All area codes are 850 unless noted.
Destin City Hall
All City Council meetings, workshops, executive sessions and CRA Board meetings are held at the City Hall Annex, 4100 Indian Bayou Trail. All other board and committee meetings are held at City Hall, 4200 Indian Bayou Trail.
• Harbor CRA-AC, 5:30 p.m. April 11
• Gulf Power Franchise Negotiations, 1 p.m. April 11
• City Council, 6 p.m. April 16
• Special Magistrate Hearing, 5:30 p.m. April 17
• Town Center CRA-AC, 5:30 p.m. April 18
The Happy Hearts
Happy Hearts Senior Ministry at Village Baptist Church will meet for lunch and fellowship from 1-3 p.m. April 12 at Ole Times Country Buffet and Barbeque (formerly Golden Corral) in Destin. Guest speaker will be Will Rogers from the Destin Library. Buffet lunch is $8.99 (no credit cards). Please bring a non-perishable food item for The Village Food Pantry. Call 598-0954.
The Market Shops will host the OneBlood Drive from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. April 13 at 9375 Emerald Coast Parkway in Miramar Beach.
Earth Day Beach Clean Up
Sponsored by the Choctawhatchee Basin Alliance, gather debris on Okaloosa Island and enjoy a free post-cleanup breakfast, courtesy of The Crab Trap, from 8-10 a.m. April 14. Prizes offered for most cigarette butts collected and best eco-buddy photo. Free T-shirt.
Choctawhatchee Audubon Society
Spend a day at the Estuary Festival at Gannon Park April 14 teaching children about birds. Bring a sack lunch and a lawn chair. Call 678-6665 for details.
• April 28: Malcolm Swan leads a bird walk at Veterans Park on Okaloosa Island. Meet at the NE corner of the Convention Center parking lot at 7:30 a.m. Call 210-343-9082 for details.
If interested in running for public office or just want to learn about the candidate process, attend Candidate University presented by the Okaloosa County Supervisor of Elections from 6-9 p.m. April 16 at the Okaloosa County Administration Building in Shalimar or from 9 a.m. to noon April 18 at the Supervisor of Elections Headquarters in Crestview. Call 689-5600 or email email@example.com to register by 5 p.m. April 11.
Covenant Care will hold a free volunteer workshop from 12-2 p.m. April 17 at the office, 220 Eglin Parkway in Fort Walton Beach. Lunch will be provided. No special background or experience is required to volunteer, just a desire to make a difference. To register or to learn more, call 202-0809.
The Green Thumb Garden Club will meet at 9:45 a.m. April 18 at the Linkside Ballrooms C & D next to the Sunset Bay Café in Sandestin. Dave Gordon, a fifth generation citizen of Fort Walton Beach and currently president of the Okaloosa County Master Gardeners, will be guest speaker. Price for attending the business meeting, program and luncheon is $25. Price for the business meeting and program is $8. RSVP by 10 a.m. April 15 at 847-702-3933.
The Society for Human Resource Management of the Emerald Coast will meet at 7:15 a.m. April 18 at Two Trees Restaurant, 1955 Lewis Turner Blvd. in Fort Walton Beach. Program speaker will be Dave Jefferson, a human resources executive at Simple HR. Cost is $15/members and $20/non-members. Breakfast included. Register by April 16 at http://www.shrm-emeraldcoast.org
Senior Brunch and Learn
The Mary Esther Public Library, in association with the Okaloosa County Library Cooperative, will host a Senior Brunch and Learn from 10 a.m. to noon April 19, May 3 and May 17. The Brunch and Learn targets seniors who are unfamiliar with newer technology and aims to give them confidence and proficiency with their new phones, tablets and other internet-capable devices. Registration is required at 850-243-573 and brunch will be provided.
Bodies In Balance
Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast will host a seminar on the behavioral risk factors of fall prevention at 11 a.m. April 20 at Somerby Assisted Living, 164 W. Hewett Road in Santa Rosa Beach. Call 278-3600 or 877-416-1620 to register.
Styles Ever After Trunk Show
A trunk show will be held from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. April 21 at Today’s Boutique, 4433 Commons Drive E. #103 in Destin. Local artist Velia Lala will have her “Wearable Art” line featured with leggings and dresses on display, along with the paintings that inspired each piece. Show is complimentary and open to the public. For more information, call 865-5565.
The WaterColor Community Yard Sale will be hosted from 9 a.m. to noon April 21 at Cerulean Park, just north of 30A in WaterColor.
Earth Day Cleanup
The City of Destin and the Choctawhatchee Basin Alliance will host an Earth Day cleanup from 8-10 a.m. April 21 at Mattie Kelly Park and Nature Walk in Destin. Parking is available at the Mattie Kelly Nature Walk, across the street from Joe's Bayou Boat Launch. Help clean the park, pier, shoreline and roadway in that area. Feel free to bring a kayak or paddle board. Also, be prepared to get wet. Free T-shirts will be provided.
