DESTIN — Two family pets died in a house fire Wednesday morning that seriously damaged a Destin home.

Firefighters from the Destin Fire Department Fire Control District tried to revive the two dogs that they brought out of the burning home but were not able to save them.

The fire at the home on Rue D Etretat was called in around 10:30 a.m. by someone who noticed it from the street that ran behind the home, according to Capt. David Darden.

When firefighters arrived, there was heavy smoke and flames through the roof. No one was home at the time.

The fire, which is believed to have been accidental, started in the kitchen. The dogs were found in the living room and the hallway.

The bedroom doors were closed so they had nowhere to go to escape the thick smoke, Darden said.

Firefighters knocked down the fire quickly and saved some of the family's possessions. The heat from the fire melted possessions in the living room.

It is under investigation by the State Fire Marshal's office, Darden said.