Kids Summer Activities July 5
It’s time again to choose activities that kids will enjoy during their summer vacation. To list a summer activity, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Destin Community Center
The following events will be held during the summer at the Destin Community Center unless noted. Register early, as space is limited. Call 654-5184.
• Kids’ Half Day Summer Camp/Lunch Bunch: Summer Camps for ages 5-12 with games, crafts, snacks and more will be offered from 8:30 a.m. to noon, Monday through Friday, through Aug. 8. Cost is $40/residents and $50/non-residents. Lunch Bunch from 12-1 p.m. for $10/residents and $15/non-residents. Email email@example.com to sign up or call Center.
• Babysitting Safety Course: Courses for ages 11 through 15 will be held from 9 a.m. to noon July 10 and 1-4 p.m. July 24. Each student will be certified in CPR and First Aid. Cost $30/resident and $35/non-resident.
• Cooking and Serving: Youth ages 8-15 plan and prepare a luncheon from 5:30-8:30 p.m. July 15-17. Cost is $45/resident and $55/non-resident.
• Tumbling Camp: A basic tumbling camp hosted by DMS Marlins tumbling coach from 1-2:30 p.m. July 16 and 17 for ages 5-12. Show for parents at 2:20 p.m. July 17. Fee is $20/resident and $25/non-resident.
• Basketball Camp: Children learn the fundamentals of passing, shooting, dribbling, and sportsmanship from 5:30-6:30 p.m. for ages 3-6 and 6:30-8:30 p.m. for ages 7-15 July 21, 23 and 25. Wear tennis shoes and comfortable clothes. Cost is $30/resident and $35/non-resident.
• Youth Football Camp: The camp will focus on speed and agility and all players ages 6-12 will work on passing, throwing and running drills from 6-8 p.m. July 22 and 24 at Destin Elementary School. Cost is $20/resident and $30/non-resident.
• Outdoor Camp: Participants ages 5-12 will learn the basics of camping, fishing, different types of animals and plants from 8:30-11:30 a.m. July 22-25 at Clement Taylor Park. Fee is $30/resident and $40/non-resident and includes a pole and bait.
• Stand Up Paddleboard Camp: GUSU will provide boards and instruction for camp to be held at Clement Taylor Park. Ages 8-12 can register for one session from 9-11 a.m. July 26. Ages 13-16 years can register for 9-11 a.m. July 27. Fee for each class is $40/resident and $50/non-resident.
• Dodge Ball Camp: Ages 9-14 learn official rules, techniques and strategies from 5:30-8:30 on July 28 and 30 and Aug. 1. Cost is $25/resident and $30/non-resident.
• Volleyball Camp: Ages 9-14 improve ball control, spiking, setting, passing and serving. From 1-3 p.m. July 28-31. Cost is $25/resident and $30/non-resident.
• Kids’ Night Out: The City of Destin’s Summer Kids’ Night Out for ages 5-12 years will be held from 6-8:30 p.m. Aug. 1. The theme is Baking and Participants will learn the basic fundamentals to make brownies, cupcakes and cake-pops. Cost is $20/resident and $25/non-resident. Space is limited; register at 654-5184.
• Youth Soccer Camp: Basic fundamentals of the game for ages 7-16 from 5:30-7:30 p.m. Aug. 4-8 at Morgan Sports Center. Cost is $20/resident and $25/non-resident. Register by Aug. 4.
• Cheerleading Camp: Hosted by the DMS Marlins for ages 5-12 to improve coordination, enthusiasm, team spirit and self-confidence from 10 a.m. to noon Aug. 11 and 12. Cost is $25/resident and $30/non-resident.
SummerWILD Children’s Camp
Children in first through sixth grade can spend a week on the Destin harbor learning about exotic animals and their natural habitats with the Emerald Coast Wildlife Refuge during SummerWILD Children’s Camp. Camps will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. July 7-11; 14-18; 21-25; 28-Aug. 1; Aug. 4-8 and 11-15.
Children will encounter actual animals like owls, tortoises, gray foxes, and raccoons, and learn about dolphins, sharks, seashells, sandcastles, and more.
Contact Susan Leveille at 850-830-3933 to register. Cost is $150 for the week; family discounts are available.
Holy Kidz Summer Camps
Holy Kidz Summer Camps provide a fun wholesome Christ-centered summer experience for children entering K-5th grade in the fall of 2014. Camps include games, field trips, arts, crafts, cooking, waterday, outdoor activities, praise and worship and science. Cost is $125/first week and $100/week additional weeks; for first child; siblings are $100/first week and $80/week additional weeks. Call 586-8264 or visit www.holykidzcamps.com to register.
