All area codes are 850 unless noted.
Destin City Hall
All City Council meetings, workshops, executive sessions and CRA Board meetings are held at the City Hall Annex, 4100 Indian Bayou Trail. All other board and committee meetings are held at City Hall, 4200 Indian Bayou Trail.
• Town Center CRA-AC, 5:30 p.m. March 21
• Destin Youth Council, 4 p.m. March 22
• Harbor & Waterways Board, 5 p.m. March 26
• Environmental/Parks & Rec, 4 p.m. March 27
Rehabilitation Services Seminar
Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast will host a seminar on the benefits of Tai Chi and Ai Chi at 11 a.m. March 23 at Somerby Assisted Liv-ing, 164 W. Hewett Road in Santa Rosa Beach, 2nd Floor Conference Room. Call 278-3600 or 877-416-1620 to register.
Pinewood Auto Show
Enjoy parking among the finest aircraft and munitions in the world at the fourth annual Pinewood Auto Show March 24 at the Air Armament Museum, 100 Museum Drive, in Fort Walton Beach. Registration is from 8-11:30 a.m. with judging at noon. Fee is $20 before March 17; $25/after. Reg-ister at https://gulfcoastcouncil.doubleknot.com/registration/register.aspx#. Premium parking is $30. Concessions are available from Scouts and music provided by DJ Dan. No refunds/no rain date.
The Destin Garden club will award a $1,000 scholarship to an Okaloosa County resident pursuing a degree/career in horticulture or agriculture at an accredited Florida college or university. Applicants must be enrolled in or pursuing a career in landscaping, nursery or garden center management, Floriculture, forestry, ground and turf management, parks and natural resources and/or other agricultural/horticultural related fields. Application deadline is May 1. Email email@example.com or call 706-346-9483 for application.
A Round for the Kids
The Boys & Girls Clubs of the Emerald Coast hosts A Round for the Kids Fundraiser March 24 at Emerald Bay Golf Club in Destin. Registration at 8 a.m. and Shotgun Start at 9 a.m. Register at https://emeraldcoastbgc.org/a-round-for-the-kids/
The Boys & Girls Clubs of the Emerald Coast will host a job fair from 9 a.m. to noon March 26 at the BGCEC-Fort Walton, 923 Denton Blvd NW. Prospective candidates will be able to meet and interview with members of BGCEC management for positions including all levels, site directors, program staff, bus drivers, etc. Bring resume, letters of recommendation and any other documentation that you would like to share.
Support DMS Tennis
Pazzo Italiano, 34904 Emerald Coast Parkway, Unit 114, will donate 15 percent of proceeds from 4-7 p.m. March 27 to the Destin Middle School ten-nis team.
Sacred Heart Lunch and Learn
Community members are invited to attend a free educational lunch and learn seminar, Hip Replacement: The Anterior Approach, at 12:30 p.m. March 28 in Sacred Heart Hospital’s Resource Center, Suite 3 Conference Room. Dr. William Markowski, a board certified orthopedic surgeon with Bluewater Orthopedics, will lead the informational seminar. Dr. Markowski specializes in joint replacement; direct anterior hip replacement; hip, knee and shoulder arthroscopy; sports medicine; hand surgery and fracture care. Registration required at 278-3600. Lunch will be provided.
Destin Young Professionals Lunch
Destin Young Professionals will meet over lunch from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. March 28 at Mellow Mushroom, Sunsations Plaza, 960 Hwy. 98 E. Lunch is $20 for young professionals whose companies are Chamber members and $35/for those not yet Chamber members. Call 837-6241.
Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast will hold a free, community nutrition class, “Healthy You: Go Further with Food,” from 12-1:15 p.m. March 29 in the Suite 3 Conference Room at the hospital. Participants may bring their lunch to enjoy with the food samples provided. Registration needed at 278-3600 or 877-416-1620.
Journey To The Cross
Journey To The Cross & Upper Room Communion Experience, a self-guided walk through Christ’s last day on earth, will be presented by Destin United Methodist Church from 12-8 p.m. March 29 and 30 at 200 Beach Drive. Event is free.
The Upper Room Communion Experience is an opportunity to see what it might have been like the night Jesus shared communion with His disciples. Sign up for communion times through EventBrite, at 837-2021, at the church, or visit www.destinumc.org.
