Community Happenings Aug. 13
All area codes are 850 unless noted.
Oyster Reef Construction
Unload bagged oyster shell and help to place the bagged shell in the water at a reef site from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Aug. 14 at Marina Cove Townhomes in Niceville. Wear clothes and close-toed shoes you don’t mind getting dirty. Bring sunscreen, snacks, a water bottle and a hat. Water and gloves will be provided. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summer Splash Day
The City of Destin annual Summer Splash Day has been cancelled.
Grand Boulevard Farmers’ Market
The market will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturdays beginning Aug. 16 in Grand Park in Miramar Beach between Cantina Laredo and Tommy Bahama’s.Vendors will offer locally sourced food-based items including produce, eggs, milk, butter, grass-fed beef, chicken, lamb, and pork, honey, pickled vegetables and gourmet jams.
Mellow Mushroom anniversary
Mellow Mushroom Pizza Bakers will bring back selections from its original 1974 menu on Aug. 20th in a “Way Back Wednesday” celebration to mark the brand’s 40th anniversary. The menu selections will be 30 cents for Coke products, 75 cents for Michelob, Budweiser or PBR and $2.50 for a small cheese pizza.
Making Strides kickoff
The American Cancer Society will host a Making Strides Against Breast Cancer kickoff rally and informational meeting at 6 p.m. Aug. 21 at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in Fort Walton Beach. Walk takes place Oct. 18 at Uptown Station. To participate in the kickoff, call 585-9904or email email@example.com.
On sale now
Copies of the book, “Poems for the Young at Heart,” by Destin’s Lt. Col. (Ret) Samuel Lombardo, are now on sale at Barnes & Noble in Destin. Cost is $19. Lombardo will be scheduling book signings at a later date. To read about the book, visit www.thedestinlog.com/community/destin-poet-inspired-by-natural-beauty-1.332509.
Duplicate Bridge, ACBL, will be held at 9:50 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Thursday at St. Andrews Episcopal Church, 307 Harbor Blvd. in Destin. Cost is $5. No partner necessary. For more information e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Alzheimer’s support group
Covenant Alzheimer’s Services will hold a support group for family members or friends coping with a loved one with Alzheimer’s disease at 2 p.m. Aug. 26 at Sacred Heart of the Emerald Coast, Suite 3 Conference Room. Call 866-478-7790.
A workshop to assist students in Okaloosa County High Schools who will take the Sept. 13 ACT and Oct. 11 SAT will be held from 2:15-4:15 p.m. Sept. 8, 9, 10, 15 and 16 in the Media Center at Fort Walton Beach High School. All materials, snacks and drinks are furnished. Students need to bring calculators. Registration deadline is Aug. 21. For information, contact Alice Hart at 615-585-2401, email Amhart1966@aol.com or contact your high school guidance department.
Bird/rare plant walk
Rare Plant biologist Tom Greene will lead a tour Aug. 30 of wet prairies of Point Washington State Forest, which harbors a multitude of carnivorous plants, and possibly Bachmann’s Sparrow. Bring water, insect repellent, long pants and shoes or boots that can take wet conditions. Meet at the eastern end of the Sandestin Walmart parking lot at 8:15 a.m. Call 694-6403.
Abuse of addictive pharmaceutical drugs is on the rise. Learn to recognize the signs of drug abuse and get your loved ones help if they are at risk. Call Narconon for a free brochure on the signs of addiction for all types of drugs. Narconon also offers free assessments and referrals. Call 800-431-1754 or email DrugAbuseSolution.com.
Destin Community Center
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Adult Open Gym: Monday from 6-9 p.m. for 17 and up to play full-court pickup basketball games. Destin residents are free and non-residents are $2.
• Brazilian Martial Arts: A Capoeira class that combines the elements of dance, acrobatics and music from 7-9 p.m. Thursday.
• Chair Yoga: Monday and Thursday at 10 a.m. Cost is $4.
• Duplicate bridge: Monday and Thursday at 9:15 a.m. and Wednesdays at 12:30. Entry fee: $6. No partner needed.
• Intermediate party bridge: Monday and Tuesday at 12:45 p.m. at Buck Destin Park on Legion Drive. Call 837-1967. Cost $2.
• Kidz Klub: After-school program from 3:30-5:30 p.m. Monday-Friday for grades K-4. Snacks provided.
• Line dancing: Beginners class begins at 12:30 p.m. Thursday, open dance at 1:15 and intermediate dancers at 1:30. Fee is $5.
• Low Impact Aerobics: Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 9:15 a.m. Cost is $3/session.
• MMA Fitness: Tuesday and Thursday from 6-7 p.m. for all ages. Cost is $7/person. Grappling bags and gloves provided.
• Pickleball: All levels, including first timers, welcome. Cost is $2/resident and $3/non-resident.
• Shotokan Karate: Class promotes life enrichment, physical fitness, discipline, focus and self-defense at 6 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Fee is $65/month.
• Table tennis: Competition from 2:30-5 p.m. Tuesdays and 9 a.m. to noon Thursdays.
• Turbo kick: Fitness class at 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays. Fee is $10.
• Walking Club: Monday-Friday from 8-9 a.m. Walk with music.
• Woodcarving: Fridays at 9 a.m. Fee is $2.
• Yoga: Bring a mat and towel at noon Thursdays. Cost is $6.
• Zumba gold: Mondays and Thursdays at 11 a.m. Cost is $6.