It's summer and time for fun. To submit an activity for children, email email@example.com.
Kids ages 4-12 can have a fun and educating day of art and Destin history from 9 a.m. to noon Tuesdays and Thursdays at the Destin History and Fishing Museum on Stahlman Avenue. Cost is $35/day with different projects each week. Pack a peanut free snack, water and a lunch. Register at www.abrakadoodle.com or call 424-5058.
Destin Community Center
The following events will be held during the summer. Register early, as space is limited, at www.cityofdestin.com or at the Center. Call 654-5184 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
• Open Gym/Game Room: For ages 10 and up basketball/volleyball court, ping pong/foosball/air hockey and pool tables.
• Open Basketball: For ages 9 to 16 from 6-8 p.m. Tuesdays. Fee is $3/non-residents and $2/residents. A waiver will be required for all participants.
• Dodgeball: Ages 8-14 play from 6-8 p.m. Thursdays. Fee is $2/resident and $3/non-resident.
• Kids’ Camp: Camp for ages 5-12 will be held from 9 a.m. to noon Monday-Friday with Under the Sea June 19. The camp will consist of games, crafts, swim days, structured playtime and snacks. Comfortable clothes and tennis shoes are required. The weekly fee is $50/resident and $65/non-resident. Supervision is available from noon-1 p.m. at an extra fee of $10/resident and $15/non-resident for the entire week. A cold lunch must be provided if staying the extra hour.
• June 26: Party in the USA
• July 3: No camp
• July 10: Olympics
• July 17: DCC Got Talent
• July 24: Aloha Summer
• Cooking and Serving: Youth ages 8-15 plan and prepare a luncheon from 12-3 p.m. June 20-22 and July 11-13. Cost is $50/resident and $60/non-resident.
• Dodge Ball Camp: Ages 9-14 learn official rules, techniques and strategies from 1-2:30 p.m. June 20-22 and July 18-20. Cost is $20/resident and $30/non-resident.
• Tumbling Camp: Learn the basics of tumbling from 1-3 p.m. TBA. Fee is $30/resident and $35/non-resident.
• Redbird Art Experience: Use a variety of recycled materials to express your creative side for ages 5 and up from 1:30-3 p.m. June 23. Fee is $20/resident and $25/non-resident.
• Dance Camp w/ Michael “Turboh” Burton: Learn hip-hop styles June 26-28. Ages 6-11 from 1-2 p.m. and ages 12+ from 2-3 p.m. Fee is $30/resident and $35/non-resident.
• Cheerleading Camp w/Omega Cheer: Get ready for middle school try-outs with strength training, stretching and flexibility, balance and endurance for ages 10-15 from 1-3 p.m. daily June 26-30. Fee is $55/resident and $60/non-resident.
• Pewee Cheer Camp w/middle school: Ages 5-9 improve coordination, enthusiasm, team spirit and self-confidence from 1-3 p.m. TBA. Fee is $35/resident and $45/non-resident.
• Big Truck Day: See all the trucks in the parking lot from 9-11 a.m. July 28. No charge.
• Volleyball Camp: Ages 9-14 will learn ball control, spiking, setting, and passing from 1-3 p.m. July 26-27. Fee is $25/resident and $35/non-resident.
• Babysitting Safety Course: Courses for ages 11 through 15 will be held from 1-4 p.m. July 26. Each student will be certified in CPR and First Aid. Cost $45/resident and $50/non-resident.
• Kids’ Night Out: Ages 5-12 will have a night full of games, movies and pizza from 6-9 p.m. July 14 (Star Wars). Prizes for best dressed (costume friendly). Fee is $25/resident and $30/non-resident.
Creative Kids Camps
Budding artists can enjoy a variety of hands-on art experiences this summer at The Foster Gallery in Grand Boulevard Town Center. Campers will experience multiple mediums and come home with a diverse portfolio of work. Camps available for children 4-6 years old in the morning and also in the afternoon for children 7-12 years old. Visit #ArtMatters Blog for themes, details and registration information.
• June 19-22: Imagination Camp
• June 26-29: For the Love of Art Camp
• July 10-13: Fine Art Is Fun Camp
• July 17-20: Meet the Masters Camp
• July 24-27: I Can Draw and Paint Camp
Summer On Stage Theater Camp
Emerald Coast Theatre Company’s summer camps for ages four through high school run through July 29. Tuition is from $130 per person to $425 plus a $25 registration fee. Payment plans, military, sibling, and multi-camp discounts and scholarships are available. For the full schedule, more information and to register, call 684-0323 or visit www.EmeraldCoastTheatre.org. Camps include:
Little Rascals camps for ages 4-6 are held from 9 a.m. to noon at the Bayou Arts Center in Santa Rosa Beach. Tuition is $130.
