All area codes are 850 unless noted.
Destin City Hall
All City Council meetings, workshops, executive sessions and CRA Board meetings are held at the City Hall Annex, 4100 Indian Bayou Trail. All other board and committee meetings are held at City Hall, 4200 Indian Bayou Trail.
• City Council, 6 p.m. May 21
• Environmental/Parks & Recreation, 4 p.m. May 22
� Special Magistrate Hearing, 5:30 p.m. May 22
• Town Center CRA/AC, 5:30 p.m. May 23
• Destin Youth Council, 4 p.m. May 24
A fundraiser for Boys & Girls Clubs of the Emerald Coast’s Destin Club, the Second Annual Crawfish Boil fundraiser, cooked by local celebrity Bil-lie Adams, will be held from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. May 19 at Harry T's in HarborWalk village. All proceeds plus any additional guest donations will go to benefit the Destin Club. Raffle baskets valued at more than $2,500 will be held. Tickets are $5 at 833-3132 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Tickets also available day of at Harry T's.
2018 Democratic Picnic in the Park
The Okaloosa Democratic Party’s Picnic in the Park will be held from 12-4 p.m. May 19 at Liza Jackson Park in Fort Walton Beach. There will be conversation, food and fun for everyone. Scheduled to appear are Congressional Candidates Commander Phil Ehr, USN (Ret.) and Dr. Jennifer Zimmerman MD, both of whom are running for Florida’s First Congressional District. All citizens are welcome to attend.
About Boating Safely Course
USCG Auxiliary Flotilla 1-4 will hold a Boating Safely course from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. May 19 at the Destin History and Fishing Museum. Class fee of $38 includes the course, book, exam, FWC Safe Boating ID Card, and lunch. Pre-registration required at eventbrite.com. Class topics include, among others, Introduction to Boating, Boating Law, Boat Safety Equipment and Navigation.
The Destin Community Center will host a community yard sale from 8 a.m. to noon May 19 at Dewey “Buck” Destin Park, 724 Legion Drive.
Women’s Health Seminar
Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast will host a free Women’s Health seminar, “Meet the Gynecologist,” at 5 p.m. May 23 in Sacred Heart Hospital’s Resource Center, Suite 3 Conference Room. Dinner and refreshments will be served. To register, call 278-3600 or 877-416-1620.
Horticulture, Environmental Studies
The Panhandle Horticulture and Environmental Studies Group will meet from 10 a.m. to noon May 24 at Dragon’s Mead Farm, 9431 N. Holland Road in Panama City for a tour. Following the tour, the group will have lunch at Simply Seafood, 429 Ohio Ave. in Lynn Haven. Reservations can be made at email@example.com or call 951-0623.
Strength and Balance Class
Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast will host a class on the benefits of strength and balance training at 11 a.m. May 25 at Somerby Assisted Living in Santa Rosa Beach. To register for the free seminar, call 278-3600 or 877-416-1620.
Gulf Cemetery Ceremony
Historic Gulf Cemetery will host its annual Memorial Day Ceremony at 10 a.m. May 28 at 1466 S County Highway 393 in Santa Rosa Beach. The Girl Scouts of South Walton will post the colors, a student from Seaside Middle School’s Fellowship of Christian Athletes will lead the Pledge of Allegiance and Cloud 9 Orchestra will play patriotic music. There will also be a military jet flyover and the Walton County Sheriff’s Honor Guard will provide a ceremonial volley salute to the fallen. The ceremony will conclude with a “missing man” flyover formation performed with WWII aircraft by the Destin Warbirds.
The Mac Users Group will meet at 6:30 p.m. June 4 in the NWFSC Student Services Center, Room 308/309. Anne Hornstein will present “Back to The Basics and Beyond,” including some extras about Photos, iCalendar, “Whats App,” and MoviePass. Attendees are encouraged to bring their Mac devices. For more information, call 862-3327 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Food For Thought
Food For Thought Outreach is rolling out its seventh annual summer program the first week of June. Providing hungry children and families with easy-to-prepare foods is a year round responsibility. Students in our community will miss an average of 110 meals over the summer break from school and help is needed to feed more than 350 families this summer. Sponsor a family for $35/week, $125/month or $375/summer. To make donation, visit fftfl.org.
