Community Happenings Sept. 19
All area codes are 850 unless noted.
The Ocean Conservancy’s International Coastal Clean-Up is Sept. 19 and volunteers are needed from 8-10 a.m. at Norriego Point. Wear closed-toed shoes, weather appropriate clothing, and bring gloves. Additional supplies will be provided to volunteers upon arrival to the site, so please arrive early.
Local birder Lenny Fenimore will lead a bird walk at Swift Creek and Niceville Sprayfields Sept. 19. Meet at 7:30 a.m. at 304 Piney Creek Cove in Swift Creek, Niceville. Wear good walking/hiking shoes and bring binoculars, water, bugspray, long pants and a hat. Call 863-2039.
• Sept. 26: Malcolm Swan will lead a bird walk to the Fort Walton Holding Ponds and Okaloosa Landfill to see shorebirds, ducks, wading birds, raptors, and possibly early fall migrants. Bring binoculars, water, and insect repellent, and wear long pants, good walking shoes, and a hat. Meet at 7:30 a.m. at Pepitos Restaurant, 1313 Lewis Turner Blvd. in Fort Walton Beach. Call 210-343-9082.
• Oct. 3: Join local ornithologist Alan Knothe for an adventure-packed day of birding to Ft. Pickens and Gulf islands National Seashore. See shorebirds, fall migrants, and wading birds. Bring water, long pants, hat, good walking shoes, and binoculars. Meet at either Uptown Station at 7 a.m. or at Langdon Battery at 8:15 a.m. Call 208-1780 for more information.
• Oct. 10: The Audubon Society has a booth at the Explore the Outdoors Festival at Live Oaks lands in Freeport beginning at 10 a.m. We’ll be using games to help children learn to identify birds, and will also offer hands-on instruction in the use of binoculars and spotting scopes. Audubon members who would like to volunteer to help should bring water, insect repellent, and a lawn chair. Call 678-6665 to volunteer to help. No admission fee is required.
• Oct. 17: Veteran birder Lenny Fenimore will lead a bird walk on the shores of various bayous in the Twin Cities area looking for ducks, raptors, and shorebirds. Wear closed-toe shoes and a hat, and bring binoculars or cameras if desired. Call 863-3039 for more information.
Gail Pallotta will sign copies of her books, "Stopped Cold" and "Mountain of Love and Danger," Sept. 19 at Pino Gelato in Silver Sands Premium Outlets.
Arm Wrestling Championship
American Legion Post 296 in Destin will host the 2015 Florida Panhandle Arm Wrestling Championship beginning at noon Sept. 19 at 311 Main Street in Destin. Early weigh-ins are Friday from 7-10 p.m. and Saturday from 9-11 a.m. Weight class pounds are 154, 165, 187, 198, 220 and 220+. For more information, call 424-7954, 533-0644 or 865-9330.
Local author Linda Sealy Knowles will have a book signing from 1-4 p.m. Sept. 19 at Barnes & Noble, 34904 Emerald Coast Parkway in Destin. She will be signing her latest book “The Secret."
Executive Chef Camille Withall, of George’s at Alys Beach, will prepare a special in-store cooking demo at 6 p.m. Sept. 21 at Le Creuset in Silver Sands Premium Outlets, near Coach and Sunglass Hut. Event is free but RSVP at Le Creuset at 654-5900.
Financial Matters Seminar
“Wills and Trusts: When, How, and Why?” is the topic of the seminar from 10-11:30 a.m. Sept. 21 in Suite 1 Education Room at Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast in Miramar Beach. Seating is limited. Please make reservation at 416-1620 or 877-416-1620.
During the month of September, Silver Sands Premium Outlets will offer teachers and students a free VIP Coupon Book and the chance to enter to win prize drawings. To receive the free VIP Coupon Book and enter to win, shoppers must present a valid teacher, faculty or student ID at the Information Center between Kate Spade New York and Vera Bradley during September. Call 654-9771 or visit premiumoutlets.com/silversands.
Bereavement Support Group
Share and learn more about the grief journey you are enduring with an Emerald Coast Hospice bereavement group at 1:30 p.m. Wednesdays at the Destin Library. Groups are free and ongoing.
