Children's Summer Activities May 30
It’s time again to choose activities that kids will enjoy during their summer vacation. To list a summer activity, or send a picture of children having summer fun, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Destin Community Center
The following events will be held during the summer at the Destin Community Center unless noted. Register early, as space is limited, at www.cityofdestin.com or at the Center. Call 654-5184 or email email@example.com for information.
• Gardening Camp: Ages 5 and older will plant for themselves and areas around the Community Center from 1-3 p.m. June 8-12. Fee is $20/resident and $30/non-residents.
• Pickleball Camp: Ages 10-15 will learn the basics of Pickleball from some of the best players on the Emerald Coast from 1-2:30 p.m. June 9-11. Fee is $15/resident and $20/non-residents.
• Little Feet Soccer Camp: Ages 3-4 will focus on the basics of shooting, passing and dribbling from 9-10 a.m. June 10-12. Fee is $15/resident and $20/non-residents.
• Kids’ Camp: Camp for ages 5-12 will be held from 9 a.m. to noon weekly Monday-Friday, beginning June 15. The camp will consist of games, crafts, swim days, structured playtime and snacks. Comfortable clothes and tennis shoes are required every day. A swimsuit and towel are required on Fridays. The weekly fee is $45/resident and $65/non-resident. Supervision is available from noon-1 p.m. at an extra fee of $5/resident and $10/non-resident for the entire week. A cold lunch must be provided if staying the extra hour.
• Tennis Camp: Ages 5-9 learn the basics of serving, backhand, forehand from 1-3 p.m. June 15 and 17 at Buck Destin Park and ages 10-15 meet on June 16 and 18. Fee is $20/resident and $25/non-resident.
• Baton Camp: Ages 5-16 learn basics of baton twirling from the All-Star Twirlers from 1 to 3 p.m. June 15-19. Performance for parents at 2:30 p.m. June 19. Fee is $50/resident and $65/non-resident.
• Babysitting Safety Course: Courses for ages 11 through 15 will be held from 1-4 p.m. June 16, July 14 July 28 and Aug. 4. Each student will be certified in CPR and First Aid. Cost $45/resident and $65/non-resident.
• Kids’ Night Out: Ages 5-12 will have a night full of games, movies and pizza from 6-9:30 p.m. June 19, July 24 and Aug. 17. Fee is $20/resident and $30/non-resident.
• Indoor Soccer Camp: Ages 10-13 will focus on passing, dribbling and shooting from 1-2:30 p.m. June 22-25. Fee is $20/resident and $30/non-residents.
• Scrapbooking/Crafting Camp: Supplies and photos are included for ages 7 and older from 1-3 p.m. June 29-July 2. Fee is $20/resident and $30/non-resident.
• Tumbling Camp: A basic tumbling camp will be held from 10-11:30 a.m. June 30-July 2. Show for parents at 11:30 a.m. July 2. Fee is $20/resident and $25/non-resident.
• Golf Camp: Participants ages 7-15 will learn the basics of golf such as driving, putting and chipping from 1-2:30 p.m. July 6 at Buck Destin Park and from 1-3 p.m. July 7 at Golf Garden. They will actually play a round of golf from 1-4 p.m. July 8. Cost is $40/resident and $50/non-resident.
• Bubble Soccer Camp: Ages 9-15 can learn one of the newest and most creative sports from 1-3 p.m. July 7-9. Fee is $30/resident and $45/non-resident.
• Cooking and Serving: Youth ages 8-15 plan and prepare a luncheon from 12-3 p.m. July 7-9. Cost is $50/resident and $60/non-resident.
• Theatre Camp: Hosted by Emerald Coast Theatre Company for children 2nd through 6th grade from 1-3 p.m. July 13-17. Fee is $30/resident and $40/non-resident.
• Cheerleading Camp: Hosted by the DMS Marlins for ages 5-12 to improve coordination, enthusiasm, team spirit and self-confidence from 1-3 p.m. July 23 and 24. Fee is $30/resident and $45/non-resident.
• Volleyball Camp: Ages 9-14 will learn ball control, spiking, setting, and passing from 1-3 p.m. July 27-30. Fee is $25/resident and $35/non-resident.
• Dodge Ball Camp: Ages 9-14 learn official rules, techniques and strategies from 1-3 p.m. Aug. 3-6. Cost is $20/resident and $30/non-resident.
Village Baptist Church will offer a Kids Summer Sewing Camp, taught by Lesley Brown, owner of Sew Creative, for beginning and intermediate sewers from 9 a.m. to noon or 2-5 p.m. June 8, 9 and 10 or July 27, 28 and 29. Cost is $125. Call 974-2128 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to book space.
Learn to sail with the Emerald Coast Sailing Association's Sailing Camps for ages 7.5 to 75. Two week camps, half days, begin on June 8, June 22 and July 6. Limited adult lessons. Register online at www.ecsailing.com, call 862-7276 or email email@example.com.
