Community Happenings Feb. 8
All area codes are 850 unless noted.
The Destin United Methodist Women will host its annual Chocolat’ Fare from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Feb. 8 in the Destin Life Center at Destin United Methodist Church. Everything is homemade — and chocolate. The women will also have their jewelry for sale.
The Presbyterian Women of Fort Walton Beach’s First Presbyterian Church will host its 13th SERRV International Craft Market, with handmade items from many countries for sale, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Feb. 8; 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Feb. 9, 16, 23; and from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Feb. 12, 15, 19, and 22 in the Fellowship Hall, 134 Beal Parkway, SW. Call 243-3732.
Learn about wintering shorebirds with ornithologist Alan Knothe Feb. 8 on a bird walk at Okaloosa Island’s East Pass and Gulf Beach adjacent to the West Jetty. Meet at 7:30 a.m. at the parking area on the south side of U.S. 98 adjacent to the western end of the Destin Bridge. Call 862-3498.
• Feb. 22: Visit the Coffeen Nature Preserve with Susan Paladini, preserve manager. Meet at 7:30 a.m. at Winn Dixie on Hwy. 20 in Bluewater Bay. Call 267-2312.
Income Tax Help
Volunteers from AARP will provide free individual federal tax assistance by appointment only from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursdays through April 10 at the Destin Library. Call 837-8572 to make appointment.
Integrative Health & Wellness Solutions offers a Healthy Kids, Happy Families eWorkshop and Preventive Healthcare eWorkshop beginning Feb. 10 for six weeks. Call 496-0418 or register at yourintegrativehealthsolutions.com.
A captain’s meeting for the City of Destin’s Spring 17+ and 30+ Basketball Leagues will be held at 6:30 p.m. Feb. 11 at the Community Center to cover league rules, department policies, schedules, and uniform requirements. Pizza and soft drinks will be provided.
The Destin Toastmasters Club will hold its annual open house at 5:45 p.m. Feb. 11 at the South Walton Utilities Building, 369 Miramar Beach Road in Miramar Beach. Everyone is invited. The purpose of the club is to help people overcome their fear of public speaking. Call 502-9340 for more infomation.
A public forum will be held to discuss Highway 98 Road Construction Project and Utility Coordination at 1 p.m. Feb. 13 at the Destin City Hall Annex, 4100 Indian Bayou Trail. For more information, email Marybeth.washnock@wfrpc or call 332-7976, ext. 228.
Fort Walton Beach Medical Center Auxiliary, in partnership with Masquerade Fundraising Inc., will host a $5 jewelry and accessories sale from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Feb. 13 and from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Feb. 14 at the hospital, 1000 Marwalt Dr. Twenty percent of all sales will help to fund the Auxiliary's scholarship program available to graduating high school seniors pursuing degrees in health care related fields.
Destin Bridal Expo
Enjoy a fun time with your bridesmaids and friends with vendors, door prizes, grand prizes, fashion shows and more at the Destin Bridal Expo at 1 p.m. Feb. 16 at Seascape Resort. Entry is $10 or $7/early registration at www.bridesjustwannahavefun.com.
The Sand Dunes Chapter of Embroiderers' Guild of America will have a showing of members' needlework projects, “Needle Arts in the Atrium III,” from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Feb. 15 and 1-4 p.m. Feb. 16 at the Meridian at Westwood Retirement Resort, 1001 Marwalt Drive in Fort Walton Beach. Admission is free and refreshments will be served from 2-4 p.m. Feb. 16.
Financial Matters Seminar
Mainstay Financial Group will present a free seminar, “Healthcare Costs – Planning for Bumps in the Road with Long-term Care,” at 10 a.m. Feb. 17 in the Family Birth Place conference room at Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast. To register for this free seminar, call 278-3600 or visit www.sacredheartemerald.org.
Northwest Florida State College will host a Community Open House on the college's main campus in Niceville from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Feb. 17. Featured will be free activities, seminars, demonstrations, art exhibits and more. An opening reception will be held at 10 a.m. in the courtyard at the east end of the Student Services Center.
OCREC candidate forum
The Republican Party of Okaloosa Countywill host a candidate forum at 5:30 p.m. Feb. 19 at the Destin City Hall Annex, 4100 Indian Bayou Trail. Doors open at 5 p.m.
Affordable Care Act 101
The League of Women Voters of Okaloosa County hosts the Panhandle's official patient navigator, Kara Bryant of Families Count, and Kelly James from Florida Blue Cross/Blue Shield from 5:30-7 p.m. Feb. 20 at the Brooks-Beal Center, 100 Beal Parkway SW in Fort Walton Beach, to discuss how implementation is going in our community, explain the types of policies available and help you enroll on the spot. The meeting is free and open to the public. Light refreshments will be served.
Spring Craft Show
The City of Destin’s Seventh Annual Spring Craft Show will be held from 12-6 p.m. Feb. 21 and 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Feb. 22 at the Community Center. Admission is free. Vendors call 654-5184 to reserve space.
