shoes and a hat. Call 210-343-9082.
The Sand Dunes Chapter of Embroiderers' Guild of America will hold a stitch-in from 1:30-4:30 p.m. March 26 in the Religious Education building, Holy Name of Jesus Catholic Church, 1200 Valparaiso Blvd. in Niceville. Visitors are welcome. Call 496-3466 with any questions.
The Republican Women of Okaloosa Federated (RWOF) will host a fundraiser to help support the Dictionary Project which provides dictionaries to third graders in Okaloosa County. Enjoy Bunco, dinner and auction at 6 p.m. March 29 at the Sons & Daughters of Italy Lodge, 808 South Drive in Fort Walton Beach. Tickets are $20 and are available from Hulda Mahlum at 217-5775.
Catwalk for a Cause
The Dressing Room Boutique will host an event benefiting Children in Crisis Inc., at 6 p.m. March 30 in the courtyard of The Market Shops at the entrance of Sandestin. Tickets are $10 and can be purchased through participants and at The Dressing Room Boutique. Award-winning dancers from the Alfonso Academy will open the show, with DJ 30A providing music and entertainment during the show.
The American Cancer Society Bark For Life Canine Carnival, a noncompetitive walk event for dogs and their owners to raise funds and awareness for the American Cancer Society, will be held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. April 1 at the Destin City Complex across from the Dog Park. After the walk there will be demonstrations, contests, and games.
The14th Annual Resurrection Run 5K walk and 5K and 10K run, hosted by Village Baptist Church, 101 Matthew Blvd. in Destin, will be held at 8 a.m. April 8. The annual run benefits missions at Village both here at home and internationally with focus being water projects in North Africa. Runner registration is $30/through April 6 and $35/late or day of registration. For more information or to register, visit villagebaptist.org or active.com.
Income tax help
Volunteers from AARP will provide free individual federal tax assistance on an appointment only basis from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursdays through April 13 at the Destin Library. Call 837-8572 to make an appointment.
Dog-Harmony Inc. and Operation Spay Bay will offer spay/neuter services for pets in the Santa Rosa Beach and Destin community. On the first Monday of each month, Dog-Harmony will transport dogs and cats to Panama City where they may be spayed or neutered at a reduced cost and returned to Dog-Harmony to be reunited with their owners. The transportation is offered at no fee by Dog-Harmony; all you have to do is make an appointment one week in advance and bring your pet to Dog-Harmony in Santa Rosa Beach.
Tai Chi Class
The Destin Library will offer one-hour Tai Chi classes with Barbara Rezmer, a certified Tai Chi for Health instructor, every Monday morning at 9 a.m. The cost is $5/session. Enrollment is limited to 12 participants with registrations (on a first-come first-served basis) accepted by phone or in per-son. Call 837-8572.
Caregiver Support Group
Covenant Alzheimer’s Care support group for those caring for a loved one with Alzheimer’s or a dementia-related illness is held at 5:30 p.m. the first Thursday of every month at Brookdale Fort Walton Beach, 233 Carmel Ave. Call 864-4600.
Food For Thought Thursdays
Travinia Italian Kitchen and Wine Bar, 435 Grand Blvd. Suite Q104 in Grand Boulevard, will give 20 percent of food and drink sales to Food For Thought Outreach during Happy Hour from 3-7 p.m. April 6, first Thursday of the month.
The Art of Bonsai
The Friends Guild of the Destin Library will showcase The Art of Bonsai at 2 p.m. April 7 at the Destin Library. This event is free and open to the public. Rosemarie Voelker, a trustee of the Bonsai Society of Florida, will introduce the history of Bonsai trees and explain how to create and maintain these beautiful plants. Voelker will also have available sample Bonsai plants for inspection during this event. Call 837-8572.
Ranger Firearms and High Caliber Lady present High Caliber Fashion, personal protection seminar and concealed carry holster show fundraiser for Emerald Coast Foundation, from 10 .m. to 2 p.m. April 8 at Shoreline Church at Nightown, 140 Palmetto St. in Destin. Complimentary food and beverages. Tickets are $25/advance and $30/door with VIP tickets available for $75. Tickets available at store or www.rangerfirearms.com.
Easter Egg Hunt
The Destin Library will host its Annual Easter Egg Hunt for children ages 4 years and under from 9:30-10:30 a.m. April 12. Pre-registration is required and may be made in person at the library or by calling 837-8572. The traditional program will include door prizes, a visit by the Easter Bunny and more. Call 837-8572 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Kids Easter Crafts
Children ages 4 to 12 years, along with their parents, are invited to stop by the Destin Library from 1-4 p.m. April 14 and 10 a.m. to noon April 15 and create an Easter craft for their family. Kids will have a craft choice of Easter Egg Magnet, Easter Egg Decoration or an Easter Bunny Magnet. This event is free and open to the public.
