TODAY AUG. 28
• Seminar: Arbor Wealth Management, LLC, a “fee-only” registered investment advisory firm, will host an Income Generation Seminar, “How to Make Your Portfolio Pay Monthly” at 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. Aug. 28 in the Arbor Wealth Conference Room. Call 608-6121 to reserve seating. Refreshments will be served.
All area codes are 850 unless noted.
Arbor Wealth Management, LLC, a “fee-only” registered investment advisory firm, will host an Income Generation Seminar, “How to Make Your Portfolio Pay Monthly” at 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. Aug. 28 in the Arbor Wealth Conference Room. Call 608-6121 to reserve seating. Refreshments will be served.
Harvest Food Drive
Emerald Coast Hospice will hold its ninth annual Harvest Food Drive for Sharing and Caring during the month of August. Food collection boxes will be at various healthcare facilities, banks, and any business who would like to host a box. Call 862-1069.
Classes in Tai Chi, an ancient form of exercise, will be offered from 9-10 a.m. Mondays beginning Sept. 23 at the Destin Library. Cost is $5/session. Register by phone at 837-8572 or in person at the Library.
The Destin Library needs interested persons to volunteer for its 2013-2014 instructional computer program. Both instructors and teaching assistants are needed. Individuals should possess skills using the Windows XP operating system. Instructors are needed for applications/online and also equipment/device training including Kindle, Nook and iPad. If interested, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fresh Start for Children and Families hosts its annual 250 Banquet and Auction at 6 p.m. Aug. 29 in the Ramada Plaza’s Ambassador Room. Enjoy wine, hors d’oeuvres and a silent auction with emcee Ted Corcoran and entertainment by David Seering. Call 243-5648.
A workshop to assist students in Okaloosa County High Schools who will take the Sept. 21 ACT and the Oct. 5 SAT will be held from 2:15-4:15 Sept. 16-18 and 5:30-8:30 p.m. Sept. 23 and 24 in the Media Center at Fort Walton Beach High School. All materials, snacks and drinks are furnished. Students need to bring calculators. Registration deadline is Aug. 29. For information, contact Alice Hart at 615-585-2401, email Amhart1966@aol.com or contact your high school guidance department.
Park rangers at Henderson Beach State Park in Destin invite the public to participate in a celebration of reading and September’s Literacy Month from 10-11 a.m. Aug. 30. Join rangers as they read their favorite children’s books followed by refreshments and an art activity. Event weather permitting. Admission included in park admission. Call 837-7550.
Dr. Lisa Clark, voted 2012 Emerald Coast Best Physician, will sign copies of her book, Lighten Up, America, from 9-11 a.m. Aug. 31 at Sundog Books in Seaside.
Destin’s Main Street Market is open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday in the parking lot of the Destin Water Users Building, 218 Main Street, with fresh local produce, baked goods, jams and jellies, jewelry, soap, farm fresh eggs, milk, local roasted coffee, tacos, Crust artisan bakers, fresh gyros and salads. Call 855-6384.
Choctawhatchee Audubon Society
• Sept. 5: Monthly meeting at 6:30 p.m. in Room 130 of the Student Services Center of the Niceville campus of NWFSC. Program is Surveys of Wet Prairies and Rare Plants on Point Washington State Forest by Tom Greene, biologist. Call 582-7064.
• Sept. 7: Field Trip to Point Washington State Forest with biologist Tom Greene. Meet at 8:30 a.m. at the Tom Thumb at the intersection of Hwys. 98 and 331 in Walton County. Call 694-6403.
• Sept. 14: Bird Walk at the Shoal River Sanctuary hosted by Bob and Chris Larson. Meet at 7:30 a.m. at the Niceville Food World to carpool. Call 651-0392.
• Sept. 28: Bird Walk at Ft. Pickens, Gulf Islands National Seashore led by Alan Knothe. Meet at 7 a.m. at Uptown Station in Fort Walton Beach or at Langdon Battery at 8:15 a.m. Call 862-3498.
The Destin United Methodist Women hosts its fifth annual Fall Flair Arts and Crafts Show from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sept. 6 and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sept. 7 in the Destin Life Center at DUMC, 200 Beach Drive. Vendor booths, a silent auction, giant bake sale and dining at the Soul Café. All proceeds benefit church missions. Call 650-5658.
“Holly”day 5K Fun Run
The fourth annual "Holly"day 5K Fun Run is set for 7:30 a.m. Sept. 7, starting at the east pavilion at James Lee Park by the Crab Trap Restaurant on Scenic Hwy. 98. Early registration is available for $25 at www.active.com. Registration will be available the day of the race for $30. Proceeds will benefit Shred Out Cancer, a non-profit organization in memory of local teen, Holly Burke. Door prizes will be raffled, and participants will receive T-shirts and goodie bags. Call 225-1648 or 582-0806.
