Special to The Log
When the curtain came down in April on the 2012-13 season of national touring shows at the Mattie Kelly Arts Center on the Niceville campus of Northwest Florida State College, it set a record with an unprecedented 12 productions.
And while the Fine and Performing Arts Department at the college feverishly prepares to wow us with its own summer production of “Les Miserables,” scheduled to open in July, planners are also hard at work booking the 2013-14 season of Broadway Series, Artist Series and Children’s Series.
Season packages go on sale Aug. 16. The popular Flex Package returns where you choose shows to create your own customized season. Packages of five or more shows will earn the theatergoer a discount as will purchasing tickets for groups of 10 or more to a single show.
Individual tickets to all shows will go on sale Aug. 30. There is a $2 processing fee added to each ticket.
Here is a preliminary schedule, which means shows, dates and prices are still subject to change, but they will be firm before ticket sales open.
Broadway Series shows are:
• Oct. 15 – “Mamma Mia,” the hit musical featuring songs of the pop group ABBA. Tickets are $49.
• Nov. 12 – “The Addams Family,” an original story featuring the eccentric characters from the 1960s television show. Tickets are $49.
• Nov. 25 – “Hello Dolly!” starring Sally Struthers and winner of 10 Tony Awards including Best Musical. Tickets are $45.
• Feb. 22, 2014 – “Memphis,” inspired by the story of legendary deejay Dewey Phillips and the music that became known as rock ‘n’ roll. Winner of four Tony Awards. Tickets are $45.
Artist Series shows are:
• Oct. 12 – “This is the ‘60s,” a special event in conjunction with NWFSC’s 50th Anniversary Gala. Tickets are $35 for the show only or $50 for VIP reserved show seating and the 50th Anniversary Gala reception.
• Oct. 28 – “Beyond Glory,” Stephen Lang presents spellbinding stories of eight war veterans in this one-man show. Tickets are $35.
• Dec. 14 – “Spencers Art of Illusion,” a return engagement by one of the world’s best illusionist teams. Tickets are $25 for adults and $20 for youth ages 18 and younger.
• Feb. 23, 2014 – “Bring It On,” tells the story of the challenges and unexpected bonds formed through the thrill of extreme competition with breathtaking dance/aerial stunts, humor and music. Tickets are $35.
• March 8 – “The Rat Pack is Back,” a special Las Vegas event that is a fundraiser for the Northwest Florida Symphony Orchestra. Enjoy the great songs and voices of Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr. and Joey Bishop as performed in this tribute show by talented impressionist entertainers and the NFSO “big band.” Tickets are $35 and are on sale now at 850-729-6000, in person at the box office or online. No group or package discounts are available for this show.
Children’s Series shows for school groups are:
• Nov. 5 – “Teacher from the Black Lagoon”
• Jan. 28, 2014 – “Charlotte’s Web”
• Feb. 18 – “Mr. AL”