Community Happenings Aug. 19
All area codes are 850 unless noted.
Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast will host the Oneblood mobile unit from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Aug. 19 at the main entrance of the hospital. All donors will receive a free Tervis cup and a meal ticket to the hospital’s café.
Destin Library celebration
The Destin Library will celebrate its 75th Anniversary with an open house and ice cream social beginning at 1 p.m. Aug. 21. This event is free and open to the public. Staff and Friends members will turn time back to the 1940’s. A “back to future” room will allow visitors to “move from the 40’s to the present” as a way of highlighting all that has changed in 75 years. Call 837-8572.
The Junior League of the Emerald Coast hosts its Annual Recruitment Social from 6-8 p.m. Aug. 25 at The Breakers on Okaloosa Island. All women 21 years old and up in Santa Rosa, Okaloosa and Walton counties are invited to attend the free event and learn about the Junior League’s history and the benefits of membership. The recruitment session will highlight how members volunteer in the community, networking and socialize with other dynamic and diverse women, and improve their leadership skills. Refreshments will be provided.
Alzheimer’s Support Group
The Covenant Alzheimer’s Support Group meets from 2-3:30 p.m. Aug. 25 in the Suite 3 Education Center at Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast. Meets last Tuesday of month. Call 499-3390.
Spine surgery seminar
Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast will host a seminar featuring spine health at 6 p.m. Aug. 26 in the Suite 3 Conference Room, a modular building in front of the Family Birth Place, with Dr. Kornelis Poelstra, board-certified neuro and orthopedic spine surgeon. A light meal will be provided. Seating is limited. Please call 278-3600 to register.
Bereavement Support Group
Share and learn more about the grief journey you are enduring with an Emerald Coast Hospice bereavement group at 1:30 p.m. Wednesdays at the Destin Library. Groups are free and ongoing.
The American Cancer Society will host a Making Strides Against Breast Cancer kickoff rally and informational meeting at 6 p.m. Aug. 27 at La Famiglia in Destin Commons to share details about its upcoming community walk.
Okaloosa County Supervisor of Elections will hold Candidate University from 6-9 p.m. Sept. 1 at the Buddy Brackin Building, 302 Wilson St. N., Suite 102, in Crestview and from 9 a.m. to noon Sept. 3 in the Water and Sewer Building, 1804 Lewis Turner Blvd. in Fort Walton Beach. Candidate University focuses on the fundamentals of becoming and being a candidate. Call Bridget Richard Krebs at 689-5600 or email email@example.com to register. Deadline is Aug. 24.
A workshop to assist students in Okaloosa County High Schools who will take the Sept. 12 ACT and Oct. 3 SAT will be held from 2:15-4:15 p.m. Sept. 8-10 and 14-16 at Fort Walton Beach High School. All materials, snacks and drinks are furnished. Students need to bring calculators. Registration deadline is Aug. 21. For information, contact Alice Hart at 615-585-2401, email Amhart1966@aol.com or contact your high school guidance department.
Local birder Lenny Fenimore will lead a bird walk at Swift Creek and Niceville Sprayfields Sept. 19. Meet at 7:30 a.m. at 304 Piney Creek Cove in Swift Creek, Niceville. Wear good walking/hiking shoes and bring binoculars, water, bugspray, long pants and a hat. Call 863-2039.
• Sept. 26: Malcom Swan will lead a bird walk to the Fort Walton Holding Ponds and Okaloosa Landfill to see shorebirds, ducks, wading birds, raptors, and possibly early fall migrants. Bring binoculars, water, and insect repellent, and wear long pants, good walking shoes, and a hat. Meet at 7:30 a.m. at Pepitos Restaurant, 1313 Lewis Turner Blvd. in Fort Walton Beach. Call 210-343-9082.
Arm Wrestling Championship
American Legion Post 296 in Destin will host the 2015 Florida Panhandle Arm Wrestling Championship beginning at noon Sept. 19 at 311 Main Street in Destin. Early weigh-ins are Friday from 7-10 p.m. and Saturday from 9-11 a.m. Weight class pounds are 154, 165, 187, 198, 220 and 220+. For more information, call 424-7954, 533-0644 or 865-9330.
