Community Happenings 2-13
TODAY, FEBRUARY 13
Athena Marler Creamer will sign copies of her book, “The Help of Destin, Emma Irby," from 5-7 p.m. Feb. 13 at the Destin History and Fishing Museum on Stahlman Avenue. Invited guests who contributed story material for the book will be on hand. There will be refreshments and prizes.
Destin City Hall
The Harbor CRA-AC will meet at 5:30 p.m. Feb. 13 at the City Hall Annex, 4100 Indian Bayou Trail.
All area codes are 850 unless noted.
The First Presbyterian Church of Fort Walton Beach, 134 Beal Avenue, SW, will be the site of a SERRV Craft Market, an international craft market of fairly traded handmade items from around the world, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Feb. 17 and 24 and from 10 a.m., to 1 p.m. Feb. 13, 16, 20 and 23.
See a large assortment of authentic and unique items and shop for handmade items from around the world. Purchasers will have the satisfaction of knowing that they have helped make a difference in the lives of artisans who are striving to support their families and are being paid fairly for their efforts. Call 243-3732 or 243-4777.
An open house at Destin Middle School will begin at 5:30 p.m. Feb. 14 in the cafeteria for incoming fifth-graders and at 6 p.m. in the gym for incoming sixth-graders. The school is at 4608 Legendary Marina Drive. Fifth graders will move to DMS in the fall.
Lenten Fish Fry
The Knights of Columbus, Emerald Coast Council #11893, will hold a fish fry from 3-7 p.m. Feb. 15 at Corpus Christi Catholic Church, 307 Beach Drive in Destin. Cost is $9/adults and $4/children. All money goes to charity. Call 837-9344 for advance tickets.
CPA firm Carr, Riggs & Ingram, LLC (CRI) will host a seminar focusing on the Affordable Care Act’s employer mandate (commonly referred to as “pay or play”) at 9:30 a.m. Feb. 15 at 500 Grand Boulevard, Suite 210, in Miramar Beach. Seating is limited. To reserve your space, call 837-3141 or email email@example.com.
Topsail Hill Preserve State Park in Santa Rosa Beach will hold the following tours. All programs except Breakfast with a Ranger require a $6 entry admission into the park. Outside tours are canceled during severe weather. For information, call 267-8330.
• Feb. 15: Take a sunset hike at 5 p.m.
• Feb. 16: Find out about exotic plants and why they are eradicated at 2 p.m.
• Feb. 23: Hike the tram road to the shore of Campbell Lake, one of the rarest types of habitat in the world, at 2 p.m.
Mainstay Financial Group will present a special seminar, “Annuities: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly,” at 10 a.m. Feb. 18 in the Suite 3 Resource Center conference room at Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast. To register for this free seminar, call 278-3600.
Covenant training workshop
Covenant Hospice is seeking individuals and groups to join its volunteer team. A training workshop will be held from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Feb. 19 at the Covenant Hospice office, 220 Eglin Parkway N.E. in Fort Walton Beach. The workshop is free and open to the public. Lunch will be provided. Covenant provides a flexible volunteer schedule with opportunities for one time, periodic or weekly volunteer assignments. To register or to learn more, call 598-9634.
The Destin Library will offer computer workshops from 9:30-11:30 a.m. on the following dates. Workshops are open to individuals with a valid library card and will be on a first-come, first-served basis. Pre-registration required at the library or by fax. The last day for pre-registration will be two days prior to the scheduled workshop date. Call 837-8572.
•eBook Readers User Group: Feb. 20
• Picasa: Feb. 20
• Email 1: Feb. 27
• Pinterest: Feb. 27
• Email 2: March 13
• Photo Sharing: March 13
AARP Income Tax help
Volunteers from AARP will provide free individual federal tax assistance on an appointment only basis at the Destin Library from 9 am. to 5 p.m. Thursdays through April 11. Call 837â€8572 and make an appointment.
Then and Now
The Then and Now Lecture Series presents Historian Alan Manning on Dr Daniel E. Miller on “Birth of Czechoslovakia in 1918: What the inhabitants of Fort Walton Beach Knew About it” at 6 p.m. Feb. 22 at the Indiana Temple Mound Museum in Fort Walton Beach. Bok signing of “Forging Political Compromise” follows. Call 833-9595 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The 11th annual Emerald Coast Metaphysical Festival, hosted by Unlimited Horizons, will be held from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Feb. 23 and 24, at the Crowne Plaza Grand Hotel in Pensacola. Guest speakers and more than 75 vendors, psychics, readers, healers will attend. Admittance is $10 per day, $5 children 11 and under. For more information, visit www.UnlimitedHorizons.org, Facebook.com/UnlimitedHorizons or call 610-0919.
Spring Craft Show
The City of Destin’s Sixth Annual Spring Craft Show will be held from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Feb. 23 and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Feb. 24 the Destin Community Center. There will be handcrafted jewelry, woodcarvings, watercolor paintings and more from more than 70 vendors. Vendor booths are available for $40/Destin residents and $50/non-residents. Corner booths are an additional $10. Register early. Call 654-5184.
Team parties for the 2013 Destin Relay for Life will be held at 6 p.m. Feb. 27 and March 20 at the Elks Lodge on Okaloosa Island. Call 318-455-9400 or email email@example.com.
