Children's Summer Activities 2013 (UPDATED 6-15)
It’s time again to choose activities that kids will enjoy during their summer vacation. To list an activity, email email@example.com.
SummerWILD Children’s Camp
Children in first through sixth grade can spend a week on the Destin harbor learning about exotic animals and their natural habitats with the Emerald Coast Wildlife Refuge during SummerWILD Children’s Camp from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. June 17-21, 24-28, July 1-5, 8-12, 15-19, 22-26, 29-Aug. 2, Aug. 5-9 and 12-16. Contact Susan Leveille at 850-830-3933 to register. Cost is $150 for the week; family discounts are available.
Children will talk with a real marine biologist, do arts and crafts, and encounter actual animals like owls, tortoises, gray foxes, and raccoons, and learn about dolphins, sharks, seashells, sandcastles, and more.
Destin Community Center
The following events will be held during the summer at the Destin Community Center unless noted. Call 654-5184 for information and to register.
• Kids’ Camp: Summer day camp from 9 a.m. to noon Mondays through Fridays through Aug. 9 for children ages 5 through 12 years. Towel and swimsuit required on Fridays. Comfortable clothes and tennis shoes required. Cost is $40/week for Destin residents and $45/non-residents. Advance payment required. Lunch $10 and $15.
• Cheerleading Camp: Ages 5-14 improve coordination, enthusiasm, team spirit and self-confidence from 1-3 p.m. June 17-19. Cost is $35/resident and $40/non-resident; T-shirt included.
• Babysitting Safety Course: Courses offered by the Destin Fire Department for ages 11 through 15 from 1 to 5 p.m. June 24 or July 18. Each student will be certified in CPR and First Aid. Cost $30/residents and $35/non-residents.
• Tennis Camp: Learn how to serve, backhand, forehand, rally, etc., from 1-3 p.m. June 24 and 26 for ages 5-9 and June 25 and 27 for ages 10-15 at Buck Destin Park, 724 Legion Drive. Cost is $20/resident and $25/non-resident.
• Cooking and Serving: Youth ages 8-15 plan and prepare a luncheon from 12-3 p.m. June 25-27 or July 9-11. Cost is $45/resident and $55/non-resident.
• Fish Camp: Ages 5-12 earn the basics of fishing at the third annual Kid's Fish Camp from 8:30-11:30 a.m. July 2 at Clement Taylor Park on Calhoun Avenue. Drop off and pick up at Community Center. Cost is $20/resident and $30/non-resident. Includes pole and bait.
• Challenger British Soccer Camp: Ages 3-14 from 8-11 a.m. or 5:30-8:30 p.m. July 8-12 at Morgan Sports Center. Cost is $81/ages 3-4 and $120/ages 6-14. Register at www.challengersports.com.
• Kids' Night Out: Games, movie, pizza and fun for ages 5-12 from 6-9:30 p.m. July 12 or Aug. 16. Cost is $20/resident and $25/non-resident.
• Volleyball Camp: Ages 9-14 improve volleyball skills with Fort Walton Beach High School Volleyball Team from 1-3 p.m. July 15-18. Cost is $25/resident and $30/non-resident.
• Baton Camp: Ages 5-16 learn basics of baton twirling from the All-Star Twirlers from 1 to 3 p.m. Date TBA.
• Dodge Ball Camp: Ages 9-14 learn official rules, techniques and strategies from 1-3 p.m. July 29-Aug. 1. Cost is $15/resident and $20/non-resident.
• Softball Camp: Ages 8-12 learn softball fundamentals from 9-11 a.m. Aug. 12 and 13 at Dalton Threadgill Little League Park. Cost is $20/resident and $25/non-resident.
Holy Kidz Summer Camp
Holy Kidz Summer Camp provides a fun wholesome Christ-centered summer experience for children entering K-5th grade in the fall of 2013. Camps include games, activities, field trips, arts, crafts, cooking, Spanish, science, opportunities for learning and great times with new friends. Cost is $100/week for first child; $80/second child. Call 586-8264.
Sessions at the Destin Life Center at Destin United Methodist Church will run from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday-Friday, through Aug. 16. To register, visit www.destinumc.org. After hour care will be provided by Destin Life Center, but you must pre-register.
Sessions at Destiny Worship Center, Miramar Beach Campus, will be held from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. June 24-28 and July 8-12. Waterday every Friday at the Emerge Campus. Register at holykidzcamps.com.
