Community Happenings March 4
All area codes are 850 unless noted.
The Destin Library will host Early Release School Day Movies from 1:15-3:15 p.m. March 5 and April 2, aimed at those in grades 3-5. The program is designed to connect popular children’s movies with available themed reading materials on the same topic or genre at the library. Movie selections will be announced prior to the scheduled movie date. Pre-registration is required at email@example.com. Refreshments will be provided.
The Knights of Columbus Emerald Coast Council will have a Fish Fry Dinner from 4-7 p.m. March 6 at Corpus Christi Catholic Church, 307 Beach Drive in Destin. Adults, $10/plate; children, $4. All proceeds go to local charities and community service programs in the Destin area.
See exhibits of products and services for your home, attend seminars by industry professionals and enjoy activities for the whole family from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. March 7 and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. March 8 at the Emerald Coast Convention Center. Tickets on sale at all Eglin Federal Credit Union Branch locations. Tickets are $2 in advance or $5 at the door.
Cash 4 College
Northwest Florida State College will hold its sixth annual Cash 4 College financial aid workshop from 9 a.m. to noon March 7 in the Student Services Center on the Niceville campus to help students and parents complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). For students under age 24, all information items (driver’s license, Social Security numbers, 2014 tax return and W-2 forms, and any untaxed income information, ch as child support or Social Security,are needed for both the student and parent, and both student and parent must be present. Call 729-5370or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monthly meeting and program “Pollinators in Peril” by Marie Harrison at 6:30 p.m. March 5 in Room 130 of the new Student Services Building at Northwest Florida State College. Call 678-1461for more information.
• March 14: Join Malcom Mark Swan for a birding trip on the Eglin Reservation. Meet at 7:30 a.m. at Winn Dixie on Hwy. 20 in Bluewater Bay. Wear long pants and bring water, hat, binoculars, and insect repellent. Call 210-343-9082.
• March 21: Local birder Dee Nickerson will lead a bird walk in the South Walton Courthouse area. Expect to see early migrants and possibly a Northern Parula. Plan to have brunch after. Meet at 7:30 a.m. at the Winn Dixie on Hwy 20 in Bluewater Bay at 7:30 AM. Call 499-9269.
• March 28: Birding the Bayou by Boat: Local photopaddler Walt Spence will lead a canoe/kayak birding trip on a Niceville-area bayou. All attendees must register in advance at 582-7064, and they must also bring their own boat, safety equipment, drinking water, and sunscreen. Meet at 7:30 a.m. in front of Badcock Furniture in Bayou Plaza on Hwy. 20 in Niceville.
Every Thursday, Starbucks at HarborWalk Village will host StoryHour@Starbucks at 3:30 p.m. There will be hot chocolate available for the kids, and all parents get 20 percent off their purchase.
The Comptrollers for a Cause Team will host a Relay for Life Fundraiser, Eat at Joe’s to Benefit the Cause, from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. every Thursday in March at Joe’s Crab Shack in Destin.. For a copy of flyer to be presented or questions about the event, call 687-3226.
SacredHeart Hospital on the Emerald Coast will host the Oneblood mobile unit from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. March 11. All donors will receive a free T-shirt and a meal ticket to the hospital’s café. Oneblood will also provide a free wellness check for all blood donors, including blood pressure, temperature, iron count and cholesterol screening.
Business Expo, Taste of Okaloosa County
For the eighth year, the Destin Area, Greater Fort Walton Beach, and Niceville Valparaiso chambers of commerce will partner for the Multi-Chamber Business Expo & Taste of Okaloosa County from 4-7 p.m. March 12 at the Emerald Coast Convention Center. The event is free and open to the public.
A workshop to assist students in Okaloosa County High Schools who will take the April 18 ACT and May 2 SAT will be held from 2-5 p.m. April 13, 14, 20 and 21 at Fort Walton Beach High School and 2-5 p.m. April 15, 16, 22 and 23 at Niceville High School. All materials, snacks and drinks are furnished. Students need to bring calculators. Registration deadline is March 24. For information, contact Alice Hart at 615-585-2401, email Amhart1966@aol.com or contact your high school guidance department.
Stroke support group
A free stroke support group will meet at 3 p.m. March 16 in the Suite 3 conference room at Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast for stroke survivors, caregivers and family members.
“Nine Answers to Annuity Myths” is topic of Financial Matters Seminar at 10 a.m. March 16 in The Family Birth Place, second-floor Education Room, at Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast in Miramar Beach. Make reservations at 416-1620 or 877-416-1620.
Breast cancer support group
Patients and survivors are invited to join group that will meet at 6 p.m. March 17 in the Olson Women’s Diagnostic Center at Sacred Heart on the Emerald Coast. Call 278-3980.