College Night, a free annual event that features representatives from more than 60 colleges and universities from several states, will be held from 6-8 p.m. Sept. 11 in the Raider Arena on the NWFSC campus in Niceville. Call 729-6467.
Middle School Dance
Destin Middle School Cheerleaders host a social evening of dancing, music, and refreshments from 7-9 p.m. Sept. 13 at the Destin Community Center. Cost is $5/person. Register at 654-5184.
Thrivent Financial will hold a free educational workshop, “Social Security: Strategize To Maximize,” at 9 a.m. Sept. 14 at Grace Lutheran Church, 4325 Commons Drive in Destin, to help people understand that Social Security is just part of their overall retirement picture. To register, call 420-7321 or email Tara.Hearn@thrivent.com by Sept. 6. Complimentary refreshments will be served.
The merchants of Downtown Fort Walton Beach will host a Farmer's Market from 8 a.m. to noon Sept. 14 at 201 S. E. Miracle Strip Parkway in the grassy area behind Burrito Del Sol and Bella Day Spa & Hair Studio. Vendors will have locally grown and handmade items, such as fresh farm produce and fruit, honey, baked goods, fresh eggs, Greek and German food items, jams, jellies, dips, salsas, handmade soaps and scrubs, and more.
Safety First For All
Meet McGruff and Vince & Larry the Crash Test Dummies from 3:30-6:30 p.m. Sept. 16 in the parking at Destiny Worship Center, 122 Poinciana Blvd. in Destin. Event includes bicycle rodeo and helmet fittings, car seat checks, child passenger safety information and equipment, prizes and giveaways. Call 892-8172.
Let’s Talk Marine Debris
Henderson Beach State Park in Destin and its support organization, The Friends of Emerald Coast State Parks, hosts a marine debris educational program from 8-10 a.m. Sept. 21 as part of National Public Lands Day. Learn what marine debris is, where it comes from, how long it takes to biodegrade, and the effects it has on marine life. Also, participate in the Florida Coastal Clean-up, scheduled at the park. Event weather permitting. Park entrance fees are waived to participants. Call 837-7550.
IT Pro Camp
An IT Pro Camp will be held from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Oct. 5 at the Northwest Florida State College Niceville Campus, Student Services Center (SSC) at 100 College Blvd. The one-day learning event is free of charge and geared toward professional development for those working in the IT field and is also open to high school or college students or the general public who have an interest in computer science. Advance registration is requested as space is limited. Advance registration is available at http://itprocamp.com/northwestflorida. The event includes door prizes from Microsoft and other vendors, as well as refreshments. Call 729-6099 or email@example.com for information.
Harbor Docks will host its 19th Annual Thanksgiving Feast. People from all walks of life gather at the Destin restaurant in a true Thanksgiving tradition. Those who are capable of making donations are encouraged to do so. All proceeds raised benefit Habitat for Humanity and Destin Harvest projects.
The following events are held regularly at the Destin Library. Call 837-8572
• Tai Chi for Arthritis: At 7 a.m. Wednesdays. Cost is $5/class.
• Cuddlers & Toddlers Storytime: From 3-3:45 p.m. Tuesdays and 9:30-10:15 a.m. Thursdays for ages 4 months to 4 years.
• Independent Film Series: Independent and foreign films shown at 7 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month.
• Friends of the Destin Library: Monthly meeting held at 10 a.m. the second Friday of each month.
Destin Community Center
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Chair yoga: Monday and Thursday at 10 a.m. Cost is $3/class.
• Duplicate bridge: Mondays and Thursdays at 9:30 a.m. and 12:320 p.m. Wednesdays. Entry fee: $6. No partner needed. Bridge lessons 11 a.m. Wednesdays.
• Intermediate party bridge: Mondays and Tuesdays at 12:45 p.m. at Buck Destin Park. Call 837-1967. Beginning bridge class at 12:30 p.m. Wednesdays. $2/session.
• Jazzercise class: 6 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Call 621-3055.
• Kidz Klub: After-school program from 3:30-5:30 p.m. Now accepting applications.
• Low Impact Aerobics: Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 9:15 a.m. Bring water and a towel. Cost is $3/session.
• MMA Fitness: Class from 6-7 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday for all ages. Cost is $7. Grappling bags and gloves provided.
• Pickleball: Pickle Ball courts are available. Call if interested.
• Walking Club: Walk with music from 8-9 a.m. Monday-Friday.
• Woodcarving: Fridays at 9 a.m. Fee is $2.
• Yoga: Thursdays at noon. Cost is $5/class.
• Zumba gold: Monday and Thursday at 11 a.m. Cost is $6/class.