Senior Spirit Seminar
Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast Senior Spirit program will host a free seminar at 10 a.m. Sept. 23 in the hospital’s Resource Center, Suite 3 Conference Room. Dr. Mark Tenholder, board-certified orthopedic surgeon, will speak on MRI-Based Customized Knee Replacement. Call 278-3600 or 877-416-1620 to register.
Dulcie Scalf, stained-glass artist, will be the speaker at the ADSO Luncheon at 11:30 a.m. Sept. 23 at the Art Center Gallery, 17 First Street in Fort Walton Beach. The luncheon is open to the public. Cost is $12. Reservations must be made no later than Sept. 21; cost after that date is $15. Please send reservation request to email@example.com or call 376-3901.
Steak & Stake fundraiser
Daniel “Rudy” Ruettiger will speak at the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Emerald Coast’s Second Annual Steak & Stake Dinner Sept. 24 at the Hilton Sandestin Golf & Beach Resort. For information, visit http://emeraldcoastbgc.org/events/.
Mental Health Seminar
A free seminar about Adult Mental Health First Aid will be held from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sept. 25 at Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast in the Suite 3 Conference Room. The course is free, but pre-registration is required at 319-3828.
Alzheimer’s Support Group
The Covenant Alzheimer’s Support Group meets from 2-3:30 p.m. Sept. 29 in the Suite 3 Education Center at Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast. Meets last Tuesday of month. Call 499-3390.
Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast will host the Oneblood mobile unit from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 30 at the main entrance of the hospital. All donors will receive a free Tervis tumbler and a meal ticket to the hospital’s café.
Cardiovascular Disease Screenings
Okaloosa Heart & Vascular Center will hold cardiovascular screenings from 8 a.m. to noon Oct. 10 and Oct. 24 at 36468 Emerald Coast Parkway, Suite 10. The screenings will include Carotid Artery Ultrasound, Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Ultrasound and Peripheral Arterial Ultrasound. Screenings are $75 each or $225 for all three. Refreshments will be served. To schedule an appointment, call 424-5638.
Connecting Kids Cornhole Tournament
Connecting Kids, Inc., an organization serving children of all abilities in the community, will host its first Cornhole Tournament Oct. 10 at the Mullet Festival Grounds in Niceville. Check in begins at 9 a.m. Bring chairs and enjoy a day of amateur cornhole, food, snow cones and activities for the kids. Registration fee is $40 per two person team. Deadline to enter is Oct. 3. Visit www.connectingkids.net.
Emerald Coast Walk for Apraxia
A non-profit fundraising walk will be held at 9:30 a.m. Oct. 10 at Henderson Beach State Park in Destin to benefit The Childhood Apraxia of Speech Association of North America (CASANA). Childhood Apraxia of Speech (CAS) is a very uncommon, challenging and complicated speech disorder in children that makes it difficult or impossible to accurately produce sounds, syllables and or words despite having a good understanding of language. Activities for the children include a walk, pizza from our sponsor, popcorn from Popcorn Jungle, cake, and raffle prizes donated by local businesses. Registration begins at 8:30 a.m. or visit http://casana.apraxia-kids.org/site/TR?fr_id=1670&pg=entry.
A workshop to assist students in Okaloosa County High Schools who will take the Oct. 24 ACT and Nov. 7 SAT will be held from 2-5 p.m. Oct. 19, 20, 26 and 27 at Fort Walton Beach High School and 2-5 p.m. Oct. 21, 21, 28 and 29 at Niceville High School. All materials, snacks and drinks are furnished. Students need to bring calculators. Registration deadline is Oct. 5. For information, contact Alice Hart at 615-585-2401, email Amhart1966@aol.com or contact your high school guidance department.
The City of Destin’s 15th Annual Fall Festival will be held from 5-8 p.m. Oct. 26 at the Destin Community Center. Please bring a non-perishable food item for admission. Fun booths with games, activities, a cakewalk, costume contest (register 5-6 p.m.), spacewalk, slide, and Jack-o-lantern contest (drop off before 3 p.m. Games tickets are 4/$1 or 20/$5. Call 654-5184.