The fourth annual WAM Conference will be held from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Feb. 22 at the Costa Leadership Institute at NWFSC in Niceville. The conference offers breakout workshops on organizing your finances, making your money work for you, credit repair, insurance, entrepreneurship and more. This free conference includes all workshops, keynote address, breakfast and lunch. Free childcare will be provided on-site. To reserve childcare, call 243-1201. Register at http://www.eventbrite.com/e/4th-annual-wam-conference-tickets-10009910913.
The Prime Time Program at NWFSC’s new class, Environmental Education, will offer lessons in a variety of outdoor activities. Participate in fishing on the Gulf Coast and learn about boat safety and GPS systems, and hunting skills and techniques.
Classes meet from 6-8:30 p.m. Feb. 24, March 3, 10 and 17 on the Niceville Campus, Building S, Room 304. Registration fee is $40. Call 729-6085 or email email@example.com.
Let local businesses pamper you with food, seminars, massages and door prizes when the Friends of the Niceville Public Library host their annual Pamper Me event from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. March 1 at the Niceville Community Center for ages 12 and up. Admission is $3. Call 279-4863, ext. 1504.
The merchants of Downtown Fort Walton Beach will hold a Farmer’s Market from 8 a.m. to noon March 8 in downtown Fort Walton Beach, 201 S.E. Miracle Strip Parkway in the grassy area behind Burrito Del Sol and Bella Day Spa & Hair Studio.
Future dates include April 12, May 10, June 14, July 12 and Aug. 9.
The Junior League of the Emerald Coast’s sixth annual Spring Market will be held April 26 and 27 at the Emerald Coast Convention Center on Okaloosa Island and will feature vendors from around the country selling unique gifts and quality merchandise. To become a sponsor or a vendor, email JLECMarket@yahoo.com. Call 862-2665.
The following events are held regularly at the Destin Library. Call 837-8572.
• Tai Chi: 9-10 a.m. Mondays. Cost is $5/class. Register by phone at 837-8572 or in person at the Library.
• Cuddlers & Toddlers Storytime: From 3-3:45 p.m. Tuesdays and 9:30-10:15 a.m. Thursdays for ages 4 months to 4 years.
• Independent Film Series: Independent and foreign films shown at 7 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month.
• Friends of the Destin Library: Monthly meeting held at 10 a.m. the second Friday of each month.
Destin Community Center
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Adult Open Gym: Monday from 5:30-8:30 p.m. for 17 and up to play full-court pickup basketball games. Destin residents are free and non-residents are $2.
• Brazilian Martial Arts: A Capoeira class that combines the elements of dance, acrobatics and music from 7-9 p.m. Thursday.
• Chair Yoga: Free class at 10 a.m. Monday and Thursday. Cost is $4.
• Duplicate bridge: Monday and Thursday at 9:15 a.m. and Wednesdays at 12:30. Entry fee: $6. No partner needed.
• Intermediate party bridge: Monday and Tuesday at 12:45 p.m. at Buck Destin Park on Legion Drive. Call 837-1967. Beginning bridge class at 12:30 p.m. Wednesday. Cost $2.
• Kidz Klub: After-school program from 3:30-5:30 p.m. Monday-Friday for grades K-4. Snacks provided.
• Line dancing: Beginners class begins at 12:30 p.m. Thursday, open dance at 1:15 and intermediate dancers at 1:30. Fee is $5.
• Low Impact Aerobics: Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 9:15 a.m. Cost is $3/session.
• Pickleball: All levels, including first timers, welcome. Beginner lessons available from 12-1 p.m. Mondays and 11 a.m. to noon Wednesdays and Fridays. Intermediate and advance open play from 1-3 p.m. Mondays and 12-3 p.m. Wednesdays and Fridays. Cost is $2/resident and $3/non-resident.
• Shotokan Karate: The class promotes life enrichment, physical fitness, discipline, focus and self-defense at 6 p.m. Monday and Wednesday. Fee is $65/month.
• Spring 17+ Basketball League: The City of Destin’s Spring 17+ Basketball League begins Feb. 20. Games will be played on Thursday nights at 6:30, 7:30, and 8:30 p.m. Team sponsorship fee is $275. Individual registration fees are $20/residents and $30/non- residents.
• Spring 30+ Basketball League: The Spring 30+ Basketball League begins Feb. 18 at 6:30, 7:30 and 8:30 p.m. Teams sponsorship fee is $275. Individual registration fees are $20/residents (with proof of residency inside Destin city limits) and $30/non-residents.
• Table tennis: Competition from 2:30-5 p.m. Tuesdays and 9 a.m. to noon Thursdays.
• Turbo kick: Fitness class at 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays. Fee is $10.
• Woodcarving: Fridays at 9 a.m. Fee is $2.
• Yoga: Bring a mat and towel at noon Thursdays. Cost is $6.
• Zumba gold: Mondays and Thursdays at 11 a.m. Cost is $6.