YOUth LEADership Conference
UNITED FOR A GOOD CAUSE Inc., in partnership with the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Emerald Coast, will host the Fifth Annual YOUth LEADership Conference from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. April 21 at the BGCEC’s Youth Center, 923 Denton Blvd. in Fort Walton Beach, for area seventh through 12th graders. Fee is $10 and includes light lunch and conference materials. Scholarships available for students from low-income families.
The Sand Dunes Chapter of Embroiderers' Guild of America will hold a program meeting from 1:30-4:30 p.m. April 22 in the Religious Education building, Holy Name of Jesus Catholic Church, 1200 Valparaiso Blvd. in Niceville. Visitors are welcome. Call 496-3466.
The Friends Guild of the Destin Library will celebrate the Destin Library’s history and Library Director Jurate Burn’s retirement at a “Literary Luncheon” at 11 a.m. May 4 at Ciao Italia’ Bistro, 985 Hwy. 98 E. in Palms Station Shopping Center. Advance tickets are $20/person which includes tax and tip. Checks made payable to the Friends Guild of the Destin Library will be accepted for ticket purchases until May 1 at the Destin Library. Call 654-5476.
The community is invited to attend. Attendees are encouraged to wear hats decorated to represent their favorite book or literary character.
The Destin Library will host a retirement ceremony for Jurate Burns, longtime Destin librarian, from 5:30-7:30 p.m. May 8. During her tenure, Burns has created a gallery and hosted art shows for many artists in the surrounding communities, as a way to bring art and the community together. All who have had the opportunity to display their art in the Library’s Gallery, as well as those who have enjoyed that art, are asked to attend and acknowledge her contribution to the arts.
Tai Chi Class
The Destin Library will offer one-hour Tai Chi classes with Barbara Rezmer, a certified Tai Chi for Health instructor, on Monday mornings at 9 a.m. The cost is $5/session. Enrollment is limited to 12 participants with registrations (on a first-come first-served basis) accepted by phone or in per-son. Call 837-8572.
Free Income Tax Preparation
Free income tax preparation for low to middle income families and individuals is being offered in Walton County at the Walton County Coastal Branch Library, 437 Greenway Trail in Santa Rosa Beach from 12:30-4:45 p.m. Mondays and 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Tuesdays. Call 267-2809. Also at Freeport Library, 76 Hwy. 20W, from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Fridays. Call 835-2040. DeFuniak Springs Library, 3 Circle Drive, from 12-4 p.m. Thursdays. Call 892-3624. Tax-Aide continues through April 13.
Caregiver Support Group
Covenant Alzheimer’s Care support group for those caring for a loved one with Alzheimer’s or a dementia-related illness is held at 5:30 p.m. the first Thursday of every month at Brookdale Fort Walton Beach, 233 Carmel Ave. Call 864-4600.
The Destin Library has a series of free how-to workshops for ages 18 and up that focus on practical projects and skills you might not have learned in school. Workshop will be held the last Tuesday of the month at 6 p.m. Light refreshments will be provided. No registration. Call 837-8572 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Destin Library’s Code Club for children in fifth through eighth grades will be divided into two sections, web design and game design. Meetings will be held from 4:30-5:30 p.m. Tuesdays (web design) and Fridays (game design). Registration is required to participate, and will be capped at 18 students. Register at http://www.cityofdestin.com/forms.aspx?FID=143.
Kiwanis Club of Destin
The Kiwanis Club of Destin meets every Thursday at 8 a.m. at the Destin Methodist Church Life Center on Beach Drive in Destin. The public is invited to attend the club’s weekly meetings.
The Destin Rotary meets at 7:15 a.m. every Tuesday at Rutherford’s 465. Visit www.facebook.com/pages/Rotary-Club-of-Destin/241220675890226.
Flotilla 1-4 USCG Auxiliary
Flotilla 1-4 USCG Auxiliary meets at 8 a.m. on the second Saturday of each month at Coast Guard Station Destin on Okaloosa Island. Anyone wishing to become a member is welcome to attend. Prior military duty is not required. Call 865-9130 or email www.flotilla14.info.
Bereavement Support Group
Share and learn more about the grief journey you are enduring with an Emerald Coast Hospice bereavement group at 1:30 p.m. Wednesdays at the Destin Library. Groups are free and ongoing.
Grand Boulevard Farmers’ Market
The market will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday in Grand Park in Miramar Beach between Cantina Laredo and Tommy Bahama’s. Vendors will offer locally sourced food-based items including produce, eggs, milk, butter, grass-fed beef, chicken, lamb and pork, honey, pickled vege-tables and gourmet jams.
30A Farmers’ Market
This community event from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sundays in Town Center in Rosemary Beach features fresh vegetables, fruits, eggs, honey, cheese and more. Market is held on Sundays from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
Seaside Farmers Market
Get your pick of fresh produce, baked goods, dairy products, native plants and other unique offerings Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Am-phitheatre behind Raw & Juicy. Enjoy special cooking demos and activities.
