BACK TO SCHOOL: Schools to serve new lunch items
This summer, the Okaloosa County School District kicked up the menu to feature several new dishes including made from scratch Shepherd’s Pie, Salisbury Steak, Korean Beef Lettuce Wraps, and many more.
The new menu brings home-style cooking back into the schools, while offering a few interesting new dishes from around the world that are not only healthy, but loaded with bold flavors. Even dessert has been brought back — in moderation.
This year, every school will also offer a Fresh Fruit and Garden Bar that will feature fresh locally grown produce. Students will be able to try several new fruits and vegetables that might not have been available to them in years past.
As always, the district will feature special deals and limited time offerings, so be sure to download the Nutrislice app on your smartphone, sign up for the monthly newsletter and be sure to leave your feedback. Your suggestions help make school meals better for everybody.
The menus for the first week of school at Destin Elementary include:
• Aug. 18: Cheese Ravioli, Cheeseburger, Whole Grain Dinner Roll, Italian Green Beans, Raisins and Fresh Fruit & Garden Bar.
• Aug. 19: Chicken & Waffles, Grilled Cheese, Citrus Glazed Carrots, Chilled Juicy Pears and Fresh Fruit & Garden Bar.
• Aug. 20: Beefy Mac, BBQ Turkey Sandwich, Lemon & Cracked Pepper Broccoli, Fresh Fruit & Garden Bar, and Strawberry Shortcake.
• Aug. 21: Teriyaki Chicken, Ham & Cheese Sandwich, Fried Rice, Asian Slaw, Peach Cup and Fresh Fruit & Garden Bar.
• Aug. 22: Cheese Pizza, Fish Sticks, Hush Puppies, Baked Beans, Applesauce and Fresh Fruit & Garden Bar.
School meal prices for 2014-2015 are Student Breakfast/$1.80; Adult Breakfast/$2.25; Student Lunch/$2.55; Adult Lunch/$3.75; Reduced Breakfast/30 cents; Reduced Lunch/40 cents; and Milk/65 cents.