TODAY, MArch 30
Northwest Florida Mensa, the high IQ society, will offer its membership test to the public at 10 a.m. March 30 in the Blue room of the Heritage Museum, 115 Westview Ave. in Valparaiso. The testing fee is $40, and a photo ID will be required. Call 315-0255.
A hike will focus on the effects of fire in our ecosystem at 1:45 p.m. March 30 at Topsail Hill Preserve State Park in Santa Rosa Beach. Program requires a $6 entry admission. Call 267-8330.
All area codes are 850 unless noted.
Spring Wild Children’s Camp
Spring Break Camp for grades 1-6 will be held April 1-5 at HarborWalk Village. Camp includes wildlife encounters, marine education and wildlife fun, and beach activities. Cost is $150/week with family discounts available. To register, call 650-1880 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
AARP Income Tax help
Volunteers from AARP will provide free individual federal tax assistance on an appointment only basis at the Destin Library from 9 am. to 5 p.m. Thursdays through April 11. Call 837-8572 and make an appointment.
Mac Users Group
The Mac Users Group will meet at 6:30 p.m. April 1 at the NWF State College Student Services Building — Room 132.Anne Hornstein will cover some of the capabilities of the Pages application and give a few hints on how to make your own website on iWeb. No reservation required. Call 862-3327 or email@example.com.
Kids Night Out
A Kids Night Out will be held from 6-9:30 p.m. April 5 and May 10 at the Destin Community. Children ages 5-12 can enjoy a night full of games, a movie, pizza, and lots of fun. The cost is $20/Destin residents and $25/non-Destin residents. Call 654-5184.
The Then and Now Lecture Series presents Judy DeBolt on "The Titaniac: 100 Years Later," at 6 p.m. April 12 inside the Indian Temple Mound Museum, 139 Miracle Strip Parkway SE in Fort Walton Beach. The lecture is free and open to the public. All seats are on a first come first serve basis. Doors will open 20 minutes prior to lecture start time. Call 833-9595.
Tune in at 6 p.m. April 13 on Cox channel 6 for the 41st Annual Cox Cablethon to benefit Covenant Hospice. The Cablethon auction will be hosted online, allowing bidders all over the nation to view and bid on items during three 10-day auctions starting April 13 at www.eventsatcovenant.org/cablethon. Covenant Hospice will host a premiere party from 5:30-7:30 p.m. at their new office location, 220 Eglin Parkway NE inFort Walton Beach. The event is free and open to the public and will feature cinema-style refreshments.
NWFSC 50th Anniversary
A yearlong 50th Anniversary celebration of Northwest Florida State College officially begins with a festive 50th Anniversary Kick-Off Assembly from 9-10 a.m. April 17 in the Raiders Arena. The event also features the dedication and opening of a permanent Doolittle Raiders historical exhibit that is being constructed in the lobby of The Arena. The doors for the public will open at 8 a.m. and admittance will continue until The Arena reaches seating capacity. The public should enter through the Raider Club doors at the south side of The Arena, rather than the main doors.
Panhandle Job Fair
The Spring 2013 Panhandle Job Fair will be open to the public from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. April 18 at St. Mary’s Parish Life Center, 165 Coral Drive in Fort Walton Beach.
Register booths at www.panhandlejobfair.com. Cost is $175 and includes table, cloth, two chairs, Wi-Fi and electrical outlets (limited, reserve early). Also lite breakfast, hot lunch, sodas and water.
The City of Destin will host a Farmers and Flea Market and Yard Sale from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. April 27 in the Destin Community Center’s parking lot. Vendor spots are available for a fee of $20/Destin residents and $25/non-residents. Call 654-5184 for more information.
Covenant Hospice needs individuals and groups to join its award-winning volunteer team. A training workshop will be held from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. May 7 at the Covenant Hospice branch office, 220 Eglin Parkway NE in Fort Walton Beach. The workshop is free and open to the public. Refreshments will be provided. To register, call 729-1800.
Opportunity Place, a shelter for homeless women and families seeking temporary housing, is in need of donations large and small for a Yard Sale/Open House to be held May 25 at 305 Lovejoy Road in Fort Walton Beach. Call 409-3070.
The following events are held regularly at the Destin Library. Call 837-8572
• Tai Chi for Arthritis: At 7 a.m. Wednesdays. Cost is $5/class.
• Cuddlers & Toddlers Storytime: From 3-3:45 p.m. Tuesdays and 9:30-10:15 a.m. Thursdays for ages 4 months to 4 years.
• Independent Film Series: Independent and foreign films shown at 7 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month.
• Friends of the Destin Library: Monthly meeting held at 10 a.m. the second Friday of each month.
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Chair yoga: Monday and Thursday at 10 a.m. Cost is $3/class.
• Duplicate bridge: Mondays and Thursdays at 9:30 a.m. and 12:320 p.m. Wednesdays. Entry fee: $6. No partner needed. Bridge lessons 11 a.m. Wednesdays.
• Intermediate party bridge: Mondays and Tuesdays at 12:45 p.m. at Buck Destin Park. Call 837-1967. Beginning bridge class at 12:30 p.m. Wednesdays. $2/session.
• Jazzercise class: 6 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Call 621-3055.
• Kidz Klub: After-school program from 3:30-5:30 p.m. Now accepting applications.
• Low Impact Aerobics: Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 9:15 a.m. Bring water and a towel. Cost is $3/session.
• MMA Fitness: Class from 6-7 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday for all ages. Cost is $7. Grappling bags and gloves provided.
• Pickleball: Pickle Ball courts are available. Call if interested.
• Walking Club: Walk with music from 8-9 a.m. Monday-Friday.
• Woodcarving: Fridays at 9 a.m. Fee is $2.
• Yoga: Thursdays at noon. Cost is $5/class.
• Zumba gold: Monday and Thursday at 11 a.m. Cost is $6/class.