Fresh Foodies Class
Fresh Foodies, with Chef Carrie Knife, meets on the second Tuesday of each month from 5:30-7 p.m. at the Destin School of the Arts, Building A, 200 Beach Drive. Next class is June 12. Call 837-2021, ext. 236, or email email@example.com to reserve a spot. A one-time registration fee is $25 and includes custom apron and recipe binder. Class participation is $45.
Junior Golf Classic
The Northwest Florida Daily News will host the 39th Annual Marvin DeBolt Junior Golf Classic July 11 and 12 at Eglin AFB Eagle golf course for ages 8 to 18. Proceeds benefit the Emerald Coast Children’s Advocacy Center. Youth aged 12 to 18 will play 18 holes each day, and 8 to 11 year-olds will play 9 holes each day. With tee times starting at 8 a.m. each morning, 12 to 18 year-olds entry fee is $95, and 8 to 11-year-olds’ entry fee is $60, which includes green fees, food, refreshments, and trophies to winners in all divisions. Entry deadline is noon July 7. Register on-line at www.eccac.org.
Tai Chi Class
The Destin Library will offer one-hour Tai Chi classes with Barbara Rezmer, a certified Tai Chi for Health instructor, on Monday mornings at 9 a.m. The cost is $5/session. Enrollment is limited to 12 participants with registrations (on a first-come first-served basis) accepted by phone or in per-son. Call 837-8572.
Caregiver Support Group
Covenant Alzheimer’s Care support group for those caring for a loved one with Alzheimer’s or a dementia-related illness is held at 5:30 p.m. the first Thursday of every month at Brookdale Fort Walton Beach, 233 Carmel Ave. Call 864-4600.
The Destin Library has a series of free how-to workshops for ages 18 and up that focus on practical projects and skills you might not have learned in school. Workshop will be held the last Tuesday of the month at 6 p.m. Light refreshments will be provided. No registration. Call 837-8572 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Destin Library’s Code Club for children in fifth through eighth grades will be divided into two sections, web design and game design. Meetings will be held from 4:30-5:30 p.m. Tuesdays (web design) and Fridays (game design). Registration is required to participate, and will be capped at 18 students. Register at http://www.cityofdestin.com/forms.aspx?FID=143.
Kiwanis Club of Destin
The Kiwanis Club of Destin meets every Thursday at 8 a.m. at the Destin Methodist Church Life Center on Beach Drive in Destin. The public is invited to attend the club’s weekly meetings.
The Destin Rotary meets at 7:15 a.m. every Tuesday at Rutherford’s 465. Visit www.facebook.com/pages/Rotary-Club-of-Destin/241220675890226.
Flotilla 1-4 USCG Auxiliary
Flotilla 1-4 USCG Auxiliary meets at 8 a.m. on the second Saturday of each month at Coast Guard Station Destin on Okaloosa Island. Anyone wishing to become a member is welcome to attend. Prior military duty is not required. Call 865-9130.
Bereavement Support Group
Share and learn more about the grief journey you are enduring with an Emerald Coast Hospice bereavement group at 1:30 p.m. Wednesdays at the Destin Library. Groups are free and ongoing.
Grand Boulevard Farmers’ Market
The market will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday in Grand Park in Miramar Beach between Cantina Laredo and Tommy Bahama’s. Vendors will offer locally sourced food-based items including produce, eggs, milk, butter, grass-fed beef, chicken, lamb and pork, honey, pickled vegetables and gourmet jams.
30A Farmers’ Market
This community event from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sundays in Town Center in Rosemary Beach features fresh vegetables, fruits, eggs, honey, cheese and more. Market is held on Sundays from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
Seaside Farmers Market
Get your pick of fresh produce, baked goods, dairy products, native plants and other unique offerings Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Amphitheatre behind Raw & Juicy. Enjoy special cooking demos and activities.
Destin Life Center
Recreation and fitness activities at Destin Life Center at Destin United Methodist Church, 200 Beach Drive, are from 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Closed Sunday. From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday visit the Soul Café for lunch. Call ahead for dine in or pick up. For information, call the DLC at 837-2021.
• Adult Open Soccer: From 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays. Fee is $2/player.
• Adult Open Volleyball: From 6-9 p.m. Tuesdays. Fee is $2/player.
• Pickleball: From 2-5 p.m. Monday-Friday and 9 a.m. to noon Saturday.
• DLC Fitness Cardio/Weight Room: Nautilus equipment, three treadmills, two ellipticals and one recumbent bike. Memberships are $40/calendar quarter; $30/month; $20/week; and $10/day.