Summer Day Camp
First Baptist Church, in partnership with Rocky Bayou Christian School Destin Campus, will hold Summer Day Camp for ages 5 to 13 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. through Aug. 2. Activities include field trips to The Track, Goofy Golf, swim lessons, roller skating, bowling and Bible lessons. Weekly cost is $113; single day, $35. Call 279-3700 or email SummerCamp@rbcs.org.
Kids on Campus
Register for the “Kids on Campus” summer enrichment program at Northwest Florida College online at www.nwfsc.edu/kidsoncampus or parents may register at all seven NWFSC locations.
Kids on Campus offers youth entering grades 3 to 8 an opportunity for fun learning in a college environment with a variety of classes in the areas of athletics, theater, art and academics.
Sessions will be held June 17-27 and July 15-25, Monday through Thursday, with half-day sessions from 9 a.m. to 12 noon or 12:30 to 3:20 p.m., or full-day sessions, 9 a.m. to 3:20 p.m. For an additional fee, extended day options are available from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The course list and registration forms are available at all area elementary and middle schools, NWF State College campuses and centers, and at www.nwfsc.edu/schedule. For more information, call 729-6086.
This one week class, Life is a Circus, from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. June 17-21 at Destin Middle School, features art, drama, dance and juggling and is designed for students entering 1st through 8th grade in the fall. Cost is $125 per student which includes T-shirt and supplies. On the final day of Kamp, students will present a performance showcasing their work from the week. Visit mattiekellyartsfoundation.org, click on education and summer camp, or call 650-2226.
Holy Mackerel Kidz Camp
Holy Mackerel Kidz Camp at Immanuel Anglican Church provides a fun wholesome Christ-centered summer experience for children ages K-5. Camp starts and ends each day with singing and dancing as children praise God and in between includes Bible study, skits, jump rope, missions, crafts and some free time. On Fridays a limousine takes children to the YMCA for water fun.
Sessions will be held from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday-Friday, June 17-21, July 8-12 and July 22-26. Registration fee is $15; cost is $80/session, $60/siblings. Discount for early registration. Call Miss Cissy at 850-830-3146 to register.
The Arts and Design Society offers the opportunity for children to participate in creating visual arts in its summer Kids' Fine Art Camp at the ADSO Art Center, 17 First Street, SE, in Fort Walton Beach. Classes begin on Monday with the ancient skills of clay artistry and feature a different medium each day, including drawing, painting, and printmaking. Each week ends with an art show and reception for the families. The cost for each session is $60/child and $50/children of ADSO members. Pre-registration required by June 14 for June sessions and July 12 for July sessions. To register, call 244-1271 or visit www.artsdesignsociety.org.
• Session 1: 9:30-11:30 a.m. June 17-21, ages 6-8
• Session 2: 1-3 p.m. June 17-21, ages 9-13
• Session 3: 9:30-11:30 a.m. July 15-19, ages 6-11
• Session 4: 1-3 p.m. July 15-21, ages 6-11
Gulfarium Marine Adventure Park on Okaloosa Island will offer Sunset Camp to children ages 6-14 from 4-9 p.m. on select dates beginning in June and continuing through the summer.
Activities include a dockside dolphin interaction, with the opportunity to feed and give behavior signals to an Atlantic bottlenose dolphin, an ocean-themed scavenger hunt throughout the park, an exploratory adventure along the beach, and dinner next to the seals. Make reservations at www.gulfarium.com or call 243-9046.
Mike the Knight
Gallop over to the stage and get ready to be a knight in training as Mike and his medieval friends present Mike the Knight and the Mission for Hidden Treasure at 7 p.m. July 13 at Destin Commons. This fun-filled mission full of discovery, determination and friendship will have knights and princesses of all ages engaged from start to finish.
Mattie Kelly Arts Foundation hosts The Emerald Coast Theatre Company theater camp from July 21-27 at Destin Middle School. Cost is $125/students. Designed for students entering grades 2-12 in fall 2013, this one-week theater camp is dedicated to the development of life skills in children through participation in the performing arts. This year’s production will be “Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp.” Students will experience auditions and casting (everyone gets a role), acting, theatre games, and prop construction in a positive team building environment. Group auditions are from 3-4 p.m. July 21; camp, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. July 22-26; rehearsal, 1-5 p.m. July 27; and ticketed performance at 6 p.m. July 27. Tickets are $5/adults and children under 12 are free.
The United Way of Okaloosa & Walton Counties Children’s Summer Fun Guidebook is available at www.united-way.org. The free listing has activities for children ages 4-18.