Community Happenings Sept. 2
All area codes are 850 unless noted.
Bass Pro Shops throwback event to bid summer goodbye will be held from 12-5 p.m. Sept. 5 and 6 at Bass Pro Shops. Hometown Festival family activities include free games, craft, prizes, face painting, and food samples.
Destin United Methodist Women will hold their Seventh Annual Fall Flair Arts & Crafts show from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sept. 11 and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sept. 12 at Destin United Methodist Church Life Center, 200 Beach Drive. Proceeds go to church missions.
Hollyday 5K Fun Run
The Sixth Annual "Hollyday" 5K Fun Run begins at 7:30 a.m. Sept. 12 at the Cabana Cafe in Seascape Resort. Early registration is available at www.active.com. Registration will also be available the day of the race. Proceeds will benefit Shred Out Cancer, a non-profit organization in memory of Holly Burke. Door prizes will be raffled, and participants will receive T-shirts and goodie bags. Call 225-1648.
Cardiovascular Disease Screenings
Okaloosa Heart & Vascular Center will hold cardiovascular screenings from 8 a.m. to noon Sept. 12, Oct. 10 and Oct. 24 at 36468 Emerald Coast Parkway, Suite 10. The screenings will include Carotid Artery Ultrasound, Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Ultrasound and Peripheral Arterial Ultrasound. Screenings are $75 each or $225 for all three. Refreshments will be served. To schedule an appointment, call 424-5638.
Bereavement Support Group
Share and learn more about the grief journey you are enduring with an Emerald Coast Hospice bereavement group at 1:30 p.m. Wednesdays at the Destin Library. Groups are free and ongoing.
The Ocean Conservancy’s International Coastal Clean-Up is Sept. 19 and volunteers are needed from 8-10 a.m. at Norriego Point. Wear closed-toed shoes, weather appropriate clothing, and bring gloves. Additional supplies will be provided to volunteers upon arrival to the site, so please arrive early.
Local birder Lenny Fenimore will lead a bird walk at Swift Creek and Niceville Sprayfields Sept. 19. Meet at 7:30 a.m. at 304 Piney Creek Cove in Swift Creek, Niceville. Wear good walking/hiking shoes and bring binoculars, water, bugspray, long pants and a hat. Call 863-2039.
• Sept. 26: Malcom Swan will lead a bird walk to the Fort Walton Holding Ponds and Okaloosa Landfill to see shorebirds, ducks, wading birds, raptors, and possibly early fall migrants. Bring binoculars, water, and insect repellent, and wear long pants, good walking shoes, and a hat. Meet at 7:30 a.m. at Pepitos Restaurant, 1313 Lewis Turner Blvd. in Fort Walton Beach. Call 210-343-9082.
Arm Wrestling Championship
American Legion Post 296 in Destin will host the 2015 Florida Panhandle Arm Wrestling Championship beginning at noon Sept. 19 at 311 Main Street in Destin. Early weigh-ins are Friday from 7-10 p.m. and Saturday from 9-11 a.m. Weight class pounds are 154, 165, 187, 198, 220 and 220+. For more information, call 424-7954, 533-0644 or 865-9330.
Dulcie Scalf, stained-glass artist, will be the speaker at the ADSO Luncheon at 11:30 a.m. Sept. 23 at the Art Center Gallery, 17 First Street in Fort Walton Beach. The luncheon is open to the public. Cost is $12. Reservations must be made no later than Sept. 21; cost after that date is $15. Please send reservation request to email@example.com or call 376-3901.
Steak & Stake fundraiser
Daniel “Rudy” Ruettiger will speak at the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Emerald Coast’s Second Annual Steak & Stake Dinner Sept. 24 at the Hilton Sandestin Golf & Beach Resort. For information, visit http://emeraldcoastbgc.org/events/.
Alzheimer’s Support Group
The Covenant Alzheimer’s Support Group meets from 2-3:30 p.m. Sept. 29 in the Suite 3 Education Center at Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast. Meets last Tuesday of month. Call 499-3390.