Sessions will be held July 7-11 at Destin Assembly of God, and July 14-18 and July 21-25 at Hammock Bay of Freeport.
Gulfarium Marine Adventure Park on Okaloosa Island will offer Sunset Camp to children ages 6-14 from 4-9 p.m. on select Tuesdays and Thursdays in the summer.
Activities include a dockside dolphin interaction, with the opportunity to feed and give behavior signals to an Atlantic bottlenose dolphin, an ocean-themed scavenger hunt throughout the park, an exploratory adventure along the beach, and dinner at Seal Harbor. Cost is $85. Make reservations at www.gulfarium.com or call 243-9046.
Children ages 5-16 can take field trips, learn Spanish, play, enjoy art and drama and more at Youth Village summer camp from 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday until Aug. 15 at 312 Pelham Road in Fort Walton Beach. Cost is $75/week and includes breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack and field trips. Child Care Service vouchers will be accepted. Email firstname.lastname@example.org registration information.
Emerald Coast Theatre Company
The newly-formed Emerald Coast Theatre Company in Miramar Beach announces a new series of summer theater camps designed with kids in mind. Call 687-1637 or email email@example.com.
• Camp Broadway from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. July 7-11 at Seaside Neighborhood School for grades 5-9. Cost is $150.
• Drama Camp — “The Wizard of Oz” from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. July 14-18 and 1-5 p.m. July 19 for grades 3-8. Cost is $150 paid to Mattie Kelly Arts Foundation.
• Musical Theatre Camp — Two-week camp “Willy Wonka Jr.,” based on Roald Dahl’s “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,” from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. July 28 through Aug. 8 at Ruckel Middle School in Niceville for grades 5 through 9. Cost is $295. A final performance will be staged at 7 p.m. Aug. 8 with $5 donation per adult.
Holy Mackerel Summer Camp
Children entering kindergarten through fifth grade learn about Jesus and His love through Bible study, skits, singing, dancing, jump rope, games and crafts at Immanuel Anglican Church in Destin.
Sessions are held from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. July 7-11 and July 21-25. Cost is $80 and $60 for siblings. One-time registration fee is 15. Register at iacdestin.org or call 830-3146. Students need to bring a lunch, sunscreen and a towel.
Kids’ Art Camp
The Arts and Design Society, 17 First Street in Fort Walton Beach, offers children the opportunity to participate in creating visual arts in Kids Art Camp. Classes begin on Monday and feature a different medium each day, including clay artistry, drawing, painting, and printmaking. Each week ends with an art show and reception for the families during the second half of each of Friday’s class sessions.
Sessions are 9:30-11:30 a.m. July 14-18 for ages 6-11; and 1-3 p.m. July 14-18 for ages 6-11.
Cost is $60/children of non-members and $50/children of members. Pre-registration required July 22 for July sessions. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 244-1272.
Kids on Campus
This popular summer enrichment program provides students entering 3rd – 8th grades a unique opportunity for fun learning in a college environment. Students choose from a variety of classes such as: athletics, fine and performing arts, academics, and arts and crafts.
Session will be held July 14-24, Monday through Thursday, with half-day sessions from 9 a.m. to 12 noon or 12:30 to 3:20 p.m., or full-day sessions, 9 a.m. to 3:20 p.m. For an additional fee, extended day options are available from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Register at www.nwfsc.edu/kidsoncampus or parents may register at all seven NWFSC locations. Call 729-6086 for information.
Northwest Florida Ballet will hold Summer Heat! dance classes July 14-Aug. 1 at the Fort Walton Beach studio. Beginner level will be from 9-10:45 a.m. Tuesday and Thursday; intermediate level 9-11:15 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Tuition for beginner level students is $120; for intermediate level students, $130. There is a $20 registration fee for all students that will be applied to tuition. Call 664-7787 for registration information.
Full Circle Gallery
Mercedes Rodgers will hold art classes July 14, 21 and 28 at the Gallery, 29 B Eglin Parkway SE in Fort Walton Beach. Call 850-362-8041 to reserve space. Cartooning (mixed media), 10 a.m. to noon; Clay Figure (figure and animal sculptures), 1-3 p.m.; and Art and Science (topic, erupting volcanoes), 3:30-5:30 p.m.
Summer History Camp
Discover, explore and experience days gone by when Heritage Museum of Northwest Florida in Valparaiso presents Time Travelers, a summer history camp, from 9 a.m. to noon Aug. 11-15.
Cost is $60/non-members and $50/members. Visit wwwmheritage-museum.org or call 678-2615 to register.