Cross Walk 2018
Area churches will make their annual processional in Destin to observe Good Friday at noon March 30. The group will walk the Stations of the Cross. Meet at 11:45 a.m. at Morgan’s Sports Complex parking lot. The walk will be on Commons Drive between Airport Road intersection and the round-about near City Hall and dog park
Dentistry from the Heart
The husband and wife duo behind Smileology, Dr. Olivier Broutin and Dr. Amber Wiebe, are out to change lives by offering free smiles to anyone who needs dental work. The Fourth Annual Dentistry from the Heart will be held March 30 at 12273 US Hwy. 98, #117 in Miramar Beach. Starting at 7 a.m. Dr. Broutin, Dr. Wiebe, and their volunteers will treat the first 50 patients, or however many they can service by 2 p.m. Guests 18 years and older can choose from a filling, extraction or cleaning.
Choctawhatchee Audubon Society
Join Bruce Purdy in a birding tour of the parks on the north shore of Destin bordering Choctawhatchee Bay March 31. Meet at the CVS parking lot at the corner of Hwy. 98 and Main Street in Destin opposite Regions Bank at 7:30 a.m. Be prepared to carpool. Wear long pants and close toed shoes. Bring binoculars and scopes. Call 305-926-6030 for details.
• April 5: Lenny Fenimore and Malcolm Swan will team up and give a presentation on the “Magic of Migration” at 6:30 p.m. in room 302 of the student services building 400 at NWFSC Niceville campus. The talk will cover the science of “why” and “how” birds migrate. Admission is free and open to the public. Call or email 225-252-2760, dbaltz@LSU.edu for more information.
• April 7: Michelle Wright and other Audubon members will help teach Scouts about bird identification at Scout-a-Rama from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Fort Walton Beach Landing. Bring lunch and a lawn chair. For details, call 428-1803.
• April 14: Spend a day at the Estuary Festival at Gannon Park teaching children about birds. Bring a sack lunch and a lawn chair. Call 678-6665 for details.
• April 28: Malcolm Swan leads a bird walk at Veterans Park on Okaloosa Island. Meet at the NE corner of the Convention Center parking lot at 7:30 a.m. Call 210-343-9082 for details.
The Mac Users Group will meet at 6:30 p.m. April 2 in the NWFSC Student Services Center, Room 308/309. Frank Berte will present the program and will cover Using Mac File Structure, Transitioning from a PC and Photo editing /Photo Enhancement (PSD). For more information, call 862-3327 or email
A free family friendly event, Scout-O-Rama will be held from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. April 7 at The Landing in Fort Walton Beach. Crossover for Webelo Scouts will be at 2:30 p.m. Enjoy free games, demos, crafts and community booths plus Scouts demonstrating scout skills.
IMPACT 100 Workshop
IMPACT 100 of Northwest Florida will hold its grant workshop for non-profit 501 (c)(3) organizations in Okaloosa and Walton counties, from 8:30 a.m. to noon April 19 in the Fellowship Hall to learn how to apply for one of IMPACT 100′s $100,000 grants in 2018. Grant applications should focus on projects in Arts & Culture, Education, Environment, Family, and Health & Recreation. There will be breakout sessions on the basics of the grant application, grant process, finances, renovations, reconstruction and construction. Advance registration is encouraged to ensure a reserved spot. The final day to register is April 12. The registration form is available online at www.impactnwf.org. For information, call 582-7939.
The Friends Guild of the Destin Library will celebrate the Destin Library’s history and Library Director Jurate Burn’s retirement at a “Literary Luncheon” at 11 a.m. May 4 at Ciao Italia’ Bistro, 985 Hwy. 98 E. in Palms Station Shopping Center. Advance tickets are $20/person which includes tax and tip. Checks made payable to the Friends Guild of the Destin Library will be accepted for ticket purchases until May 1 at the Destin Library. Call 654-5476.
The community is invited to attend. Attendees are encouraged to wear hats decorated to represent their favorite book or literary character.
Bayou, Bay & Beach
Destin’s Eighth Annual Bayou, Bay & Beach 5K & 10K has moved to May 5. Both the 5K and 10K courses are set along Destin streets with peek-a-boo water views, and the 10K is USA Track & Field-Certified. A portion of event proceeds will benefit the Choctawhatchee Basin Alliance. Reg-istration is now open on www.runsignup.com. Visit www.bayoubaybeach.com or follow
www.facebook.com/bayoubaybeach for details.
Taxes done free
Tax-Aide is a free service for low to moderate income tax filers with IRS-certified volunteer tax preparers. There are six sites serving the area — Crestview Library, Destin Library, Niceville Library, Bob Hope Village, Good Shepherd Lutheran Church in Shalimar, and a Fort Walton Beach site at First Christian Church, 201 St. Mary Ave.
Bring a photo ID, Social Security cards or other official documentation for the tax filer, spouse, and any others on the return and all income and expense documents such as W-2′s, 1099′s, etc. Also, bring your 2016 tax return if possible.
