All area codes are 850 unless noted.
The monthly meeting of the Choctawhatchee Audubon Society begins at 6:30 p.m. Aug. 6 in Room 130 of the Student Services Building at Northwest Florida State College main campus in Niceville. Noted native plant specialist and owner of Seven Pines Native Plant Nursery, Dara Dobson, will present “The Importance of Florida Native Plants to our Florida Bird Population." Admission is free and open to the interested public. Call 582-7064 for more information.
• Aug. 8: Tom Greene, a recognized authority on rare Florida plants, will lead a walk in the pine flatwoods of South Walton County. Meet at 9 a.m. at the Walmart on Hwy. 98 near Sandestin on the portion of the parking lot adjacent to the highway. Please wear walking shoes, long pants, and a hat, and bring water, sunscreen and insect repellent. Call 694-6403 for more information.
Summer Food Service Program
Through Aug. 6, Destin Elementary School will serve breakfast from 7:15-8:15 a.m. and lunch from 11 a.m. to noon. Nutritionally balanced meals will be provided to all children regardless of race, color, sex, disability, age or national origin during summer vacation when school breakfasts and lunches are not available. All children 18 years old and younger are eligible for meals at no charge.
Bereavement Support Group
Share and learn more about the grief journey you are enduring with an Emerald Coast Hospice bereavement group at 1:30 p.m. Wednesdays at the Destin Library. Groups are free and ongoing.
DUMC will host a free dinner for international students at 6:30 p.m. every Wednesday while the Destin Church of Christ hosts Sunday night dinners, both through August. For more information, please contact Cynthia Wilson at firstname.lastname@example.org 850-543-6339.
Big Truck Day
The Annual Big Truck Day will be held from 9-11 a.m. Aug. 7 in the Destin Community Center parking lot. The event welcomes children of all ages to come and see the unique trucks. There is no charge for the event. Call 654-5184.
Cram the Van
Look for the United Way van in the parking lot at Walmart in Destin from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Aug. 8 and 15 and help “Cram the Van” with school supplies to help kids succeed.
A free family movie, "Up," will be presented on the big screen at 7:30 p.m. Aug. 14 on the lawn behind Immanuel Anglican Church, 250 Indian Bayou Trail in Destin. Bring lawn chairs or blankets and popcorn, hot dogs and drinks will be provided.
Gen. Andrew Jackson comes alive in a dramatic presentation as the First Territorial Governor of Florida at 2 p.m. Aug. 14 at the Destin Library. James Moore, who will portray Jackson, has been volunteering to perform historical presentations for more than 20 years. No registration required. For more information, email email@example.com.
Alzheimer’s Support Group
The Covenant Alzheimer’s Support Group meets from 2-3:30 p.m. Aug. 25 in the Suite 3 Education Center at Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast. Meets last Tuesday of month. Call 499-3390.
A workshop to assist students in Okaloosa County High Schools who will take the Sept. 12 ACT and Oct. 3 SAT will be held from 2:15-4:15 p.m. Sept. 8-10 and 14-16 at Fort Walton Beach High School. All materials, snacks and drinks are furnished. Students need to bring calculators. Registration deadline is Aug. 21. For information, contact Alice Hart at 615-585-2401, email Amhart1966@aol.com or contact your high school guidance department.
Arm Wrestling Championship
American Legion Post 296 in Destin will host the 2015 Florida Panhandle Arm Wrestling Championship beginning at noon Sept. 19 at 311 Main Street in Destin. Early weigh-ins are Friday from 7-10 p.m. and Saturday from 9-11 a.m. Weight class pounds are 154, 165, 187, 198, 220 and 220+. For more information, call 424-7954, 533-0644 or 865-9330.
Grand Boulevard Farmers’ Market
The market will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday in Grand Park in Miramar Beach between Cantina Laredo and Tommy Bahama’s.Vendors will offer locally sourced food-based items including produce, eggs, milk, butter, grass-fed beef, chicken, lamb, and pork, honey, pickled vegetables and gourmet jams. Market is held on Wednesdays from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
The WaterColor Coastal Farmers Market will be held from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. every Sunday at Cerulean Park. Traditional Farmers Market items such as local farm fresh produce, eggs, and dairy products will be available. There will also be a large variety of organic and homemade items such as Greek gourmet foods, hot and jerk sauces, grass fed beef, chicken, and pork. Market is held on Thursdays from March 12 through Labor Day.
30A Farmers’ Market
This community event from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sundays in Town Center in Rosemary Beach features fresh vegetables, fruits, eggs, honey, cheese and more. Market is held on Thursdays from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
Seaside Farmers Market
Get your pick of fresh produce, baked goods, dairy products, native plants and other unique offerings Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Amphitheatre behind Raw & Juicy. Enjoy special cooking demos and activities.
Duplicate Bridge, ACBL, will be held at 9:50 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Thursday at St. Andrews Episcopal Church, 307 Harbor Blvd. in Destin. Cost is $7. No partner necessary. For more information e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Destin Life Center
Recreation and fitness activities at Destin Life Center at Destin United Methodist Church, 200 Beach Drive, include the following. Hours are 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Closed Sunday. From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday visit the Soul Café for lunch. Call ahead for dine in or pick up. For information, call the DLC at 837-2021.
• Adult Open Soccer: From 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays. Fee is $2/player.
• Adult Open Volleyball: From 6-9 p.m. Tuesdays. Fee is $2/player.
• Pickleball: From 2-5 p.m. Monday-Friday and 9 a.m. to noon Saturday.
• DLC Fitness Cardio/Weight Room: Nautilus equipment, three treadmills, two ellipticals and one recumbent bike. Memberships are $40/calendar quarter; $30/month; $20/week; and $10/day.
• Community Fitness Classes: Indoor cycling, Zumba, Rise and Stretch, PIYO, Cardio Dance, Forever Young (senior aerobics) and more. Costs are $40/month; $7/class; $20/month Forever Young, fitness for seniors; and $3/individual Forever Young.
Destin Community Center
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 or email email@example.com for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Chair Yoga: Class will be held at 10 a.m. Monday and Thursday. Cost is $4/class.
• Game Room: Open to children age 10 and older from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• Line Dancing: Class for beginners will be at 12:30 p.m. Thursdays. Intermediate lessons are held at 1:30. Open dance is from 1:15-1:30 p.m. The class is $6.
• Senior Pilates: Class will be held from 9-10 a.m. Mondays. Cost is $6/class.
• Table Tennis: Tuesdays from 2-5 p.m. and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to noon.
• Yoga: Class will be held Thursdays at noon. Open to all yoga enthusiasts of any level. Cost is $6/class. Please bring a mat and towel.
• Zumba Gold: Mondays and Thursdays at 11 a.m. Cost is $6/class.