A Destin man was convicted of murder last week in the stabbing death of his wife's lover. 

On Oct. 5, Oscar Castaneda-Lopez was convicted by an Okaloosa County Jury of first degree premeditated murder with a weapon, according to a press release from the State Attorney's Office.

The charges arose from the July 31, 2016, murder of Osvaldo Torres-Michua in Destin.

Testimony at trial established that the defendant and victim were longtime friends and were from the same town in Mexico. Testimony also indicated that the motive for the murder was regarding an affair between the victim and the defendant’s wife.

The murder occurred in the victim’s townhouse on Sunday morning, July 31, 2016, and the defendant and another man, Fidel Michua-Gonzalez, returned that night to move the victim’s body. They were driven to a dark wooded area in Walton County by the defendant’s wife, and the two men buried the victim’s body in a shallow grave. Michua-Gonzalez ultimately led law enforcement to the general location of the body on Aug. 9, 2016, and the specific location was identified by two cadaver dogs from Bay County Search and Rescue.

The victim’s autopsy revealed that he had been stabbed 11 times.

Evidence utilized in the prosecution included a home surveillance camera from a neighboring townhouse and physical downloads of cell phones, as well as recorded phone calls and video visitations between the Defendant and his wife while he was awaiting trial. A recorded interview of the defendant was also played for the jury in which he admitted that he had been present at the victim’s residence but claimed he was not responsible for the murder.

Several expert witnesses from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement were also called to testify regarding DNA, fingerprints, cellular tower analysis, and handwriting analysis. The defendant’s DNA and fingerprints were not located in the residence, but crime scene analysts testified that the scene had been partially cleaned prior to their arrival, and the defendant’s wife testified that she smelled bleach when she drove the two men to Walton County.

The defendant was immediately sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.