Community Happenings July 23
All area codes are 850 unless noted.
The Oneblood mobile unit will be at the main entrance of Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. July 23. Call 278-3600.
‘Cram the Van’
The United Way of Okaloosa & Walton Counties will partner with Destin Walmart in an effort to provide needed school supplies to local children for the upcoming school year.
Shop from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. July 26 and Aug. 9 and drop school supplies off at the van in the parking lot.
On sale now
Copies of the book, “Poems for the Young at Heart,” by Destin’s Lt. Col. (Ret) Samuel Lombardo, are now on sale at Barnes & Noble in Destin. Cost is $19. Lombardo will be scheduling book signings at a later date. To read about the book, visit www.thedestinlog.com/community/destin-poet-inspired-by-natural-beauty-1.332509.
The Destin Harbor Farmers’ Market will be open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays at 314 Harbor Blvd. Items include farm fresh produce, baked goods, Greek, Mediterranean, Indian, Italian and Mexican food, organic dog treats and more. Call 499-4697.
Duplicate Bridge, ACBL, will be held at 9:50 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Thursday at St. Andrews Episcopal Church, 307 Harbor Blvd. in Destin. Cost is $5. No partner necessary. For more information e-mail email@example.com
Summer Food Service Program
Free nutritionally balanced breakfasts and lunches will be provided to all children 18 and younger regardless of race, color, sex, disability, age or national origin during summer vacation. Hours are 7:30-8:30 a.m. and 11 a.m. to noon at Destin Elementary School and 8-8:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. at the Destin Family YMCA through Aug. 8.
Alzheimer’s support group
Alzheimer’s Family Services will hold a support group for family members or friends coping with a loved one with Alzheimer’s disease at 2 p.m. July 29 at Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast, Suite 3 Conference Room, in Miramar Beach. The support group is free and limited respite care is available. To make arrangements for respite, call 866-478-7790.
Margaret R. McDowell, firm founder of Arbor Wealth Management, LLC, a “fee-only” registered investment advisory firm, will host “Are Markets Overvalued? Uncovering Investment Opportunities” at 10 a.m. July 30 in the Arbor Wealth Conference Room. Call 608-6121 to reserve seating. Refreshments will be served.
Big Truck Day
The City of Destin’s 16th Annual Big Truck Day will be held from 9-11 a.m. Aug. 7 in the Destin Community Center parking. Event is free for children of all ages.
The Destin Area Chamber of Commerce and sponsor The Destin Log will host a forum for candidates for the Okaloosa County Board of Commissioners from 5:30-7:30 p.m. Aug. 7 in the City Council Chambers in the Destin City Hall Annex.
Candidates will make an opening and closing statement and answer five questions from the Chamber and The Log. As time allows, questions will be accepted from the audience. To submit a question, email to The Log editor Matt Algarin at firstname.lastname@example.org. There will also be an opportunity to submit questions in writing before the forum begins. Call 837-6241.
The merchants of Downtown Fort Walton Beach will hold a Farmer’s Market from 8 a.m. to noon Aug. 9 in downtown Fort Walton Beach, 201 S.E. Miracle Strip Parkway in the grassy area behind Burrito Del Sol and Bella Day Spa & Hair Studio.
Summer Splash Day
The City of Destin will host its annual Summer Splash Day for ages 5-12 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Aug. 15. There will be slip’n slides, a monster wave slide and a bounce house that includes an obstacle course and slide. Lunch and afternoon snack are provided. Fee is $30/residents and $40/non-residents.
Bird/rare plant walk
Rare Plant biologist Tom Greene will lead a tour Aug. 30 of wet prairies of Point Washington State Forest, which harbors a multitude of carnivorous plants, and possibly Bachmann’s Sparrow. Bring water, insect repellent, long pants and shoes or boots that can take wet conditions. Meet at the eastern end of the Sandestin Walmart parking lot at 8:15 a.m. Call 694-6403.
Abuse of addictive pharmaceutical drugs is on the rise. Learn to recognize the signs of drug abuse and get your loved ones help if they are at risk. Call Narconon for a free brochure on the signs of addiction for all types of drugs. Narconon also offers free assessments and referrals. Call 800-431-1754 or email DrugAbuseSolution.com.
Destin Community Center
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Adult Open Gym: Monday from 6-9 p.m. for 17 and up to play full-court pickup basketball games. Destin residents are free and non-residents are $2.
• Brazilian Martial Arts: A Capoeira class that combines the elements of dance, acrobatics and music from 7-9 p.m. Thursday.
• Chair Yoga: Monday and Thursday at 10 a.m. Cost is $4.
• Duplicate bridge: Monday and Thursday at 9:15 a.m. and Wednesdays at 12:30. Entry fee: $6. No partner needed.
• Intermediate party bridge: Monday and Tuesday at 12:45 p.m. at Buck Destin Park on Legion Drive. Call 837-1967. Cost $2.
• Kidz Klub: After-school program from 3:30-5:30 p.m. Monday-Friday for grades K-4. Snacks provided.
• Line dancing: Beginners class begins at 12:30 p.m. Thursday, open dance at 1:15 and intermediate dancers at 1:30. Fee is $5.
• Low Impact Aerobics: Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 9:15 a.m. Cost is $3/session.
• MMA Fitness: Tuesday and Thursday from 6-7 p.m. for all ages. Cost is $7/person. Grappling bags and gloves provided.
• Pickleball: All levels, including first timers, welcome. Cost is $2/resident and $3/non-resident.
• Shotokan Karate: Class promotes life enrichment, physical fitness, discipline, focus and self-defense at 6 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Fee is $65/month.
• Table tennis: Competition from 2:30-5 p.m. Tuesdays and 9 a.m. to noon Thursdays.
• Turbo kick: Fitness class at 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays. Fee is $10.
• Walking Club: Monday-Friday from 8-9 a.m. Walk with music.
• Woodcarving: Fridays at 9 a.m. Fee is $2.
• Yoga: Bring a mat and towel at noon Thursdays. Cost is $6.
• Zumba gold: Mondays and Thursdays at 11 a.m. Cost is $6.