Upcoming Arts and Entertainment (beginning Dec. 14)
Area codes are 850 unless noted.
Spencers Art of Illusion
A return engagement of magic, illusion and more by one of the world’s best illusionist teams, Spencers Art of Illusion appears at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 14 at the Mattie Kelly Arts Center of Northwest Florida State College in Niceville. Tickets are $25/adults and $20/youth age 18 and younger. Call 729-6000 or visit www.mattiekellyartscenter.org.
Crab Island Cantina presents “So You Think You’re Funny,” a comedy competition, at 6 p.m. every Sunday. Competition continues for 16 weeks. Comedians from all over the south will compete. First prize is a round trip for two to Los Angeles to perform at the Comedy Store on Sunset Strip. Call 424-7417.
The Arts and Design Society, 17 First Street, SE in Fort Walton Beach, presents the works of artist Anne Johnston, specializing in bold acrylic flowers and landscapes, in the studio windows facing First Street for easy viewing during December.
Enjoy the reggae, rock, funk and blues of Chronic Jester Tuesdays at Hammerhead’s Bar and Grille, 137 Fisherman’s Cove, Miramar Beach.
Michael J Thomas
Michael J Thomas performs a blend of smooth jazz saxophone music and R&B vocals Tuesday through Saturday "upon availability" at Ruth’s Chris Steak House, 15000 Emerald Coast Parkway. Call 337-5108.
Jam with the music of Ashley Rose at 9 p.m. Fridays at Cabana Café, 112 Seascape Blvd. in Miramar Beach.
American Legion Post 296, 311 Main St. in Destin, will host the following events. Pizza and hotdogs are sold from 11:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call 837-3818.
• Dec 15, 22, 29: Music by Hank in ballroom, 4-7 p.m.
• Dec. 16, 23, 30: Smoke Free Bingo, 6 p.m. Jackpot $250
• Dec 20, 27 and Jan. 3: Karaoke with Brandy, 7:30-11:30 p.m.
• Dec. 20: Auxiliary Cornish Hen Dinner, 5:30-7:30 pm., $10
• Dec. 21: Sons of the American Legion Fish Fry, 2-5 p.m.
• Dec. 24: Commander Bartend Eggnog Social, 4-6 p.m.
• Dec. 31: New Year’s Eve Party with band Bone Dry, 8:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m., $15/person or $25/couple. Breakfast served at 12:30 a.m.
Independent Film Series
The Friends Guild of the Destin Library will sponsor the movie “Rabbit-Proof Fence,” an independent film documentary, at 4 p.m. Dec. 17. The program is free and open to the public. Films are unrated and directed toward mature audiences. Seating will be limited to 30 on a first-come, first-served basis.
Wednesday Night Concert Series: Enjoy a special holiday edition of the Concert Series from 6-8 p.m. Dec. 18 in the Events Plaza at The Village of Baytowne Wharf at Sandestin. Call 267-8186.
Americana Under The Stars
Charlotte and Harry perform at a family/pet friendly concert series, Americana Under the Stars, from 6-8 p.m. Dec. 19 in the amphitheater at Topsail Hill Preserve State Park in Santa Rosa Beach. Open mic begins at 6 p.m. Bring a chair and beverage. Free admission into park and a suggested donation of $5 goes to the Friends of Topsail Hill.
Sinfonia Gulf Coast
Sinfonia Gulf Coast presents the orchestra and world-renowned guest artists beginning at 7:30 p.m. on the dates below. To purchase tickets, visit www.SinfoniaGulfCoast.org or call 269-7129.
• Dec. 20: The Orchestral Holiday concert at Destiny Worship Center features holiday favorites and dancers from the Northwest Florida Ballet.
• Jan. 24: The Bernstein Beat concerts are hosted by Jamie Bernstein, daughter of conductor/composer Leonard Bernstein, and include a morning youth performance and an evening concert which includes Bernstein’s “Symphonic Dances from West Side Story.”
• Feb. 14, 15: Classical Connections at Rosemary Beach Town Hall features string quintet SYBARITE5.
• March 29: Sinfonia Gala features Patti LuPone in her Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda concert at the Emerald Coast Convention Center on Okaloosa Island. Cash bar available.
Dinner and a Movie
A full length classic movie shown on the courtyard wall while a four-course prix fixe dinner, inspired by the movie Maltese Falco, is served from 6:30-10 p.m. Jan 8 at Edward’s Fine Food & Wine, 66 Main St. in Rosemary Beach. Cost is $70+ tax. Call 231-0550 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for tickets.
• Jan. 22: Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
• Feb. 5: My Cousin Vinny
• Feb. 19: Godfather II
The Destin Desserts chefs’ competition takes place at 7 p.m. Jan. 17 in the Links Ballroom, Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort in Miramar Beach. Local chefs compete for the title of champion by creating original desserts using Girl Scout cookies as the main ingredient. Doors open at 6 p.m. and the evening includes social hour, heavy hors d'oeuvres, dessert tasting and voting, awards, silent auction and entertainment by Shades of Blue. Tickets are $25/person and available at each chef’s business, at any of the three Girl Scout Service Centers or call toll free 1-888-271-8778.
Glenn Miller Orchestra
The World Famous Glenn Miller Orchestra will perform at 7:30 p.m. Feb. 12 at the Mattie Kellie Arts Center, 100 College Blvd., Niceville. Tickets are $20. Advance tickets are available at the Mattie Kelly Arts Box office, www.mattiekellyartscenter.org or call 729-6000 or 888-838-2737.
This event is sponsored by the Niceville High School Band Program, and the NHS Big Band Jazz ensemble perform a song with the orchestra.