Community Happenings June 11
All area codes are 850 unless noted.
Destin Harbor Farmer’s Market
Take your pick of fresh from the farm veggies, fruits, dairy products, meat, seafood, artisan breads, homemade desserts, and more from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays at the Destin harbor. Enjoy prepared food from Greek, Mediterranean, Indian, French, Italian, Mexican, Cuban, and American cultures. And pick up a few organic dog and cat treats for your furry friends. Call 499-4697.
The merchants of Downtown Fort Walton Beach will hold a Farmer’s Market from 8 a.m. to noon June 14 in downtown Fort Walton Beach, 201 S.E. Miracle Strip Parkway in the grassy area behind Burrito Del Sol and Bella Day Spa & Hair Studio.
Future dates include July 12 and Aug. 9.
Covenant Hospice will offer a free seminar, “Hospice and Palliative Care Primer,” at 5:15 June 17 at the Fort Walton Beach branch office, 220 Eglin Parkway NE in Mariner Plaza in Fort Walton Beach. Kathleen Doran, R.N. and Edie Henley, R.N., CHPN will present the course. Reservations are required by June 13 at 598-0861. A light meal will be served.
Jenny Stuckey, registered nurse and certified diabetes educator, will host self-management classes from 12-4:30 p.m. June 18 and 19 in the Resource Center Suite 1 at Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast for adults with diabetes who are looking for ways to manage their disease. Pre-registration required and a physician referral is needed to attend. Call 278-3683.
Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast will host the OneBlood mobile unit from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. June 18 at the main entrance of the hospital. All donors will receive a free T-shirt and a meal ticket to the hospital’s café.
Duplicate Bridge, ACBL, will be held at 9:50 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Thursday at St. Andrews Episcopal Church, 307 Harbor Blvd. in Destin. Cost is $5. No partner necessary. For more information e-mail email@example.com
The NWFSC dental assisting students offer free dental X-rays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mondays-Thursdays, through June 27. Call 729-6480 to schedule an appointment.
Class of ‘94
Fort Walton Beach High School’s Class of ‘94 will hold a reunion weekend June 20-21. For details, visit www.fwbhs1994.com.
Bone Marrow Drive
United for a Good Cause Inc. will sponsor a Be the Match Bone Marrow Drive in honor of Silvia C. Delgadillo from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. June 21 during the Latin Salsa Festival at the Fort Walton Beach Landing. People of every background are needed on the register and especially from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds. For more info or to volunteer, call 368-3505, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summer Food Service Program
Free nutritionally balanced breakfasts and lunches will be provided to all children 18 and younger regardless of race, color, sex, disability, age or national origin during summer vacation. Hours are 7:30-8:30 a.m. and 11 a.m. to noon at Destin Elementary School and 8-8:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. at the Destin Family YMCA through Aug. 8.
Alzheimer’s support group
Alzheimer’s Family Services will hold a support group for family members or friends coping with a loved one with Alzheimer’s disease at 2 p.m. June 24 at Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast, Suite 3 Conference Room, in Miramar Beach. The support group is free and limited respite care is available. To make arrangements for respite, call 866-478-7790.
Big Truck Day
The City of Destin’s 16th Annual Big Truck Day will be held from 9-11 a.m. Aug. 7 in the Destin Community Center parking. Event is free for children of all ages.
Summer Splash Day
The City of Destin will host its annual Summer Splash Day for ages 5-12 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Aug. 15. There will be slip’n slides, a monster wave slide and a bounce house that includes an obstacle course and slide. Lunch and afternoon snack are provided. Fee is $30/residents and $40/non-residents.
The Destin Harbor Farmers’ Market will be open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays at 314 Harbor Blvd. Items include farm fresh produce, baked goods, Greek, Mediterranean, Indian, Italian and Mexican food, organic dog treats and more.
Abuse of addictive pharmaceutical drugs is on the rise. Learn to recognize the signs of drug abuse and get your loved ones help if they are at risk. Call Narconon for a free brochure on the signs of addiction for all types of drugs. Narconon also offers free assessments and referrals. Call 800-431-1754 or email DrugAbuseSolution.com.
Destin Community Center
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Adult Open Gym: Monday from 6-9 p.m. for 17 and up to play full-court pickup basketball games. Destin residents are free and non-residents are $2.
• Brazilian Martial Arts: A Capoeira class that combines the elements of dance, acrobatics and music from 7-9 p.m. Thursday.
• Chair Yoga: Monday and Thursday at 10 a.m. Cost is $4.
• Duplicate bridge: Monday and Thursday at 9:15 a.m. and Wednesdays at 12:30. Entry fee: $6. No partner needed.
• Intermediate party bridge: Monday and Tuesday at 12:45 p.m. at Buck Destin Park on Legion Drive. Call 837-1967. Cost $2.
• Kidz Klub: After-school program from 3:30-5:30 p.m. Monday-Friday for grades K-4. Snacks provided.
• Line dancing: Beginners class begins at 12:30 p.m. Thursday, open dance at 1:15 and intermediate dancers at 1:30. Fee is $5.
• Low Impact Aerobics: Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 9:15 a.m. Cost is $3/session.
• MMA Fitness: Tuesday and Thursday from 6-7 p.m. for all ages. Cost is $7/person. Grappling bags and gloves provided.
• Pickleball: All levels, including first timers, welcome. Cost is $2/resident and $3/non-resident.
• Shotokan Karate: Class promotes life enrichment, physical fitness, discipline, focus and self-defense at 6 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Fee is $65/month.
• Table tennis: Competition from 2:30-5 p.m. Tuesdays and 9 a.m. to noon Thursdays.
• Turbo kick: Fitness class at 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays. Fee is $10.
• Walking Club: Monday-Friday from 8-9 a.m. Walk with music.
• Woodcarving: Fridays at 9 a.m. Fee is $2.
• Yoga: Bring a mat and towel at noon Thursdays. Cost is $6.
• Zumba gold: Mondays and Thursdays at 11 a.m. Cost is $6.