Healthy Living Seminar
The seminar will feature Adrianne Butcher, pharmacist at Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast, who will discuss medication safety questions and concerns at 10 a.m. March 25 in the Suite 3 Conference Room. Call 416-1620 or 877-416-1620 to register.
Jenny Stuckey, registered nurse and certified diabetes educator, and Anne Townley, registered dietician and certified diabetes educator, will host a self-management class from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. March 25 in the Resource Center Suite 1 education building at Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast. Pre-registration required and a physician referral is needed to attend. Call 278-3683.
Alzheimer’s Support Group
The Covenant Alzheimer’s Support Group meets from 2-3:30 p.m. March 31 in the Suite 3 Education Center at Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast. Call 499-3390. Meets last Tuesday of each month.
Grand Boulevard Farmers’ Market
The market will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday in Grand Park in Miramar Beach between Cantina Laredo and Tommy Bahama’s.Vendors will offer locally sourced food-based items including produce, eggs, milk, butter, grass-fed beef, chicken, lamb, and pork, honey, pickled vegetables and gourmet jams. Market is held on Wednesdays from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
The WaterColor Coastal Farmers Market will be held from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. every Sunday at Cerulean Park. Traditional Farmers Market items such as local farm fresh produce, eggs, and dairy products will be available. There will also be a large variety of organic and homemade items such as Greek gourmet foods, hot and jerk sauces, grass fed beef, chicken, and pork. Market is held on Thursdays from March 12 through Labor Day.
30A Farmers’ Market
This community event from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sundays in Town Center in Rosemary Beach features fresh vegetables, fruits, eggs, honey, cheese and more. Market is held on Thursdays from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
Get your pick of fresh produce, baked goods, dairy products, native plants and other unique offerings Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Amphitheatre behind Raw & Juicy. Enjoy special cooking demos and activities.
Duplicate Bridge, ACBL, will be held at 9:50 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Thursday at St. Andrews Episcopal Church, 307 Harbor Blvd. in Destin. Cost is $7. No partner necessary. For more information e-mail email@example.com
Destin Life Center
Recreation and fitness activities at Destin Life Center at Destin United Methodist Church, 200 Beach Drive, include the following. Hours are 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Closed Sunday. From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday visit the Soul Café for lunch. Call ahead for dine in or pick up. For information, call the DLC at 837-2021.
• Adult Open Soccer: From 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays. Fee is $2/player.
• Adult Open Volleyball: From 6-9 p.m. Tuesdays. Fee is $2/player. • Indoor Soccer Clinic w/Coach Carlos: Elementary, 3-4 p.m., and Middle School, 4-5:30 p.m. Thursdays. Fee is $90/child for 6 week session.
• Pickleball: From 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Tuesday-Friday and 9 a.m. to noon Saturday.
• Travelers’ Walking Club: Walk indoors for fitness, fellowship and fun from 7-8 a.m. Monday through Friday. 17 laps = 1 mile.
• DLC Fitness Cardio/Weight Room: Nautilus equipment, three treadmills, two ellipticals and one recumbent bike. Memberships are $40/calendar quarter; $30/month; $20/week; and $10/day.
• Community Fitness Classes: Indoor cycling, Zumba, Rise and Stretch, PIYO, Cardio Dance, Forever Young (senior aerobics) and more. Costs are $40/month; $7/class; $20/month Forever Young, fitness for seniors; and $3/individual Forever Young.
Destin Community Center
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Chair Yoga: Class will be held at 10 a.m. Monday and Thursday. Cost is $4/class.
• Essential Oils: A free class at 10 a.m. Feb. 18 and March 4 and 18 for those who desire a more natural route to promote heart health and to manage pain anywhere, from a mosquito bite to arthritis.
• Game Room: Open to children age 10 and older from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• Line Dancing: Class for beginners will be at 12:30 p.m. Thursdays. Intermediate lessons are held at 1:30. Open dance is from 1:15-1:30 p.m. The class is $6.
• Low impact aerobics: From 9-10 a.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Cost is $3/session. Bring water and a towel. Stretch bands are available for $2.
• Pickleball: Mondays from 12:30-3:30 p.m. and Wednesdays and Fridays from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. for all levels. Cost is $2/resident and $3/non-resident.
• Senior Pilates: Class will be held from 9-10 a.m. Mondays. Cost is $6/class.
• Table Tennis: Tuesdays from 2-5 p.m. and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to noon.
• Woodcarving: Class for men and women meets from 9 a.m. to noon Fridays. Cost is $2/class.
• Yoga: Class will be held Thursdays at noon. Open to all yoga enthusiasts of any level. Cost is $6/class. Please bring a mat and towel.
• Zumba Gold: Mondays and Thursdays at 11 a.m. Cost is $6/class.