The 71-year-old victim was infected by bacteria at an unidentified restaurant.

A 71-year-old Sarasota man died from a bacterial infection after eating a bad oyster, according to the Florida Department of Health.

The man ate contaminated oysters at a restaurant, which has not been identified, on July 8 before dying two days later, according to state health officials. The victim has not been identified.

One of the primary risk factors for contracting the bacteria, Vibrio vulnificus, is eating raw oysters or under-cooked shellfish. While most Vibrio infections from oysters result in only diarrhea and vomiting, some infections, such as those caused by Vibrio vulnificus, can cause more severe illnesses.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website, 15 to 30 percent of all Vibrio vulnificus infections are fatal, while other cases often result in intensive care or limb amputations.

Flesh-eating bacteria, although rare, can also be contracted by entering into warm coastal waters with exposed wounds.

It is impossible to tell if a raw oyster is bad by looking at it, according to the CDC website, and it is important to note that you can get sick from eating oysters during any month of the year — despite the fact that the majority of Vibrio cases occur during the warmer months. This is especially pertinent in Florida because waters are warm year-round.

Despite old wives tales, hot sauce and lemon juice does not kill Vibrio bacteria — and neither does drinking alcohol while consuming raw oysters. The only way to kill the harmful bacteria is to cook oysters properly, according to the CDC.