• July 10-14: The Frozen Snow Queen and Friends
• July 24-28: Hawaiian Mauna Theme
Advanced Theatre Workshops are for middle and high school students. Tuition is $150.
• So You Wanna Do Shakespeare unlocks Shakespeare’s works through his poetry and sonnets from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. June 19-21 at ECTC at Grand Boulevard in Miramar Beach. Camp ends with public performance.
• The Freedom of Improvisation, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. June 26-28 at ECTC at Grand Boulevard in Miramar Beach, is surrounded with mystery. Explore improvisation through a series of exercises and games
Disney’s “Cinderella Kids” Musical Theater Camp for grades three through nine will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. July 10-29 at ECTC at Grand Boulevard in Miramar Beach. Extended drop off/pick up available. Pack a snack, lunch, and water. Learn stage presence, acting techniques and theatre games. Tuition $425 with payments available. Final performances last week of camp with tickets $10/adults and $8/children.
Drama Kids Summer Camps
Confidence, creativity, magic and mystery are the themes of Drama Kids summer camps for ages 6-12. They will work on improvisation, script writing, and magic and put on a free performance for family and friends at the end of the week.
Camp will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. June 19-23 in Destin at Crafts Happen, 305 Mountain Drive. Fee is $150/week. For more info visit www.DramaKidsNWF.com or call 850-737-0413.
Summer camp at the Center in Freeport, Pond Pals Little, will be held from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. June 21 for children ages 5-12. Cost is $45 per session. Visit www.eowilsoncenter.org to register. For information, call 835-1824.
• June 28: All About Owls
• July 5: Radical Reptiles
• July 12: Forest Friends
• July 19: Let’s Wing It! Birds
• July 28: Buggin’ Out!
Emerald Coast Science Center
Exploration, discovery and interest in science for ages 5-10 years from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. or 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Emerald Coast Science Center, 31 Memorial Parkway SW in Fort Walton Beach.
Cost per week AM session only is $125/member or $150/non-member. Full day session is $195/member and $210/non-members. Email email@example.com or call 664-1261.
• June 19-23: Science Investigation — Campers will use investigative science to solve a mystery at the Science Center. They will investigate different places in the home where chemistry takes place and learn CSI and forensic chemistry basics.
• June 26-30: Space — Take a trip through space without leaving Earth. Campers get to learn all about the universe beyond Earth and explore the exciting developments in space travel. Campers will develop and launch rockets as well as get to explore the Mobile Planetarium. Items Needed: Students need water bottle and sack lunch for each day of camp. Please wear closed toed shoes as well as apply sunscreen and bug spray prior to drop off.
Summer Day Camp
Graduating kindergartners to graduating fifth graders will participate in daily worship and message, dancing, karaoke, arts and crafts, outdoor play, daily fitness activity and lots of gym games from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. through Aug. 4 at Destin Life Center, 200 Beach Drive. Bring your lunch, comfortable clothes and shoes.
Cost is $100 per week, per camper; $60 additional camper siblings (fee includes snack and a camp T-shirt). Call Kim Parker at 837-2021 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
There will be four off-site field trips priced individually and an additional field trip fee charged.
Summer classes and camps will be held at 30A Dancewave in Seaside at Seaside Neighborhood School. For exact classes and times or to register, visit 30ADancewave.com, call 687-6711 or email email@example.com.
• Seussical Sensational Summer Smash: 9 a.m. to noon Monday-Friday, June 19-23, ages 5-10.
• Fairy Princess Fantasy Camp: 9-11 a.m. Monday-Friday, July 10-14. Ages 4-7.
Pete the Cat: The Destin Library will host Pete the Cat Extravaganzas at 3:30 p.m. June 20 and July 11 in celebration of James Dean’s (creator and illustrator) and Eric Litwin’s (story by) popular literary creation. Join in a rip roaring time reading, singing, dancing and “all things Pete the Cat” and make merry with the many adventures of “Pete.” Crafts and activities will also be included. Preregister children grades one through three at 837-8572.
Captain Pickle: Capt. Pickle will read some of his favorite stories to children grades 1-3 at 3:30 p.m. June 27, July 11 and July 25. Preregister at 837-8572.
Captain Pickle (AKA: Destin’s own Dill Beaty) has been telling tales for decades to children by reading stories in a unique way. Among Captain Pickle’s favorite authors are Margaret Wise Brown, Eric Carle and Maurice Sendak. Since 2002, Dill Beaty has been the cartoonist for the Destin Log delighting readers with his accurate yet humorous depiction of life along the Emerald Coast.
Fort Walton Skating Center on Racetrack Road has free passes for kids 10 and under. The parents go to kidsskatefree.com/fortwaltonskate and sign up children. They get two free passes emailed to them per child every week to come skating.