Holiday Craft Show
The City of Destin’s 10th Annual Holiday Craft Show will be held from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 13 and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Nov. 14 at the Destin Community Center. There will be hand-crafted jewelry, woodcarvings, watercolor paintings, and much more from over 50 vendors. Vendor booths are available for $45/residents and $55/non-residents. Admission is free. Call 654-5184 for more information.
The annual Out of the Darkness Community Walk to support the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention will be held at noon Nov. 14 at Beasley Park on Okaloosa Island.
Horizon Stars Fashion Show
The Arc of the Emerald Coast hosts its annual fundraising event Horizon Stars Fashion Show from 7-10 p.m. Nov. 20 at the Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort's Linkside Conference Center. Tickets are $65/regular seating, $120/couples, and $100/VIP area(1 person). All proceeds will benefit The Arc of Emerald Coast. With a "Winterland" theme, the show will focus on Fashion, Music, and Stars. Call 376-1037 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for tickets and information.
Grand Boulevard Farmers’ Market
The market will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday in Grand Park in Miramar Beach between Cantina Laredo and Tommy Bahama’s. Vendors will offer locally sourced food-based items including produce, eggs, milk, butter, grass-fed beef, chicken, lamb, and pork, honey, pickled vegetables and gourmet jams. Market is held on Wednesdays from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
The WaterColor Coastal Farmers Market will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Sunday at Cerulean Park. Traditional Farmers Market items such as local farm fresh produce, eggs, and dairy products will be available. There will also be a large variety of organic and homemade items such as Greek gourmet foods, hot and jerk sauces, grass fed beef, chicken, and pork. Market is held on Thursdays from March 12 through Labor Day.
30A Farmers’ Market
This community event from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sundays in Town Center in Rosemary Beach features fresh vegetables, fruits, eggs, honey, cheese and more. Market is held on Thursdays from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
Seaside Farmers Market
Get your pick of fresh produce, baked goods, dairy products, native plants and other unique offerings Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Amphitheatre behind Raw & Juicy. Enjoy special cooking demos and activities.
Duplicate Bridge, ACBL, will be held at 9:50 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Thursday at St. Andrews Episcopal Church, 307 Harbor Blvd. in Destin. Cost is $7. No partner necessary. For more information e-mail email@example.com
Destin Life Center
Recreation and fitness activities at Destin Life Center at Destin United Methodist Church, 200 Beach Drive, include the following. Hours are 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Closed Sunday. From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday visit the Soul Café for lunch. Call ahead for dine in or pick up. For information, call the DLC at 837-2021.
• Adult Open Soccer: From 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays. Fee is $2/player.
• Adult Open Volleyball: From 6-9 p.m. Tuesdays. Fee is $2/player.
• Pickleball: From 2-5 p.m. Monday-Friday and 9 a.m. to noon Saturday.
• DLC Fitness Cardio/Weight Room: Nautilus equipment, three treadmills, two ellipticals and one recumbent bike. Memberships are $40/calendar quarter; $30/month; $20/week; and $10/day.
• Community Fitness Classes: Indoor cycling, Zumba, Rise and Stretch, PIYO, Cardio Dance, Forever Young (senior aerobics) and more. Costs are $40/month; $7/class; $20/month Forever Young, fitness for seniors; and $3/individual Forever Young.
Destin Community Center
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Capoeira (Brazilian Martial Arts): Capoeira is a Brazilian Martial Art that combines the elements of dance, acrobatics and music. Classes are on Wednesdays 7-9 p.m. Call the Community Center at 654-5184 for more information.
• Dodgeball: Every Thursday night 6-8 p.m. at the Destin Community Center for youth ages 8-15 years. This allows children to participate in a night filled with dodgeball, friends and fun! Fee is $2/session for Destin residents and $3/session for non-residents. A snack/drink concession will be available. (Note: No open Dodgeball on September 17 due to the Basketball Clinic.) For more information, please call: (850) 654-5184.
• Game Room: Open to children age 10 and older from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• Pickleball: Mondays from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Racquets and balls available.
• Table Tennis: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• Zumba Gold: Beginning Nov. 5 from 11 a.m. to noon on Mondays. Fee is $6/session.