Arbor Wealth Management, LLC, a “fee-only” registered investment advisory firm, will host a seminar, “Income Generation: Making Your Portfolio Pay Monthly,” at 10 a.m. Feb. 27 in the Arbor Wealth Conference Room. Refreshments will be served. Call 608-6121 to reserve seating.
State of the City Address
Mayor Sam Seevers invites the public to the City of Destin’s Annual State of the City Address at 5:30 p.m. Feb. 28 in the Council Chambers at the Destin City Hall Annex.
Choctawhatchee Audubon Society
• March 2: Bird Walk at Point Washington will be led by Tom Greene. Wear old shoes or waterproof boots, and also insect repellant. Meet at the Bluewater Winn Dixie at 7:40 a.m. or at the Tom Thumb store at the intersection of U.S. 98 and SR 331 in South Walton County at 8:30 a.m. Call 582-7064.
• March 7: Monthly meeting at 6:30 p.m. in Room 132 of the new Student Services Center at Northwest Florida State College’s main campus in Niceville. The meeting is free and open to the public. Call 582-7064.
• March 16: Bird and Nature Walk at Topsail Hill with Ross Hamilton. Meet at the Winn Dixie at Bluewater Bay at 7:30 a.m. or at Topsail Hill at 7:55 a.m. Call 582-7064.
• March 23: Bird and Nature Walk in the Upland Hardwoods of Walton County with master gardener Dave Gordon. See hawks, bluebirds, blooming mountain laurel, native azaleas, and other flora and topography more often associated with piedmont areas. Meet at Food World in Niceville at 7:30 a.m. and the Walton County Extension Office on Hwy 83N at 8 a.m. Be ready for a walk on a forest path. Call 401-1578.
Hats for Hope
The Destin Woman’s Club will host Hats for Hope, a fashion show and luncheon, at 11 a.m. March 16 at the Linkside Conference Center at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort. Features include a raffle row, designer table and silent auction delights. Proceeds will benefit Shelter House, the domestic violence center serving Okaloosa and Walton counties. Tickets are available at Today’s Boutique in Destin, P.S. Gifts in Fort Walton Beach and Bayou Books in Niceville as well as online. Tickets are $45.
A workshop to assist students in Okaloosa County High Schools who will take the April 13 ACT and the May 4 SAT will be held from 2-5 p.m. April 11, 12, 17 and 18 at Niceville High School and from 2-5 p.m. April 9,10, 15 and 16 at Fort Walton Beach High School. All materials, snacks and drinks are furnished. Students need to bring calculators. Registration deadline is March 25. For information, contact Alice Hart at 615-585-2401, email Amhart1966@aol.com or contact your high school Guidance Department.
Spring Wild Children’s Camp
Spring Break Camp for grades 1-6 will be held March 18-22, March 25-29 and April 1-5 at HarborWalk Village. Camp includes wildlife encounters, marine education and wildlife fun, and beach activities. Cst is $150/week with family discounts available. To register, call 650-1880 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following events are held regularly at the Destin Library. Call 837-8572
• Tai Chi for Arthritis: At 7 a.m. Wednesdays. Cost is $5/class.
• Cuddlers & Toddlers Storytime: From 3-3:45 p.m. Tuesdays and 9:30-10:15 a.m. Thursdays for ages 4 months to 4 years.
• Independent Film Series: Independent and foreign films shown at 7 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month.
• Friends of the Destin Library: Monthly meeting held at 10 a.m. the second Friday of each month.
Destin Community Center
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Baton lessons: Begins in the spring. Call 699-8309.
• Chair yoga: Thursday at 10 a.m. Cost is $3/class.
• Duplicate bridge: At 9:30 a.m. Mondays and 12:30 p.m. Wednesdays and 9:30 a.m. Thursdays at Buck Destin Park. Entry fee: $6. No partner needed.
• Game room: Open to children 10 and older and under 10 accompanied by adult from 1-9 p.m. Monday-Friday.
• Intermediate party bridge: Mondays and Tuesdays at 12:45 p.m. at Buck Destin Park. Call 837-1967.
• Jazzercise class: 6 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Call 621-3055.
• Kidz Klub: After-school program from 3:30-5:30 p.m.
• Modern line dance: Classes from 12:30 to 2 p.m. Wednesdays beginning Jan. 11. Fee is $5/class.
• Open gym: Check ahead for times and dates open.
• Pickle ball: Pickle Ball courts will be set up at noon Mondays and Thursdays for beginning players and 10 a.m. Wednesdays and Fridays for advanced players. Fee is $2.
• Table tennis: 9 a.m. to noon Thursdays and 3-5 p.m. Tuesdays.
• Tennis Academy: A tennis program with USPTA Professional Brian Wilson at Buck Destin Park on Legion Drive. This program will be open to all ages and abilities with days and times to be determined. Group classes will be one hour long and cost $15 a session. Private lessons will be $50 an hour. To sign up or for more information, email email@example.com.
• Walking Club: Walk with music from 8-9 a.m. Monday-Friday.
• Woodcarving: Fridays at 9 a.m. Fee is $3.
• Yoga: Thursdays at noon. Cost is $5/class.
• Zumba gold: Thursday at 11 a.m. Cost is $6/class.