The Emerald Coast Wildlife Refuge will hold its SummerWild Camp learning about all things related to wildlife rehabilitation, rescue, species, etc., from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. through Aug. 4 at HarborWalk Village for rising 1st grade to rising 5th grade. Cost is $175/week or $35/day and $150/siblings. Military discount is $158/week, $32/day and $135/siblings. Southern Star dolphin cruise $11/person in addition to camp fee.
Kids board the Emerald Grande's beach shuttle one day during the week for exploration of the marine creatures living on the shore, and practice rescuing a life-size dolphin. Also, daily animal encounters with the Refuge's animal ambassadors. Camp is fully supervised. Snacks, juice, and water provided. Campers bring their own lunch.
Please call Susan at 850-830-3933 for reservations and information.
Build A Better World
Preschool through middle school students will explore all things this summer as the Destin Library presents Build A Better World during the summer library program. Activities may include music, art, performing arts, group games, physical challenges, craft projects, experiments, and more. Families are invited to participate with their children. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Sunset Camp at Gulfarium
Sunset Camp, available from 4-9 p.m. on select Tuesdays and Thursdays through Aug. 1, includes a dockside encounter with a dolphin, an exploratory venture along the Emerald Coast beach at dusk, ocean themed activities, scavenger hunt, and dinner at Seal Harbor for ages 6-14. Price is $89 for the first child and 25 percent off each additional child within the same reservation. Visit https://www.gulfarium.com.
Kids' Art Camp
The Arts and Design Society’s "Kids' Art Camp” has classes with clay artistry and feature a different medium each day, including drawing, painting, and other media. Each week ends with an art show and reception for the families, during the second half of Friday's class. The cost for each of the week-long sessions is $70/child ($60/children of ADSO members). Pre-register by June 16 for June sessions and by July 7 for July sessions. To register, call 244-1271 or visit www.artsdesignsociety.org.
• Session 1: Ages 6-8 from 9:30-11:30 a.m. June 19-23.
• Session 2: Ages 9-13 from 1-3 p.m. June 19-23.
• Session 3: Ages 6-11 from 9:30-11:30 a.m. July 10-14.
• Session 4: Ages 6-11 from 1-3 p.m. July 10-14.
Holy Mackerel Summer Camp
Children entering kindergarten through fifth grade will start each day singing and dancing as we praise God from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. June 26-30 at Immanuel Anglican Church, 250 Indian Bayou Trail in Destin. More with Bible study, skits, games, crafts, videos, and snacks. Bring lunch, towel, and sunscreen. $25/registration fee. Cost is $80/session and $60/siblings.
Yoga Day Camp
Ages 6-12 can join the kids commUNITY and explore yoga postures, breath work, meditation, visualizations, relaxation, arts and crafts, partner yoga, cooperative group games, and fun from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. June 26-29 at Yoga Junkie Studios, 1157 John Sims Parkway in Niceville. Cost is $100/ days or $30/per day. Bring a snack. Register at www.yogajunkiestudio.com or call 279-6980.
The Biophilia Center and Mattie Kelly Arts Foundation present Music, Nature, and The Arts from 9 a.m. 2 p.m. July 17-21 and July 24-28 for grades one to eight. Campers are to bring a peanut free snack, lunch, and drink every day. All sunscreen and bug spray should be applied before they arrive at the Biophilia Center.
Alfonso Academy, 12598 U.S. Hwy. 98, Unit 104, in Miramar Beach, will offer intensive programs this year from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. July 17-21 focusing on various genres of dance including jazz, hip-hop, contemporary, musical theatre, dance improvisation and dance conditioning. There will be guest artists and a closing showcase.
The second week of the summer intensive program, called Core Ballet Foundations, will be from 10 a.m. to 2:45 p.m. July 24-28 for Level 1 dancers and from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. for Levels 2 and 3. This week will explore core work and will be interlaced with classical ballet technique training. Dancers can choose to attend one summer intensive week or both.
Discounts are available if dancers attend both weeks of the summer intensives, and all intermediate/advanced dancers ages 7 and up are welcome to sign up. Please check website or Facebook page for updates and pricing.
A Fine Arts Camp for “New Light Littles,” ages 2-6, will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. July 31-Aug. 4 and will focus on a week of pure fun, learning, and discoveries. Highlights include themed days with dance, arts and crafts, singing, drama, and much more. The week will end with a mini star-studded performance.
"Wonderfully Made" camp for girls will be held from 9 a.m. to noon July 19-21 in Sandestin. The camp is for teenage girls looking to gain confidence through knowledge of health and wellness. For prices and to save your spot, visit email@example.com.