Destin Life Center
Recreation and fitness activities at Destin Life Center at Destin United Methodist Church, 200 Beach Drive, are from 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Closed Sunday. From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday visit the Soul Café for lunch. Call ahead for dine in or pick up. For information, call the DLC at 837-2021.
• Adult Open Soccer: From 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays. Fee is $2/player.
• Adult Open Volleyball: From 6-9 p.m. Tuesdays. Fee is $2/player.
• Pickleball: From 2-5 p.m. Monday-Friday and 9 a.m. to noon Saturday.
• DLC Fitness Cardio/Weight Room: Nautilus equipment, three treadmills, two ellipticals and one recumbent bike. Memberships are $40/calendar quarter; $30/month; $20/week; and $10/day.
• Community Fitness Classes: Indoor cycling, Zumba, Rise and Stretch, PIYO, Cardio Dance, Forever Young (senior aerobics) and more. Costs are $40/month; $7/class; $20/month Forever Young, fitness for seniors; and $3/individual Forever Young.
Destin Community Center
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 or email email@example.com for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Adult Dodge Ball: Beginning May 11, adult only dodge ball will take place from 7-9 p.m. Fridays for 17 and older. Fee is $3/non-residents and $2/residents.
• Capoeria: Class in the Brazilian martial art that combines the elements of dance, acrobatics and music will be held Thursdays at 7 p.m. for all ages.
• Destin Senior Chair Exercise 50+ years: Monday and Wednesday mornings from 10-10:45 a.m. consists of performing light exercises to help improve balance, flexibility, strength, and circulation. Free/residents.
• Destin Senior Membership: Join the Destin Seniors to enjoy multiple festivities including the senior lunch bunch, pot luck, casino trips, cruises, bingo, chair exercise, knitting, scrabble, and Mexican dominoes. Members must be a Destin resident.
• Dodge Ball: Open game from 6-8 p.m. Thursdays for children 8 to 14. Fee is $3/non-residents and $2/residents. Waiver required for children.
• Game Room: Open to children age 10 and older from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Fridays..
• Pickleball: Sessions are from 12:30-3:30. Mondays and 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Wednesdays and Fridays. Fee is $3/non-residents or $2/residents. Racquets and balls are available, just bring gym shoes.
• Senior Book Club: The Destin Senior Members meet at 10 a.m. the 2nd Wednesday of the month at the Destin Library, 150 Sibert Ave.
• Senior Drop-In Hours: The Destin Senior Center at Buck Destin Park, 724 Legion Drive, offers senior drop-in hours from 9 a.m. to noon every Tuesday and Thursday for Seniors (50 years and older) to meet and enjoy each other’s company, participate in games such as Mexican Train Dominoes, Scrabble, cards, etc.
• Senior Knitting: Sessions and lessons for beginners and all skill levels from 1-2:30 p.m. Wednesdays at the Destin Senior Center at Buck Destin Park, 724 Legion Drive. No registration required.
• Senior Walking Club: The Destin Senior Members walk around the Destin Community Center’s gymnasium from 8-9 a.m. Monday-Friday. All of the miles that you walk will be added to the “team map” as we travel from one region to the next.
• Table Tennis: Play from 9 a.m. to noon Mondays and Fridays and 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesdays. Paddles and balls provided. Fee is $2/resident and $3/non-resident.
To become more effective communicators and leaders, visit one or more of the Toastmasters clubs at the following locations or visit www.toastmasters.org/Find-a-Club.
• Club 702 White Sands Toastmasters, 12-1 p.m. Thursdays at 415 Racetrack Road NE in Fort Walton Beach.
• Club 1919 Emerald Coast Toastmasters, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Thursdays at Education Bldg 251, Room 122 on Eglin AFB.
• Club 9478 Hurlburt Toastmasters, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Wednesdays at Education Center Bldg. 221, Classroom L on Hurburt Field.
• Club 724908 Destin Toastmasters, 5:45-7:15 p.m. 1st and 3rd Tuesday each month at Walton County Utility Building.
• Club 817348 Crestview Toastmasters, 6-7 p.m. 2nd and 4th Tuesday each month at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Crestview.
• Club 851515 Lake DeFuniak Toastmasters, 12-1 p.m. 2nd and 4th Thursday each month at Northwest Florida State College, Room 103 at the Chautauqua Center.
Seniors of Destin
The Seniors of Destin meet the fourth Friday of the month for a covered dish and to celebrate all birthdays for the month. The program is spon-sored by the city of Destin and Gentiva Home Health. Each month has a featured guest speaker that pertains to senior living. Call 685-5310.
The Main Street Betterment Alliance meets at 6 p.m. Tuesdays at the American Legion, 311 Main Street. Call 837-3818.
Destin Business Builders
Destin Business Builders Networking group meets from 7:15-8:45 a.m. every Wednesday at the Destin United Methodist Life Center. Call 651-1300 ext. 13.
Food Buying Club
A small group interested in eating healthy and purchasing smart meets at 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays at 125 Scottsdale Court in Mary Esther. On the second Tuesday, the group meets at Fountain Square in downtown Fort Walton Beach for the Growing Local film series. Call 863-4040.