Kids Summer Activities 2014
It’s time again to choose activities that kids will enjoy during their summer vacation. To list a summer activity, email email@example.com. To see a complete list of activities, visit thedestinlog.com.
Holy Kidz Summer Camps
Holy Kidz Summer Camps provide a fun wholesome Christ-centered summer experience for children entering K-5th grade in the fall of 2014. Camps include games, field trips, arts, crafts, cooking, waterday, outdoor activities, praise and worship and science. Cost is $125/first week and $100/week additional weeks; for first child; siblings are $100/first week and $80/week additional weeks. Call 586-8264 or visit www.holykidzcamps.com to register.
Sessions will be held June 9-13 and 16-20 at Destin United Methodist Church; June 23-27 and July 7-11 at Destin Assembly of God; and July 14-18 and July 21-25 at Hammock Bay of Freeport.
SummerWILD Children’s Camp
Children in first through sixth grade can spend a week on the Destin harbor learning about exotic animals and their natural habitats with the Emerald Coast Wildlife Refuge during SummerWILD Children’s Camp. Camps will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. June 9-13; 6-20; 23-27; July 7-11; 14-18; 21-25; 28-Aug. 1; Aug. 4-8 and 11-15.
Children will encounter actual animals like owls, tortoises, gray foxes, and raccoons, and learn about dolphins, sharks, seashells, sandcastles, and more.
Contact Susan Leveille at 850-830-3933 to register. Cost is $150 for the week; family discounts are available.
The Fine and Performing Arts Division at NWFSC will offer a Creative Dramatics summer workshop, “Camp Glee,” from 8:30 a.m. to 1:45 p.m. Monday through Friday, June 9 to July 3, at the Mattie Kelly Arts Center in Niceville for students from rising 8th grade through college. Participants will learn about choreography, acting, voice, makeup and staging and will star in the drama Beauty and the Beast July 3 in the Sprint Theater. Call 729-5382 for enrollment information.
This one week class, A Pirate’s Life for Me!, from 8:15 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. June 9-13 at Destin Middle School, features art, drama, dance and juggling and is designed for students entering 1st through 8th grade in the fall.
Cost is $125 per student, $100 sibling, and includes supplies. On the final day of Kamp, students will present a performance showcasing their work from the week. Visit mattiekellyartsfoundation.org, click on education and summer camp, or call 650-2226.
The following events will be held during the summer at the Destin Community Center unless noted. Register early, as space is limited. Call 654-5184.
• Kids’ Half Day Summer Camp/Lunch Bunch: Summer Camps for ages 5-12 with games, crafts, snacks and more will be offered from 8:30 a.m. to noon, Monday through Friday, June 9 to Aug. 8. Cost is $40/residents and $50/non-residents. Lunch Bunch from 12-1 p.m. for additional $10/residents and $15/non-residents. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up or call Center.
• Babysitting Safety Course: Courses for ages 11 through 15 will be held from 9 a.m. to noon. June 12, July 10 and 1-4 p.m. July 24. Each student will be certified in CPR and First Aid. Cost $30/resident and $35/non-resident.
Golf Camp: Participants ages 7-15 will learn the basics of golf such as driving, putting and chipping from 1-3 p.m. June 16 and actually play from 1-4 p.m. June 17 at The Golf Garden on U.S. 98. Cost is $40/resident and $45/non-resident.
• Cooking and Serving: Youth ages 8-15 plan and prepare a luncheon from 1-4 p.m. June 17-19 or from 5:30-8:30 p.m. July 15-17. Cost is $45/resident and $55/non-resident.
• Stand Up Paddleboard Camp: GUSU will provide boards and instruction for camp to be held at Clement Taylor Park. Ages 8-12 can register for one or both sessions from 9-11 a.m. June 18 or July 26. Ages 13-16 years can register for 9-11 a.m. June 19 and/or July 27. Fee for each class is $40/resident and $50/non-resident.
• Kids’ Night Out: The City of Destin’s Summer Kids’ Night Out for ages 5-12 years will be held from 6-8:30 p.m. June 20. The theme is Artwalk and will provide participants with materials and instruction to make various art media projects. Wear art-friendly clothing. Cost is $20/resident and $25/non-resident.
• Baton Camp: Ages 5-16 learn basics of baton twirling from the All-Star Twirlers from 1 to 3 p.m. June 23 through June 27. Performance for parents at 2:30 p.m. June 27. Fee is $50/resident and $55/non-resident.
• Tennis Camp: Learn the basics of serving, backhand, forehand, rally, etc., from 9-11 a.m. June 23 and 25 for ages 5-9 and 9-11 a.m. June 24 and 26 for ages 10-15 at Buck Destin Park, 724 Legion Drive. Cost is $20/resident and $25/non-resident.
• Cheerleading Camp: Hosted by FWBHS Viking cheerleaders for ages 5-14 to improve coordination, enthusiasm, positive attitudes, team spirit and self-confidence in cheerleading from 10 a.m. to noon June 25-27. Cost is $35/resident and $40/non-resident and includes T-shirt. A parent show will be held at 2:30 p.m. June 27.
• Tumbling Camp: A basic tumbling camp hosted by DMS Marlins tumbling coach from 1-2:30 p.m. July 16 and 17 for ages 5-12. Show for parents at 2:20 p.m. July 17. Fee is $20/resident and $25/non-resident.
