If you are like most people, when you gathered around the water cooler at the office Monday, you were not debating whether or not Michael Crabtree was interfered with in the end zone, you were debating your favorite commercial during Super Bowl XLVII.
This was the first debate we had when we opened up the office doors. Around the newsroom, the favorites seemed to be the Budweiser Clydesdales, the Taco Bell retirees, Dodge's Farmer ad, and the Doritos goat.
For ad executives, it all comes down to the Super Bowl. They rack their brains and push their creative teams to the limit striving to create the most memorable spot, which can cost roughly $3.8 million for 30-seconds of TV time, Forbes.com reports.
For that kind of cash, they better deliver or heads are going to roll.
So, without further ado, here is my top five favorite Super Bowl commercials.
1. Taco Bell's rebellious retirees. What was there not to like about this one? Between the public PDA, the regrettable tattoos and running roughshod all night long, I loved it. We've all had our fair share of nights like these, especially when they end with a late night stop by Taco Bell for a box full of Doritos Locos tacos.
2. Doritos "Goat 4 Sale" ad was hilarious, as it poked fun at the relationships people have with their pets. I had an ex-girlfriend whose neighbors had a pet goat and it would eat anything you put in front of its face. Just a solid, light-hearted commercial that had me rolling on the floor.
3. Given it was the Super Bowl, I have to include Tide's "Miracle Stain." To me, it was hilarious, but some of my friends didn't share the same enthusiasm as I did. Come on, we've seen Jesus in the clouds, on waffles and in pancakes, so why not Joe Montana in a stain on a 49ers jersey? And Tide gets kuddos for having the man's Ravens-loving wife wash the jersey, just like the Ravens washed away any hope the 49ers had of winning the Super Bowl with their goal-line stand at the end of the game.
4. How could I not include "The most electrifying man in sports entertainment" on my list? I'm sorry, anything that has The Rock (Dwayne Johnson) is going to be gold. Fighting space aliens and ignoring those in need is all in a day's work for The Rock as he runs to get milk for his kids cereal. Classic.
5. Best Buys "Asking Amy" commercial was too funny. Playing the playful cougar, Poehler strutted her stuff around the electronics store, dragging the helpless clerk along the way, asking a million questions. Just a simple, fun commercial with a great comedian.
If you are anything like me, you were probably disgusted, maybe even revolted, by the Bar Refaeli and her nerd counterpart lip-smacking for what seemed to be way too long. Go Daddy always tries to push the envelope to a degree, but the only thing this commercial did was push my chicken wings out of my stomach.
Sure, we all want to be the nerd in the commercial, but I didn't care for this one.
Now that I've shared my top five, I'd love to know what you think. Which commercials were your favorites? What did I leave off my list? Tweet me @DestinLogMatt or email me at email@example.com.