Community Happenings Dec. 3
All area codes are 850 unless noted.
Dickens and ‘A Christmas Carol’
Destin United Methodist Church, 200 Beach Drive, hosts author/speaker Rich Adams at 5 p.m. Dec. 7. The event is free with a suggested donation to benefit Others of Destin Inc. Adams, author of Eben Kruge: How “A Christmas Carol” Came to be Written … a Story About Charles Dickens,” will present a 45-minute program weaving together well-known and little known facts about Dickens, Call 837-2021.
Coping with the Holidays
The Covenant Hospice Bereavement Department will provide a free workshop on coping strategies for the holidays from 10 a.m. to noon Dec. 9 at the Covenant Hospice branch office, 220 Eglin Parkway NE in Fort Walton Beach. Light refreshments will be served. This free workshop is open to the public but reservations are required at 729-1800.
The Choctawhatchee Audubon Society will have its annual Members Christmas Party Dec. 13 at the home of Kay and Gary Parsons in Niceville. There will be a silent auction with birding themed items and a covered dish dinner, BYOB. Make reservations and get directions at 678-1461.
Christmas Bird Count
The Choctawhatchee Audubon Society Christmas Bird Count will be held Dec. 15. Positions are available for spotters and recorders. No experience is necessary, but be prepared to start early on this day-long event. Call 208-1780.
Alzheimer’s support group
Covenant Alzheimer’s Services will hold a free support group for family members or friends coping with a loved one with Alzheimer’s disease at 2 p.m. Dec. 30 at Sacred Heart of the Emerald Coast, Suite 3 Conference Room. Call 866-478-7790. Meets last Tuesday of every month.
Grand Boulevard Farmers’ Market
The market will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturdays in Grand Park in Miramar Beach between Cantina Laredo and Tommy Bahama’s.Vendors will offer locally sourced food-based items including produce, eggs, milk, butter, grass-fed beef, chicken, lamb, and pork, honey, pickled vegetables and gourmet jams.
Duplicate Bridge, ACBL, will be held at 9:50 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Thursday at St. Andrews Episcopal Church, 307 Harbor Blvd. in Destin. Cost is $5. No partner necessary. For more information e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Destin Life Center
Recreation and fitness activities at Destin Life Center at Destin United Methodist Church, 200 Beach Drive, include the following. Hours are 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Closed Sunday. From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday visit the Soul Café for lunch. Call ahead for dine in or pick up. For information, call the DLC at 837-2021.
• Adult Open Soccer: From 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays. Fee is $2/player.
• Adult Open Volleyball: From 6-9 p.m. Tuesdays. Fee is $2/player.
• Indoor Soccer Clinic w/Coach Carlos: Elementary, 3-4 p.m., and Middle School, 4-5:30 p.m. Thursdays. Fee is $90/child for 6 week session.
• Indoor Soccer League (Youth): Register for elementary and middle school ages to begin in January. Practice will begin Dec 5 and 11.
• Pickleball: For all skill levels from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 Tuesday through Friday and 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday.
• Youth Basketball: Gym Rats with Coach Susie meets from 4-5 p.m. for ages 5 to 9 and 5-6 p.m. for ages 10 to 12 Fridays.
• Travelers’ Walking Club: Walk indoors for fitness, fellowship and fun from 7-8 a.m. Monday through Friday. 17 laps = 1 mile.
• DLC Fitness Cardio/Weight Room: Nautilus equipment, three treadmills, two ellipticals and one recumbent bike. Memberships are $40/calendar quarter; $30/month; $20/week; and $10/day.
• Community Fitness Classes: Indoor cycling, Zumba, Rise and Stretch, PIYO, Cardio Dance, Forever Young (senior aerobics) and more. Costs are $40/month; $7/class; $20/month Forever Young, fitness for seniors; and $3/individual Forever Young.
Destin Community Center
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Game Room: Open to children age 10 and older from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• Low impact aerobics: From 9-10 a.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Cost is $3/session. Bring water and a towel.
• Pickleball: Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 a.m. for all levels. Cost is $2/resident and $3/non-resident.
• Zumba Gold: Thursdays at 11 a.m. Cost is $6/class.