Community Happenings 5-29
TODAY, MAY 29
• Fair: Fort Walton BeachMedical Center and Twin Cities Hospital will host the Second Annual Community Health & Fitness Fair from 8:30 a.m. to noon May 29 at SAM’s Club in Fort Walton Beach. Fair provides educational materials and basic health information. Free and open to the public.
• Open House: Belk will celebrate its 125th anniversary beginning at 9 a.m. May 29 with decorations, entertainment and refreshments, as well as sales promotions throughout the store. The first 100 customers will receive a Belk gift card.
• Seminar: Arbor Wealth Management, LLC, a “fee-only” registered investment advisory firm, will host an Income Generation Seminar, “Making Your Portfolio Pay Monthly” at 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. May 29 in the Arbor Wealth Conference Room. Call 608-6121 to reserve seating. Refreshments will be served.
All area codes are 850 unless noted.
Main Street Market
Destin’s Main Street Market is open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday in the Destin Water Users Building, 218 Main Street, with fresh local produce, baked goods, jams and jellies, jewelry, soap, farm fresh eggs, milk, local roasted coffee, tacos, Crust artisan bakers, fresh gyros and salads. Call 855-6384.
Celebrate the First
Catholic Charities will host "Celebrate the First on First Street" from 8 a.m. to noon June 1 at the Catholic Charities office, 11 First Street S.E., in Fort Walton Beach. The event includes a Hidden Treasures rummage sale, arts and crafts, hot dogs, children’s activities, a fire truck, and the “Safe Assured ID” service presented by the Okaloosa County Sheriff's Office. This service is free of charge, and includes a free ID kit that contains data that helps law enforcement in the case of a missing child.
National Doughnut Day
Stop in at Krispy Kreme on June 7 for a free doughnut of any variety to celebrate National Doughnut Day. No purchase necessary; while supplies last.
Lincoln-Reagan fundraising dinner
The Okaloosa County Republican Executive Committee will hold its annual Lincoln-Reagan Fundraising Dinner at 6 p.m. June 8 in the Ambassador Room, Ramada Plaza Beach Resort, 1500 Miracle Strip Parkway in Fort Walton Beach. Donations are needed for the silent auction. Blaise Ingoglia, vice-chairman of the Republican Party of Florida and the creator of Government Gone Wild videos and the website governmentgonewild.org is one of the speakers. Tickets are $45/students and Century Club Members: $55/general admission. Call 651-5049 for information.
Summer Feeding Program
The Okaloosa County School District will participate in the Summer Feeding Program serving breakfast and lunch for all children 18 years of age and younger at no charge.
• Destin Elementary: June 10 to Aug. 9, breakfast 7:15-8:15 a.m. and lunch 11:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
• Destin Middle: June 11 to June 28, breakfast 6:45-7:30 a.m. and lunch 10:45-11:30 a.m.
Leaders In Business Lunch
The Destin Area Chamber of Commerce’s Leaders In Business Lunch from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. June 11 at Destin United Methodist Church will focus on those who give back to our community. This Lunch with a Purpose highlights the Chamber’s non-profit organizations, allowing them to share their stories and mission with other Chamber members and the Destin community. Cost is $15/members who pre-register, $20/members at the door, and $30/non-members. Members who register before 3 p.m., on Friday, June 7, will be entered to win free website advertising on DestinChamber.com and free advertising in the Chamber’s monthly Network newsletter. Call 837-6241.
Dinner and seminar
Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast will host a free dinner and seminar on heart health at 5 p.m. June 13 in the Student Services Building at NWFSC in Niceville. Attendees will enjoy a free heart healthy dinner and lectures on cardiac health. Space is limited and reservations are required at 278-3600.
Okaloosa County Supervisor of Elections will hold Candidate University from 9 a.m. to noon in Crestview and 6-9 p.m. in Fort Walton Beach June 20 for anyone interested in running for public office or just wanting to learn about the candidate process. Call Bridget Richard at 689-5600 or email email@example.com to register before June 17. Candidate University will be held again in the fall for anyone interested in attending.All participants will receive a certificate upon completion of the program and there is no cost to attend.
Middle School Dance
Destin Middle School Cheerleaders host a social evening of dancing, music, and refreshments from 7-9 p.m. Sept. 13 at the Destin Community Center. Cost is $5/person. Register at 654-5184.
The following events are held regularly at the Destin Library. Call 837-8572
• Tai Chi for Arthritis: At 7 a.m. Wednesdays. Cost is $5/class.
• Cuddlers & Toddlers Storytime: From 3-3:45 p.m. Tuesdays and 9:30-10:15 a.m. Thursdays for ages 4 months to 4 years.
• Independent Film Series: Independent and foreign films shown at 7 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month.
• Friends of the Destin Library: Monthly meeting held at 10 a.m. the second Friday of each month.
Destin Community Center
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Chair yoga: Monday and Thursday at 10 a.m. Cost is $3/class.
• Duplicate bridge: Mondays and Thursdays at 9:30 a.m. and 12:320 p.m. Wednesdays. Entry fee: $6. No partner needed. Bridge lessons 11 a.m. Wednesdays.
• Intermediate party bridge: Mondays and Tuesdays at 12:45 p.m. at Buck Destin Park. Call 837-1967. Beginning bridge class at 12:30 p.m. Wednesdays. $2/session.
• Jazzercise class: 6 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Call 621-3055.
• Kidz Klub: After-school program from 3:30-5:30 p.m. Now accepting applications.
• Low Impact Aerobics: Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 9:15 a.m. Bring water and a towel. Cost is $3/session.
• MMA Fitness: Class from 6-7 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday for all ages. Cost is $7. Grappling bags and gloves provided.
• Pickleball: Pickle Ball courts are available. Call if interested.
• Walking Club: Walk with music from 8-9 a.m. Monday-Friday.
• Woodcarving: Fridays at 9 a.m. Fee is $2.
• Yoga: Thursdays at noon. Cost is $5/class.
• Zumba gold: Monday and Thursday at 11 a.m. Cost is $6/class.