• Community Fitness Classes: Indoor cycling, Zumba, Rise and Stretch, PIYO, Cardio Dance, Forever Young (senior aerobics) and more. Costs are $40/month; $7/class; $20/month Forever Young, fitness for seniors; and $3/individual Forever Young.
Destin Community Center
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 or email email@example.com for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Adult Dodge Ball: Beginning May 11, adult only dodge ball will take place from 7-9 p.m. Fridays for 17 and older. Fee is $3/non-residents and $2/residents.
• Capoeria: Class in the Brazilian martial art that combines the elements of dance, acrobatics and music will be held Thursdays at 7 p.m. for all ages.
• Destin Senior Chair Exercise 50+ years: Monday and Wednesday mornings from 10-10:45 a.m. consists of performing light exercises to help improve balance, flexibility, strength, and circulation. Free/residents.
• Destin Senior Membership: Join the Destin Seniors to enjoy multiple festivities including the senior lunch bunch, pot luck, casino trips, cruises, bingo, chair exercise, knitting, scrabble, and Mexican dominoes. Members must be a Destin resident.
• Dodge Ball: Open game from 6-8 p.m. Thursdays for children 8 to 14. Fee is $3/non-residents and $2/residents. Waiver required for children.
• Game Room: Open to children age 10 and older from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Fridays..
• Pickleball: Sessions are from 12:30-3:30. Mondays and 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Wednesdays and Fridays. Fee is $3/non-residents or $2/residents. Racquets and balls are available, just bring gym shoes.
• Senior Book Club: The Destin Senior Members meet at 10 a.m. the 2nd Wednesday of the month at the Destin Library, 150 Sibert Ave.
• Senior Drop-In Hours: The Destin Senior Center at Buck Destin Park, 724 Legion Drive, offers senior drop-in hours from 9 a.m. to noon every Tuesday and Thursday for Seniors (50 years and older) to meet and enjoy each other’s company, participate in games such as Mexican Train Dominoes, Scrabble, cards, etc.
• Senior Knitting: Sessions and lessons for beginners and all skill levels from 1-2:30 p.m. Wednesdays at the Destin Senior Center at Buck Destin Park, 724 Legion Drive. No registration required.
• Senior Walking Club: The Destin Senior Members walk around the Destin Community Center’s gymnasium from 8-9 a.m. Monday-Friday. All of the miles that you walk will be added to the “team map” as we travel from one region to the next.
• Table Tennis: Play from 9 a.m. to noon Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays. Paddles and balls provided. Fee is $2/resident and $3/non-resident.
To become more effective communicators and leaders, visit one or more of the Toastmasters clubs at the following locations or visit www.toastmasters.org/Find-a-Club.
• Club 702 White Sands Toastmasters, 12-1 p.m. Thursdays at 415 Racetrack Road NE in Fort Walton Beach.
• Club 1919 Emerald Coast Toastmasters, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Thursdays at Education Bldg 251, Room 122 on Eglin AFB.
• Club 9478 Hurlburt Toastmasters, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Wednesdays at Education Center Bldg. 221, Classroom L on Hurburt Field.
• Club 724908 Destin Toastmasters, 5:45-7:15 p.m. 1st and 3rd Tuesday each month at Walton County Utility Building.
• Club 817348 Crestview Toastmasters, 6-7 p.m. 2nd and 4th Tuesday each month at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Crestview.
• Club 851515 Lake DeFuniak Toastmasters, 12-1 p.m. 2nd and 4th Thursday each month at Northwest Florida State College, Room 103 at the Chautauqua Center.
Seniors of Destin
The Seniors of Destin meet the fourth Friday of the month for a covered dish and to celebrate all birthdays for the month. The program is spon-sored by the city of Destin and Gentiva Home Health. Each month has a featured guest speaker that pertains to senior living. Call 685-5310.
The Main Street Betterment Alliance meets at 6 p.m. Tuesdays at the American Legion, 311 Main Street. Call 837-3818.
Destin Business Builders
Destin Business Builders Networking group meets from 7:15-8:45 a.m. every Wednesday at the Destin United Methodist Life Center. Call 651-1300 ext. 13.
Food Buying Club
A small group interested in eating healthy and purchasing smart meets at 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays at 125 Scottsdale Court in Mary Esther. On the second Tuesday, the group meets at Fountain Square in downtown Fort Walton Beach for the Growing Local film series. Call 863-4040.