Youth Leadership Conference
United For A Good Cause Inc., a local 501(c) (3) charitable organization, in partnership with the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Emerald Coast, will host a conference for 7th through 12th grade students in public, private, parochial and/or home-schooled, regardless of race, ethnicity, or creed, to par-ticipate. The conference will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. April 22 at 923 Denton Blvd. in Fort Walton Beach. Fee will be $10 and will include a light lunch and conference materials. Scholarships will be available to cover the conference fee for students from low-income families. Visit www.unitedforagoodcause.org.
Community Yard Sale
The Destin Community Center will host a community yard sale from 8 a.m. to noon May 6 at Dewey “Buck” Destin Park, 724 Legion Drive. Anyone interested in selling their belongings can sign up for a fee of $15/residents and $20/non-residents. This fee includes one table and chair on a section of the basketball court. Set-up will begin at 7 a.m. Parking will be at Destin Assembly of God (next door). There is a limit of one table per reservation location. To reserve a spot or for more information, call the Community Center at 850-654-5184.
Basic Life Support classes
American Heart Association Basic Life Support, Healthcare Provider Initial courses will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. May 20 at Sacred Heart on the Emerald Coast, Suite 1, Education Building. Enrollment closes May 18. Cost is $50/person. To enroll, call 278-3019 or email email@example.com.
• July 22: enrollment closes July 20
• Sept. 23: enrollment closes Sept. 21
The Destin Library has announced a new series of free how-to workshops for ages 18 and up that focus on practical projects and skills you might not have learned in school. Workshop will be held the last Tuesday of the month at 6 p.m. Light refreshments will be provided. No registration. Call 837-8572 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Destin Library's new Code Club, dedicated to enhancing the programming and coding education of today’s youth by providing free programming materials to schools and libraries, is open to children in fifth through eighth grades. Meetings will be held from 4:30-5:30 p.m. Fridays and 4:30-5:30 Tuesdays. Registration is required to participate, and will be capped at 18 students. There is no cost to register. Small snacks and drinks will be provided. Call 837-8572 or email email@example.com to register.
Bereavement Support Group
Share and learn more about the grief journey you are enduring with an Emerald Coast Hospice bereavement group at 1:30 p.m. Wednesdays at the Destin Library. Groups are free and ongoing.
Grand Boulevard Farmers’ Market
The market will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday in Grand Park in Miramar Beach between Cantina Laredo and Tommy Bahama’s. Vendors will offer locally sourced food-based items including produce, eggs, milk, butter, grass-fed beef, chicken, lamb and pork, honey, pickled vegetables and gourmet jams.
30A Farmers’ Market
This community event from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sundays in Town Center in Rosemary Beach features fresh vegetables, fruits, eggs, honey, cheese and more. Market is held on Sundays from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
Seaside Farmers Market
Get your pick of fresh produce, baked goods, dairy products, native plants and other unique offerings Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Amphitheatre behind Raw & Juicy. Enjoy special cooking demos and activities.
Emerald Coast Bridge Club will be held at 10 a.m. Monday and Thursday at St. Andrews Episcopal Church, 307 Harbor Blvd. in Destin, in the old Parlor. Cost is $7. No partner necessary. For more information, call 380-1558 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Destin Life Center
Recreation and fitness activities at Destin Life Center at Destin United Methodist Church, 200 Beach Drive, are from 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Closed Sunday. From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday visit the Soul Café for lunch. Call ahead for dine in or pick up. For information, call the DLC at 837-2021.
• Adult Open Soccer: From 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays. Fee is $2/player.
• Adult Open Volleyball: From 6-9 p.m. Tuesdays. Fee is $2/player.
• Pickleball: From 2-5 p.m. Monday-Friday and 9 a.m. to noon Saturday.
• DLC Fitness Cardio/Weight Room: Nautilus equipment, three treadmills, two ellipticals and one recumbent bike. Memberships are $40/calendar quarter; $30/month; $20/week; and $10/day.
• Community Fitness Classes: Indoor cycling, Zumba, Rise and Stretch, PIYO, Cardio Dance, Forever Young (senior aerobics) and more. Costs are $40/month; $7/class; $20/month Forever Young, fitness for seniors; and $3/individual Forever Young.
Destin Community Center
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 or email email@example.com for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Aerobics: Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 9 a.m. Bring water and towel. Cost is $3/session.
• Alzheimer’s/Dementia Support Group: From 3-4 p.m. first Wednesday of the month at the Destin Senior Center in Buck Destin Park, 724 Legion Drive. This support group is free to the public. It is sponsored by Emerald Coast Hospice. Materials are provided by the Alzheimer’s Association. This support group can be for family members and care providers in helping to deal with Alzheimer’s and Dementia. Call 654-5184 to make reservation.
• Capoeria: Class in the Brazilian martial art that combines the elements of dance, acrobatics and music will be held Tuesdays and Thursdays at 7 p.m. for all ages.
• Chair Yoga: Monday and Thursday from 10-11 a.m. Cost is $4/class.
• Destin Senior Chair Exercise 50+ years: Monday and Wednesday mornings from 10-10:45 a.m. consists of performing light exercises to help improve balance, flexibility, strength, and circulation. Free/residents.
