Community Happenings Dec. 20
All area codes are 850 unless noted.
Chanukah Celebration and Menorah Lighting
Special seasonal music, glistening decorations, a memorable menorah lighting, facepainting and fun crafts for children begins at 4 p.m. Dec. 21 at HarborWalk Village. Call 424-3304 or visit chabademeraldcoast.org.
The WaterColor Coastal Farmers Market will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sundays at Cerulean Park. The Market will have an array of items and holiday goodies to choose from with over 30 participating vendors. Traditional Farmers Market items such as local farm fresh produce, eggs, and dairy products will be available. There will also be a large variety of organic and homemade items such as Greek gourmet foods, hot and jerk sauces, grass fed beef, chicken, and pork. The WCFM will also include crafts and holiday gift baskets along with blown glass art and pottery.
Sacred Heart Hospital
Bi-weekly joint replacement education classes begin at 9 a.m. Dec. 22 in the hospital’s Resource Center Suite 3 conference room. To attend, call Linda Ledford at 278-3646.
Egg Nog Party, a time for Christmas greetings and exchanges between members and all friends of Post 296, begins at 2 p.m. Dec. 24 at American Legion Post 296, 311 Main Street in Destin. Call 837-3818 or visit americanlegiondestin.com. Events are open to the public.
Alzheimer’s support group
Covenant Alzheimer’s Services will hold a free support group for family members or friends coping with a loved one with Alzheimer’s disease at 2 p.m. Dec. 30 at Sacred Heart of the Emerald Coast, Suite 3 Conference Room. Call 866-478-7790. Meets last Tuesday of every month.
A workshop to assist students in Okaloosa County High Schools who will take the Feb. 7 ACT and Jan 24 and March 14 SAT will be held from 2-5 p.m. Jan. 20-21 and 26-27 at Niceville High School and 2-5 p.m. Jan. 22-23 and 28-29 in the Media Center at Fort Walton Beach High School. All materials, snacks and drinks are furnished. Students need to bring calculators. Registration deadline is Jan. 5. For information, contact Alice Hart at 615-585-2401, email Amhart1966@aol.com or contact your high school guidance department.
Choctawhatchee Audubon Society
Bird walk on the shorelines of Niceville and Valparaiso Jan. 24 with bird photographer and photopaddler, Walt Spence, and see mergansers, loons, grebes, and buffleheads. Bring cameras and binoculars. Meet at 7:30 a.m. in front of Badcock Furniture in Bayou Plaza Shopping Center at the intersection of John Sims Parkway and Hwy. 85 South. Call 582-7064.
Members of Okaloosa County state legislative delegation will hold a public hearing from 5:30-7 p.m. Jan. 26 at The Emerald Cost Association of Realtors, 10 Hollywood Blvd. NE in Fort Walton Beach. Public comments will be heard on proposals for the 2015 Regular Session of the Florida Legislature. If you would like to be placed on the agenda or submit handouts, call 833-9328 or email Amanda.Neeld@myfloridahouse.govbefore 5 p.m. Jan. 21.
Grand Boulevard Farmers’ Market
The market will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturdays in Grand Park in Miramar Beach between Cantina Laredo and Tommy Bahama’s.Vendors will offer locally sourced food-based items including produce, eggs, milk, butter, grass-fed beef, chicken, lamb, and pork, honey, pickled vegetables and gourmet jams.
Duplicate Bridge, ACBL, will be held at 9:50 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Thursday at St. Andrews Episcopal Church, 307 Harbor Blvd. in Destin. Cost is $5. No partner necessary. For more information e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Destin Life Center
Recreation and fitness activities at Destin Life Center at Destin United Methodist Church, 200 Beach Drive, include the following. Hours are 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Closed Sunday. From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday visit the Soul Café for lunch. Call ahead for dine in or pick up. For information, call the DLC at 837-2021.
• Adult Open Soccer: From 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays. Fee is $2/player.
• Adult Open Volleyball: From 6-9 p.m. Tuesdays. Fee is $2/player. • Indoor Soccer Clinic w/Coach Carlos: Elementary, 3-4 p.m., and Middle School, 4-5:30 p.m. Thursdays. Fee is $90/child for 6 week session.
• Indoor Soccer League (Youth): Register for elementary and middle school ages to begin in January. Practice will begin Dec 5 and 11.• Pickleball: For all skill levels from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 Tuesday through Friday and 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday.
• Youth Basketball: Gym Rats with Coach Susie meets from 4-5 p.m. for ages 5 to 9 and 5-6 p.m. for ages 10 to 12 Fridays.
• Travelers’ Walking Club: Walk indoors for fitness, fellowship and fun from 7-8 a.m. Monday through Friday. 17 laps = 1 mile.
• DLC Fitness Cardio/Weight Room: Nautilus equipment, three treadmills, two ellipticals and one recumbent bike. Memberships are $40/calendar quarter; $30/month; $20/week; and $10/day.
• Community Fitness Classes: Indoor cycling, Zumba, Rise and Stretch, PIYO, Cardio Dance, Forever Young (senior aerobics) and more. Costs are $40/month; $7/class; $20/month Forever Young, fitness for seniors; and $3/individual Forever Young.
Destin Community Center
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Chair Yoga: Class will be held at 10 a.m. Monday and Thursday beginning Jan. 5. Cost is $4/class.
• Game Room: Open to children age 10 and older from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• Line Dancing: Class for beginners will be at 12:30 p.m. Thursdays beginning Jan. 8. Intermediate lessons are held at 1:30. Open dance is from 1:15-1:30 p.m. The class is $6.
• Low impact aerobics: From 9-10 a.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Cost is $3/session. Bring water and a towel.
• Pickleball: Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 a.m. for all levels. Cost is $2/resident and $3/non-resident.
• Senior Pilates: Class will be h eld from 9-10 a.m. Mondays beginning Jan. 5. Cost is $6/class.
• Table Tennis: Tuesdays from 2-5 p.m. and Thursdays from 8-11 a.m.
• Yoga: Class will be held Thursdays at noon beginning Jan. 8. Open to all yoga enthusiasts of any level. Cost is $6/class. Please bring a mat and towel.
• Zumba Gold: Thursdays at 11 a.m. Cost is $6/class.