Connecting Kids inaugural Cornhole Tournament
Connecting Kids, Inc., an organization serving children of all abilities in the community, will host its first Cornhole Tournament Oct. 10 at the Mullet Festival Grounds in Niceville. Check in begins at 9 a.m. Bring chairs and enjoy a day of amateur cornhole, food, snow cones and activities for the kids. Registration fee is $40 per two person team. Deadline to enter is Oct. 3. Visit www.connectingkids.net.
A workshop to assist students in Okaloosa County High Schools who will take the Oct. 24 ACT and Nov. 7 SAT will be held from 2-5 p.m. Oct. 19, 20, 26 and 27 at Fort Walton Beach High School and 2-5 p.m. Oct. 21, 21, 28 and 29 at Niceville High School. All materials, snacks and drinks are furnished. Students need to bring calculators. Registration deadline is Oct. 5. For information, contact Alice Hart at 615-585-2401, email Amhart1966@aol.com or contact your high school guidance department.
Grand Boulevard Farmers’ Market
The market will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday in Grand Park in Miramar Beach between Cantina Laredo and Tommy Bahama’s. Vendors will offer locally sourced food-based items including produce, eggs, milk, butter, grass-fed beef, chicken, lamb, and pork, honey, pickled vegetables and gourmet jams. Market is held on Wednesdays from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
The WaterColor Coastal Farmers Market will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Sunday at Cerulean Park. Traditional Farmers Market items such as local farm fresh produce, eggs, and dairy products will be available. There will also be a large variety of organic and homemade items such as Greek gourmet foods, hot and jerk sauces, grass fed beef, chicken, and pork. Market is held on Thursdays from March 12 through Labor Day.
30A Farmers’ Market
This community event from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sundays in Town Center in Rosemary Beach features fresh vegetables, fruits, eggs, honey, cheese and more. Market is held on Thursdays from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
Seaside Farmers Market
Get your pick of fresh produce, baked goods, dairy products, native plants and other unique offerings Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Amphitheatre behind Raw & Juicy. Enjoy special cooking demos and activities.
Duplicate Bridge, ACBL, will be held at 9:50 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Thursday at St. Andrews Episcopal Church, 307 Harbor Blvd. in Destin. Cost is $7. No partner necessary. For more information e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Destin Life Center
Recreation and fitness activities at Destin Life Center at Destin United Methodist Church, 200 Beach Drive, include the following. Hours are 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Closed Sunday. From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday visit the Soul Café for lunch. Call ahead for dine in or pick up. For information, call the DLC at 837-2021.
• Adult Open Soccer: From 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays. Fee is $2/player.
• Adult Open Volleyball: From 6-9 p.m. Tuesdays. Fee is $2/player.
• Pickleball: From 2-5 p.m. Monday-Friday and 9 a.m. to noon Saturday.
• DLC Fitness Cardio/Weight Room: Nautilus equipment, three treadmills, two ellipticals and one recumbent bike. Memberships are $40/calendar quarter; $30/month; $20/week; and $10/day.
• Community Fitness Classes: Indoor cycling, Zumba, Rise and Stretch, PIYO, Cardio Dance, Forever Young (senior aerobics) and more. Costs are $40/month; $7/class; $20/month Forever Young, fitness for seniors; and $3/individual Forever Young.
Destin Community Center
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 or email email@example.com for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Chair Yoga: Class will be held at 10 a.m. Monday and Thursday. Cost is $4/class.
• Game Room: Open to children age 10 and older from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• Line Dancing: Class for beginners will be at 12:30 p.m. Thursdays. Intermediate lessons are held at 1:30. Open dance is from 1:15-1:30 p.m. The class is $6.
• Senior Pilates: Class will be held from 9-10 a.m. Mondays. Cost is $6/class.
• Table Tennis: Tuesdays from 2-5 p.m. and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to noon.
• Yoga: Class will be held Thursdays at noon. Open to all yoga enthusiasts of any level. Cost is $6/class. Please bring a mat and towel.
• Zumba Gold: Mondays and Thursdays at 11 a.m. Cost is $6/class.