• Dodgeball: Cancelled for February and will resume March 2 from 6-8 p.m. Thursdays children ages 8 to 14 can play. Fee is $3/non-residents and $2/residents. A waiver will be required for your child.
• Game Room: Open to children age 10 and older from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday. Basketball/volleyball court, ping pong/foosball/air hockey/pool tables
• Grief Support and Education: At 3 p.m. the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of each month at the Destin Senior Center in Buck Destin Park, 724 Legion Drive. These sessions are facilitated by Emerald Coast Hospice’s Bereavement Coordinator, Christopher Keown, and are free to the public. Anyone dealing with grief, assisting someone in their grief or curious about the experience, is welcome to join in.
• Pickleball: Play Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Call 654-5184 for times. Racquets and balls are available¬¬. Just bring gym shoes. Fee: $3/non-residents or $2/residents. Call for lesson times.
• Senior Art Lessons: The Destin Senior Center at Buck Destin Park, 724 Legion Drive, offers six-week sessions for Seniors (50 years and older). The current lessons began Oct. 6 with three weeks of pen and ink, then three weeks of acrylics. Fees are $20/non-Destin residents and $15/residents. Cost includes materials.
• Senior Drop-In Hours: The Destin Senior Center at Buck Destin Park, 724 Legion Drive, offers senior drop-in hours from 9 a.m. to noon every Tuesday and Thursday for Seniors (50 years and older) to meet and enjoy each other’s company, participate in games such as Mexican Train Dominoes, Scrabble, cards, etc.
• Senior Knitting: Sessions and lessons for beginners and all skill levels from 1-2:30 p.m. Wednesdays at the Destin Senior Center at Buck Destin Park, 724 Legion Drive. No registration required.
• Table Tennis: From 2-5 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. Paddles and balls provided. Fee is $2/resident and $3/non-resident.
• Yoga: Thursdays from 12-1 p.m. Bring a mat and towel. Fee is $6/session.
• Zumba Gold: From 11 a.m. to noon a.m. Mondays and Thursdays. Fee is $6/session.
Referral Leaders International
More than 30 of the top Destin professionals and business owners meet Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at 790 on the Gulf to share connections and referrals. Come ready to talk about your products/services and get help to grow your business. Call 897-1957.
To become more effective communicators and leaders, visit one or more of the Toastmasters clubs at the following locations or visit www.toastmasters.org/Find-a-Club.
• Club 702 White Sands Toastmasters, 12-1 p.m. Thursdays at 415 Racetrack Road NE in Fort Walton Beach.
• Club 1919 Emerald Coast Toastmasters, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Thursdays at Education Bldg 251, Room 122 on Eglin AFB.
• Club 9478 Hurlburt Toastmasters, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Wednesdays at Education Center Bldg. 221, Classroom L on Hurburt Field.
• Club 724908 Destin Toastmasters, 5:45-7:15 p.m. 1st and 3rd Tuesday each month at Walton County Utility Building.
• Club 817348 Crestview Toastmasters, 6-7 p.m. 2nd and 4th Tuesday each month at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Crestview.
• Club 851515 Lake DeFuniak Toastmasters, 12-1 p.m. 2nd and 4th Thursday each month at Northwest Florida State College, Room 103 at the Chautauqua Center.
Seniors of Destin
The Seniors of Destin meet the fourth Friday of the month for a covered dish and to celebrate all birthdays for the month. The program is spon-sored by the city of Destin and Gentiva Home Health. Each month has a featured guest speaker that pertains to senior living. Call 685-5310.
The Main Street Betterment Alliance meets at 6 p.m. Tuesdays at the American Legion, 311 Main Street. Call 837-3818.
Destin Business Builders
Destin Business Builders Networking group meets from 7:15-8:45 a.m. every Wednesday at the Destin United Methodist Life Center. Call 651-1300 ext. 13.
Coffee and Cars
Emerald Coast Muscle Car Club hosts Coffee and Cars the last Sunday of every month at Uptown Station in Fort Walton Beach. For information, call 200-2465 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Food Buying Club
A small group interested in eating healthy and purchasing smart meets at 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays at 125 Scottsdale Court in Mary Esther. On the second Tuesday, the group meets at Fountain Square in downtown Fort Walton Beach for the Growing Local film series. Call 863-4040.
Kiwanis Club of Destin
The Kiwanis Club of Destin meets every Thursday at 8 a.m. at the Destin Methodist Church Life Center on Beach Drive in Destin. The public is invited to attend the club’s weekly meetings.
The Destin Rotary meets at 7:15 a.m. every Tuesday at Rutherford’s 465. Visit www.facebook.com/pages/Rotary-Club-of-Destin/241220675890226.
Flotilla 1-4 USCG Auxiliary
Flotilla 1-4 USCG Auxiliary meets at 8 a.m. on the second Saturday of each month at Coast Guard Station Destin on Okaloosa Island. Anyone wishing to become a member is welcome to attend. Prior military duty is not required. Call 865-9130 or email www.flotilla14.info.