All area codes are 850 unless noted.
Margaret R. McDowell, firm founder of Arbor Wealth Management, LLC, a “fee-only” registered investment advisory firm, will present a seminar at 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. Feb. 26 in the Arbor Wealth Conference Room. Call 608-6121 to reserve seating. Refreshments will be served. Arbor Wealth’s income and growth strategies are most appropriate for investors with $500,000 or more of investable assets.
In recognition of the Economic Development Council’s 25th anniversary, the organization is launching a multi-part roundtable series focusing on key drivers in the Okaloosa County economy. The 2014 kick-off event will be held from 7:30-9:30 a.m. Feb. 26 at the Ramada Plaza Beach Resort on Okaloosa Island. Attendees must register prior to event for $25, which includes breakfast buffet, at http://www.florida-edc.org/news/events.aspx, firstname.lastname@example.org or 362-6467.
Amy Arnold, PT, a Sacred Heart physical therapist, will present a free seminar “Back to Golf” at 10 a.m. Feb. 26 in the Suite 3 Conference Room at Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast. Attendees will learn about a new program being offered that teaches participants about proper body mechanics to reduce back pain and improve the golf swing. To register, call 278-3600.
Spring Job Fair
There are more than 100 full-time and part-time positions available at Silver Sands Premium Outlets, and the Spring Job Fair will take place from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Feb. 27 in the space between Bose and The North Face. Meet one-on-one with store hiring managers and apply for multiple jobs in one location. For more information, call 654-9771.
Free small business seminars and individual consulting for Hispanic entrepreneurs take place from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Feb. 27 and 28 at the Greater Fort Walton Beach Chamber of Commerce. Topics covered include licenses and permits, state regulations, financing options, and business development services offered by HBIF. The seminars will be presented in Spanish, and consulting will be available in both English and Spanish. Call 1-866-525-4243, 226-7066 or email email@example.com to participate.
Income Tax Help
Volunteers from AARP will provide free individual federal tax assistance by appointment only from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursdays through April 10 at the Destin Library. Call 837-8572 to make appointment.
Let local businesses pamper you with food, seminars, massages and door prizes when the Friends of the Niceville Public Library host their annual Pamper Me event from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. March 1 at the Niceville Community Center for ages 12 and up. Admission is $3. Call 279-4863, ext. 1504.
Cash 4 College workshop
NWFSC will hold its Fifth Annual “Cash 4 College” financial aid workshop from 1-4 p.m. March 2 to help students and parents complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. The cost is free to students and the community. Students who are not planning to attend NWFSC are welcome to attend the workshop to receive help with their FAFSA. Call 729-5370 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The merchants of Downtown Fort Walton Beach will hold a Farmer’s Market from 8 a.m. to noon March 8 in downtown Fort Walton Beach, 201 S.E. Miracle Strip Parkway in the grassy area behind Burrito Del Sol and Bella Day Spa & Hair Studio.
Future dates include April 12, May 10, June 14, July 12 and Aug. 9.
The 2014 Emerald Coast Boat Show will be held March 14-16 at the Emerald Coast Convention Center on Okaloosa Island with more than 35 vendors and 50 boats on display. Learn fishing tips from local experts.
Studio Destin will hold a free countertop makeover demonstration from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. March 15 at 120 Benning Drive #2 in the Liberty Center. This informational seminar and demonstration is for homeowners or professionals. Call 598-3289 to make a reservation.
Alzheimer’s support group
Alzheimer's Family Services hosts a new support group for family members or friends coping with a loved one with Alzheimer’s disease at 2 p.m. the last Tuesday of the month beginning March 25 at Sacred Heart of the Emerald Coast, Suite 3 Conference Room in Miramar Beach. The support group is free and limited respite care is available. To make arrangements, call 866-478-7790.
A workshop to assist students in Okaloosa County High Schools who will take the April 12 ACT and the May 3 SAT will be held from 2-5 p.m. April 7, 8, 14 and 15 in the Media Center at Fort Walton Beach High School and from 2-5 p.m. April 9, 10, 16 and 17 in the Media Center at Niceville High School. All materials, snacks and drinks are furnished. Students need to bring calculators. Registration deadline is March 13. For information, contact Alice Hart at 615-585-2401, email Amhart1966@aol.com or contact your high school guidance department.
The Junior League of the Emerald Coast’s sixth annual Spring Market will be held April 26 and 27 at the Emerald Coast Convention Center on Okaloosa Island and will feature vendors from around the country selling unique gifts and quality merchandise. To become a sponsor or a vendor, email JLECMarket@yahoo.com. Call 862-2665.
Flea Market/Yard Sale
Vendor spots are available for those interested in selling items for a fee of $20/Destin residents and $25/non-residents during the
Flea Market and Yard Sale from 8 a.m. to noon May 10 in the parking lot of the Destin Community Center. No rain date. Call 654-5184 for all information.
Destin Community Center
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Adult Open Gym: Monday from 5:30-8:30 p.m. for 17 and up to play full-court pickup basketball games. Destin residents are free and non-residents are $2.
• Brazilian Martial Arts: A Capoeira class that combines the elements of dance, acrobatics and music from 7-9 p.m. Thursday.
• Chair Yoga: Free class at 10 a.m. Monday and Thursday. Cost is $4.
• Duplicate bridge: Monday and Thursday at 9:15 a.m. and Wednesdays at 12:30. Entry fee: $6. No partner needed.
• Intermediate party bridge: Monday and Tuesday at 12:45 p.m. at Buck Destin Park on Legion Drive. Call 837-1967. Beginning bridge class at 12:30 p.m. Wednesday. Cost $2.
• Kidz Klub: After-school program from 3:30-5:30 p.m. Monday-Friday for grades K-4. Snacks provided.
• Line dancing: Beginners class begins at 12:30 p.m. Thursday, open dance at 1:15 and intermediate dancers at 1:30. Fee is $5.
• Low Impact Aerobics: Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 9:15 a.m. Cost is $3/session.
• Pickleball: All levels, including first timers, welcome. Beginner lessons available from 12-1 p.m. Mondays and 11 a.m. to noon Wednesdays and Fridays. Intermediate and advance open play from 1-3 p.m. Mondays and 12-3 p.m. Wednesdays and Fridays. Cost is $2/resident and $3/non-resident.
• Shotokan Karate: The class promotes life enrichment, physical fitness, discipline, focus and self-defense at 6 p.m. Monday and Wednesday. Fee is $65/month.
• Spring 17+ Basketball League: The City of Destin’s Spring 17+ Basketball League begins Feb. 20. Games will be played on Thursday nights at 6:30, 7:30, and 8:30 p.m. Team sponsorship fee is $275. Individual registration fees are $20/residents and $30/non- residents.
• Spring 30+ Basketball League: The Spring 30+ Basketball League begins Feb. 18 at 6:30, 7:30 and 8:30 p.m. Teams sponsorship fee is $275. Individual registration fees are $20/residents (with proof of residency inside Destin city limits) and $30/non-residents.
• Table tennis: Competition from 2:30-5 p.m. Tuesdays and 9 a.m. to noon Thursdays.
• Turbo kick: Fitness class at 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays. Fee is $10.
• Woodcarving: Fridays at 9 a.m. Fee is $2.
• Yoga: Bring a mat and towel at noon Thursdays. Cost is $6.
• Zumba gold: Mondays and Thursdays at 11 a.m. Cost is $6.