• Basketball Camp: Children learn the fundamentals of passing, shooting, dribbling, and sportsmanship from 5:30-6:30 p.m. for ages 3-6 and 6:30-8:30 p.m. for ages 7-15 July 21, 23 and 25. Wear tennis shoes and comfortable clothes. Cost is $30/resident and $35/non-resident.
• Youth Football Camp: The camp will focus on speed and agility and all players ages 6-12 will work on passing, throwing and running drills from 6-8 p.m. July 22 and 24 at Destin Elementary School. Cost is $20/resident and $30/non-resident.
• Outdoor Camp: Participants ages 5-12 will learn the basics of camping, fishing, different types of animals and plants from 8:30-11:30 a.m. July 22-25 at Clement Taylor Park. Fee is $30/resident and $40/non-resident and includes a pole and bait.
• Dodge Ball Camp: Ages 9-14 learn official rules, techniques and strategies from 5:30-8:30 on July 28 and 30 and Aug. 1. Cost is $25/resident and $30/non-resident.
• Volleyball Camp: Ages 9-14 improve ball control, spiking, setting, passing and serving. From 1-3 p.m. July 28-31. Cost is $25/resident and $30/non-resident.
• Kids’ Night Out: The City of Destin’s Summer Kids’ Night Out for ages 5-12 years will be held from 6-8:30 p.m. Aug. 1. The theme is Baking and Participants will learn the basic fundamentals to make brownies, cupcakes and cake-pops. Cost is $20/resident and $25/non-resident. Space is limited; register at 654-5184.
• Youth Soccer Camp: Basic fundamentals of the game for ages 7-16 from 5:30-7:30 p.m. Aug. 4-8 at Morgan Sports Center. Cost is $20/resident and $25/non-resident. Register by Aug. 4.
• Cheerleading Camp: Hosted by the DMS Marlins for ages 5-12 to improve coordination, enthusiasm, team spirit and self-confidence from 10 a.m. to noon Aug. 11 and 12. Cost is $25/resident and $30/non-resident.
Kids on Campus
This popular summer enrichment program provides students entering 3rd – 8th grades a unique opportunity for fun learning in a college environment. Students choose from a variety of classes such as: athletics, fine and performing arts, academics, and arts and crafts.
Sessions will be held June 16-26 and July 14-24, Monday through Thursday, with half-day sessions from 9 a.m. to 12 noon or 12:30 to 3:20 p.m., or full-day sessions, 9 a.m. to 3:20 p.m. For an additional fee, extended day options are available from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Register at www.nwfsc.edu/kidsoncampus or parents may register at all seven NWFSC locations. Call 729-6086 for information.
Emerald Coast Theatre Company
The newly-formed Emerald Coast Theatre Company in Miramar Beach announces a new series of summer theater camps designed with kids in mind. Call 687-1637 or email email@example.com.
• Musical Theatre Camp — Disney’s “101 Dalmatians” from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. June 16-19 and 23-26 at Butler Elementary for ages 7-11. Cost is $295.
• Camp Broadway from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. July 7-11 at Seaside Neighborhood School for grades 5-9. Cost is $150.
• Drama Camp — “The Wizard of Oz” from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. July 14-18 and 1-5 p.m. July 19 for grades 3-8. Cost is $150 paid to Mattie Kelly Arts Foundation.
• Musical Theatre Camp — Two-week camp “Willy Wonka Jr.,” based on Roald Dahl’s “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,” from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. July 28 through Aug. 8 at Ruckel Middle School in Niceville for grades 5 through 9. Cost is $295. A final performance will be staged at 7 p.m. Aug. 8 with $5 donation per adult.
Holy Mackerel Summer Camp
Children entering kindergarten through fifth grade learn about Jesus and His love through Bible study, skits, singing, dancing, jump rope, games and crafts at Immanuel Anglican Church in Destin.
Sessions are held from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. June 16-20, July 7-11 and July 21-25. Cost is $80 and $60 for siblings. One-time registration fee is 15. Register at iacdestin.org or call 830-3146. Students need to bring a lunch, sunscreen and a towel.
Kids’ Art Camp
The Arts and Design Society, 17 First St. in Fort Walton Beach, offers children the opportunity to participate in creating visual arts in Kids Art Camp. Classes begin on Monday and feature a different medium each day, including clay artistry, drawing, painting, and printmaking. Each week ends with an art show and reception for the families during the second half of each of Friday’s class sessions.
Sessions are 9:30-11:30 a.m., June 23–27 for ages 6-8; 1-3 p.m. June 23-27 for ages 9-13; 9:30-11:30 a.m. July 14-18 for ages 6-11; and 1-3 p.m. July 14-18 for ages 6-11.
Cost is $60/children of non-members and $50/children of members. Pre-registration required by June 20 for June sessions and July 22 for July sessions. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 244-1272.
Gulfarium Marine Adventure Park on Okaloosa Island will offer Sunset Camp to children ages 6-14 from 4-9 p.m. on select Tuesdays and Thursdays in the summer.
Activities include a dockside dolphin interaction, with the opportunity to feed and give behavior signals to an Atlantic bottlenose dolphin, an ocean-themed scavenger hunt throughout the park, an exploratory adventure along the beach, and dinner at Seal Harbor. Cost is $85. Make reservations at www.gulfarium.com or call 243-9046.
Summer History Camp
Discover, explore and experience days gone by when Heritage Museum of Northwest Florida in Valparaiso presents Time Travelers, a summer history camp, from 9 a.m. to noon Aug. 11-15.
Cost is $60/non-members and $50/members. Visit wwwmheritage-museum.org or call 678-2615 to register.