Steak & Stake fundraiser
Daniel “Rudy” Ruettiger will speak at the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Emerald Coast’s Second Annual Steak & Stake Dinner Sept. 24 at the Hilton Sandestin Golf & Beach Resort. For information, visit http://emeraldcoastbgc.org/events/.
Connecting Kids inaugural Cornhole Tournament
Connecting Kids, Inc., an organization serving children of all abilities in the community, will host its first Cornhole Tournament Oct. 10 at the Mullet Festival Grounds in Niceville. Check in begins at 9 a.m. Bring chairs and enjoy a day of amateur cornhole, food, snow cones and activities for the kids. Registration fee is $40 per two person team. Deadline to enter is Oct. 3. Visit www.connectingkids.net.
Grand Boulevard Farmers’ Market
The market will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday in Grand Park in Miramar Beach between Cantina Laredo and Tommy Bahama’s. Vendors will offer locally sourced food-based items including produce, eggs, milk, butter, grass-fed beef, chicken, lamb, and pork, honey, pickled vegetables and gourmet jams. Market is held on Wednesdays from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
The WaterColor Coastal Farmers Market will be held from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. every Sunday at Cerulean Park. Traditional Farmers Market items such as local farm fresh produce, eggs, and dairy products will be available. There will also be a large variety of organic and homemade items such as Greek gourmet foods, hot and jerk sauces, grass fed beef, chicken, and pork. Market is held on Thursdays from March 12 through Labor Day.
30A Farmers’ Market
This community event from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sundays in Town Center in Rosemary Beach features fresh vegetables, fruits, eggs, honey, cheese and more. Market is held on Thursdays from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
Seaside Farmers Market
Get your pick of fresh produce, baked goods, dairy products, native plants and other unique offerings Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Amphitheatre behind Raw & Juicy. Enjoy special cooking demos and activities.
Duplicate Bridge, ACBL, will be held at 9:50 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Thursday at St. Andrews Episcopal Church, 307 Harbor Blvd. in Destin. Cost is $7. No partner necessary. For more information e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Destin Life Center
Recreation and fitness activities at Destin Life Center at Destin United Methodist Church, 200 Beach Drive, include the following. Hours are 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Closed Sunday. From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday visit the Soul Café for lunch. Call ahead for dine in or pick up. For information, call the DLC at 837-2021.
• Adult Open Soccer: From 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays. Fee is $2/player.
• Adult Open Volleyball: From 6-9 p.m. Tuesdays. Fee is $2/player.
• Pickleball: From 2-5 p.m. Monday-Friday and 9 a.m. to noon Saturday.
• DLC Fitness Cardio/Weight Room: Nautilus equipment, three treadmills, two ellipticals and one recumbent bike. Memberships are $40/calendar quarter; $30/month; $20/week; and $10/day.
• Community Fitness Classes: Indoor cycling, Zumba, Rise and Stretch, PIYO, Cardio Dance, Forever Young (senior aerobics) and more. Costs are $40/month; $7/class; $20/month Forever Young, fitness for seniors; and $3/individual Forever Young.
Destin Community Center
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 or email email@example.com for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Chair Yoga: Class will be held at 10 a.m. Monday and Thursday. Cost is $4/class.
• Game Room: Open to children age 10 and older from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• Line Dancing: Class for beginners will be at 12:30 p.m. Thursdays. Intermediate lessons are held at 1:30. Open dance is from 1:15-1:30 p.m. The class is $6.
• Senior Pilates: Class will be held from 9-10 a.m. Mondays. Cost is $6/class.
• Table Tennis: Tuesdays from 2-5 p.m. and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to noon.
• Yoga: Class will be held Thursdays at noon. Open to all yoga enthusiasts of any level. Cost is $6/class. Please bring a mat and towel.
• Zumba Gold: Mondays and Thursdays at 11 a.m. Cost is $6/class.