Tai Chi Class
The Destin Library will offer one-hour Tai Chi classes with Barbara Rezmer, a certified Tai Chi for Health instructor, on Monday mornings at 9 a.m. The cost is $5/session. Enrollment is limited to 12 participants with registrations (on a first-come first-served basis) accepted by phone or in per-son. Call 837-8572.
Free Income Tax Preparation
Free income tax preparation for low to middle income families and individuals is being offered in Walton County at the Walton County Coastal Branch Library, 437 Greenway Trail in Santa Rosa Beach from 12:30-4:45 p.m. Mondays and 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Tuesdays. Call 267-2809. Also at Freeport Library, 76 Hwy. 20W, from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Fridays. Call 835-2040. DeFuniak Springs Library, 3 Circle Drive, from 12-4 p.m. Thursdays. Call 892-3624. Tax-Aide continues through April 13.
Caregiver Support Group
Covenant Alzheimer’s Care support group for those caring for a loved one with Alzheimer’s or a dementia-related illness is held at 5:30 p.m. the first Thursday of every month at Brookdale Fort Walton Beach, 233 Carmel Ave. Call 864-4600.
The Destin Library has a series of free how-to workshops for ages 18 and up that focus on practical projects and skills you might not have learned in school. Workshop will be held the last Tuesday of the month at 6 p.m. Light refreshments will be provided. No registration. Call 837-8572 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Destin Library’s Code Club for children in fifth through eighth grades will be divided into two sections, web design and game design. Meetings will be held from 4:30-5:30 p.m. Tuesdays (web design) and Fridays (game design). Registration is required to participate, and will be capped at 18 students. Register at http://www.cityofdestin.com/forms.aspx?FID=143.
Kiwanis Club of Destin
The Kiwanis Club of Destin meets every Thursday at 8 a.m. at the Destin Methodist Church Life Center on Beach Drive in Destin. The public is in-vited to attend the club’s weekly meetings.
The Destin Rotary meets at 7:15 a.m. every Tuesday at Rutherford’s 465. Visit www.facebook.com/pages/Rotary-Club-of-Destin/241220675890226.
Flotilla 1-4 USCG Auxiliary
Flotilla 1-4 USCG Auxiliary meets at 8 a.m. on the second Saturday of each month at Coast Guard Station Destin on Okaloosa Island. Anyone wishing to become a member is welcome to attend. Prior military duty is not required. Call 865-9130 or email www.flotilla14.info.
Bereavement Support Group
Share and learn more about the grief journey you are enduring with an Emerald Coast Hospice bereavement group at 1:30 p.m. Wednesdays at the Destin Library. Groups are free and ongoing.
Grand Boulevard Farmers’ Market
The market will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday in Grand Park in Miramar Beach between Cantina Laredo and Tommy Bahama’s. Vendors will offer locally sourced food-based items including produce, eggs, milk, butter, grass-fed beef, chicken, lamb and pork, honey, pickled vegetables and gourmet jams.
30A Farmers’ Market
This community event from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sundays in Town Center in Rosemary Beach features fresh vegetables, fruits, eggs, honey, cheese and more. Market is held on Sundays from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
Seaside Farmers Market
Get your pick of fresh produce, baked goods, dairy products, native plants and other unique offerings Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Am-phitheatre behind Raw & Juicy. Enjoy special cooking demos and activities.
Destin Life Center
Recreation and fitness activities at Destin Life Center at Destin United Methodist Church, 200 Beach Drive, are from 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Closed Sunday. From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday visit the Soul Café for lunch. Call ahead for dine in or pick up. For information, call the DLC at 837-2021.
• Adult Open Soccer: From 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays. Fee is $2/player.
• Adult Open Volleyball: From 6-9 p.m. Tuesdays. Fee is $2/player.
• Pickleball: From 2-5 p.m. Monday-Friday and 9 a.m. to noon Saturday.
• DLC Fitness Cardio/Weight Room: Nautilus equipment, three treadmills, two ellipticals and one recumbent bike. Memberships are $40/calendar quarter; $30/month; $20/week; and $10/day.
• Community Fitness Classes: Indoor cycling, Zumba, Rise and Stretch, PIYO, Cardio Dance, Forever Young (senior aerobics) and more. Costs are $40/month; $7/class; $20/month Forever Young, fitness for seniors; and $3/individual Forever Young.
Destin Community Center
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 or email email@example.com for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Adult Dodge Ball: Beginning May 11, adult only dodge ball will take place from 7-9 p.m. Fridays for 17 and older. Fee is $3/non-residents and $2/residents.
