Five ways you can have fun this weekend
• The big movies opening this weekend are “Pan,” a live-action PG rated update of the Peter Pan story; “The Walk,” a PG movie about the man who walked between the World Trade Center Towers in the 1970s; and “Big Stone Gap,” a PG-13 romance starring Ashley Judd, Patrick Wilson, Whoopi Goldberg and John Benjamin Hickey.
• Saturday is National Family Bowling Day, so round up the family and head to your local bowling alley for some old-fashioned fun! Some places offer free bowling for kids as well, so check around to see what’s available.
• If you’re looking for some scares to kick off the Halloween season, Friday is National Haunted House Day. It’s a day designed to get people to support their communities through local haunted houses. Check the newspaper or online to see what’s available, and get ready for some scares!
• Friday also is National Chess Day, a day designed to get people to play chess. Break out the old board and play a game with friends or family. Some libraries and parks have boards for playing, as well. You also can play computer chess if you’d prefer that kind.
• It’s another good sports weekend: MLB playoffs, NASCAR’s Chase, NFL and college football, MLS soccer and more are taking place. Check your TV guide for more information.
This article was contributed to The Log by More Content Now.