Holy Kidz Summer Camps
Holy Kidz Summer Camps provide a fun wholesome Christ-centered summer experience for children entering K-5th grade in the fall of 2015. While learning about the love of Jesus, children will engage in crafts, games, science, recreation, cooking, stories, songs, waterday on Friday, and other surprises.
Sessions are from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily beginning June 8 and continue throughout the summer at Good News United Methodist Church June 8-26 and Destin United Methodist Church July 6-31. Cost is $125/student for first week and $100/additional week. Siblings are $100/first week and $80/additional week. There are some limited daily rates at $35/child.
Applications are being accepted for student volunteers ages 13 and up. Call 586-8264 or register at www.holykidzcamps.com.
The Emerald Coast Science Center, 31 SW Memorial Parkway in Fort Walton Beach, will host the following summer camps. For costs and to register call 664-1261.
• June 9-11: Superhero Camp
• June 12: Lego Workshop
• June 16-19: Gulf Coast Adventure Camp
• June 23-25: Build It Camp
• June 26: Lego Workshop
• July 7-9: Circus Camp
• July 14-16: Dino Camp
• July 21-24: out of this World Camp
• July 24: Lego Workshop
Fine Art Summer Camp
Children and teens can work in different mediums weekly including drawing, painting, sculpture, and calligraphy from basic to advanced from 5 days a week, 3 hours a day. Choose 9 a.m. to noon or 12:30-3:30 p.m. Monday-Friday, with no more than five students. Cost is $95 per week session in the Niceville studio. Call 279-3601, 598-7887 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Northwest Florida Ballet offers a summer workshop for students entering the fourth grade and up as well as a dance camp experience for students entering the second and third grades. Workshop will be held June 8-July 3 and the Dance Camp will be held June 15-June 26. Visit nfballet.org/summer-workshop for times, prices and registration.
Registration is open for the 2015 Youth Village Summer Camp at 312 Pelham Road in Fort Walton Beach. Activities include field trips, drama/theater workshops, end-of-summer community production, end-of-summer pirate cruise, fitness classes with a certified group fitness instructor, reading circle, arts and crafts and more.
Hours are 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. June 8-Aug. 14 for children in Kindergarten through eighth grade. Email email@example.com or visit www.nelliesyouthvillage.org.
The kick-off celebration for the Every Hero Has a Story summer program at the Destin Library will be held at 1 p.m. June 10. Registration for the program is recommended. Call 837-8572 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Holy Mackerel Summer Camps
Week-long camps for ages 5 years to 5th grade will be held from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. June 15-19, July 6-10 and July 20-24 at Immanuel Anglican Church in Destin. Children will sing, dance, enjoy Bible study, skits, missions, crafts and some free time. Cost is $80/session and $60/siblings. Registration fee is $25. Sixth and seventh graders can attend as leaders in training. Call 830-3146 or email ChildrenMin@iac.gccoxmail.com.
The Emerald Coast Wildlife Refuge will hold its SummerWild Camp learning about all things related to wildlife rehabilitation, rescue, species, etc., from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. June 15-Aug. 14 at HarborWalk Village for those entering first to sixth grade. Cost is $150/week or $30/day and $100/siblings. Military discount is 10 percent. Snacks, juice, and water are provided and campers bring their own lunch each day. Register at 830-3933 or email email@example.com.
Emerald Coast Theatre Company
ECTC’s third annual children’s theater summer series, presented with support from the Mattie Kelly Arts Foundation, features three programs in three different locations. Visit http://www.emeraldcoasttheatre.org/ for times, costs and registration.
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, June 15-20 at the South Walton Campus of Northwest Florida State College in Santa Rosa Beach for students from second through 12th grades, and from June 22-27 at Destin Elementary allows children to put on a play about courage and the love of freedom.
Act, sing and dance to popular Broadway tunes during Camp Broadway July 6-10 at Seaside Neighborhood School for grades three through 10.
Disney’s “Peter Pan Jr.” Musical Theater Camp, in partnership with Rise Dance Studios, is a modern version of the timeless tale July 13-25 at Rise Dance Center, 4489 AB Commons Drive West in Destin, for grades two through 12.
Kids' Summer Art Camp
The Arts and Design Society, 17 First St. in Fort Walton Beach, offers children the opportunity to participate in creating visual arts in Kids Art Camp. Classes begin on Monday and feature a different medium each day, including clay artistry, drawing, and painting. Each week ends with an art show and reception for the families.
Sessions are 9:30-11:30 a.m. June 22–26 for ages 6-8; 1-3 p.m. June 22-26 for ages 9-13; 9:30-11:30 a.m. July 13-17 for ages 6-11; and 1-3 p.m. July 13-17 for ages 6-11.
Cost is $70/children of non-members and $60/children of members. Pre-registration required by June 19 for June sessions and July 10 for July sessions. For information call 244-1271, or visit www.artsdesignsociety.org.