• Aerobics: A low impact class is offered at 9 a.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Bring water and a towel. Cost is $3/session.
• Capoeria: Class in the Brazilian martial art that combines the elements of dance, acrobatics and music will be held Thursdays at 7 p.m. for all ages.
• Chair Yoga: Classes consisting of performing traditional yoga poses from a chair for lower impact from 10-11 a.m. Mondays and Thursdays. Cost is $4/class.
• Destin Senior Chair Exercise 50+ years: Monday and Wednesday mornings from 10-10:45 a.m. consists of performing light exercises to help im-prove balance, flexibility, strength, and circulation. Free/residents.
• Destin Senior Membership: Join the Destin Seniors to enjoy multiple festivities including the senior lunch bunch, pot luck, casino trips, cruises, bingo, chair exercise, knitting, scrabble, and Mexican dominoes. Members must be a Destin resident.
• Dodge Ball: Open game from 6-8 p.m. Thursdays for children 8 to 14. Fee is $3/non-residents and $2/residents. Waiver required for children.
• Game Room: Open to children age 10 and older from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Fridays..
• Pickleball: Sessions are from 12:30-3:30. Mondays and 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Wednesdays and Fridays. Fee is $3/non-residents or $2/residents. Racquets and balls are available, just bring gym shoes.
• Senior Book Club: The Destin Senior Members meet at 10 a.m. the 2nd Wednesday of the month at the Destin Library, 150 Sibert Ave.
• Senior Drop-In Hours: The Destin Senior Center at Buck Destin Park, 724 Legion Drive, offers senior drop-in hours from 9 a.m. to noon every Tuesday and Thursday for Seniors (50 years and older) to meet and enjoy each other’s company, participate in games such as Mexican Train Domi-noes, Scrabble, cards, etc.
• Senior Knitting: Sessions and lessons for beginners and all skill levels from 1-2:30 p.m. Wednesdays at the Destin Senior Center at Buck Destin Park, 724 Legion Drive. No registration required.
• Senior Walking Club: The Destin Senior Members walk around the Destin Community Center’s gymnasium from 8-9 a.m. Monday-Friday. All of the miles that you walk will be added to the “team map” as we travel from one region to the next.
• Table Tennis: Play from 1-3 p.m. Tuesday and 9 a.m. to noon Thursdays. Paddles and balls provided. Fee is $2/resident and $3/non-resident.
• Yoga: Classes from 12-1 p.m. Thursdays. Bring mat and towel.
• Zumba Gold: A low impact class using Latin music for fitness/dance is offered from 11 a.m. to noon Thursdays. Fee is $6/session.
• Zumba Gold Toning: Classes from 11 a.m. to noon Mondays for full body workout with rhythms of Zumba Gold. Fee is $6/session.
To become more effective communicators and leaders, visit one or more of the Toastmasters clubs at the following locations or visit www.toastmasters.org/Find-a-Club.
• Club 702 White Sands Toastmasters, 12-1 p.m. Thursdays at 415 Racetrack Road NE in Fort Walton Beach.
• Club 1919 Emerald Coast Toastmasters, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Thursdays at Education Bldg 251, Room 122 on Eglin AFB.
• Club 9478 Hurlburt Toastmasters, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Wednesdays at Education Center Bldg. 221, Classroom L on Hurburt Field.
• Club 724908 Destin Toastmasters, 5:45-7:15 p.m. 1st and 3rd Tuesday each month at Walton County Utility Building.
• Club 817348 Crestview Toastmasters, 6-7 p.m. 2nd and 4th Tuesday each month at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Crestview.
• Club 851515 Lake DeFuniak Toastmasters, 12-1 p.m. 2nd and 4th Thursday each month at Northwest Florida State College, Room 103 at the Chautauqua Center.
Seniors of Destin
The Seniors of Destin meet the fourth Friday of the month for a covered dish and to celebrate all birthdays for the month. The program is spon-sored by the city of Destin and Gentiva Home Health. Each month has a featured guest speaker that pertains to senior living. Call 685-5310.
The Main Street Betterment Alliance meets at 6 p.m. Tuesdays at the American Legion, 311 Main Street. Call 837-3818.
Destin Business Builders
Destin Business Builders Networking group meets from 7:15-8:45 a.m. every Wednesday at the Destin United Methodist Life Center. Call 651-1300 ext. 13.
Food Buying Club
A small group interested in eating healthy and purchasing smart meets at 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays at 125 Scottsdale Court in Mary Esther. On the second Tuesday, the group meets at Fountain Square in downtown Fort Walton Beach for the Growing Local film series. Call 863-4040.