COMMUNITY HAPPENINGS Oct. 31
All area codes are 850 unless noted.
For every purchase made from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 31, Charming Charlie at Destin Commons will donate 10 percent of gross sales to benefit the cultural and educational mission of the Mattie Kelly Arts Foundation.
Quit Smoking Now
A comprehensive tobacco cessation program that combines group support and Nicotine Replacement therapy begins at 5:30 p.m. Nov. 4 and continues Wednesdays through Dec. 9 in the Suite 1 Education Building at Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast. Call 877-678-6766 or 398-6965 for enrollment information and future class dates.
Janice Sellers, a professional genealogist, will give a free lecture on using newspapers to do family history research from 1-3 p.m. Nov. 5 at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 339 Lake Drive in Fort Walton Beach. Register at 678-8430 or email email@example.com.
Children’s grief camp
Covenant Hospice along with The Village of Baytowne Wharf at Sandestin will host its children’s grief support camp, Camp Monarch, Nov. 7 at Baytowne Wharf. The free camp is for children ages 6-15 who have recently experienced the loss of a loved one or have a terminally ill loved one. There will be group sessions, ice skating and Adventure Zone activities. Lunch and snacks will be provided. Pre-registration is required by Oct. 30 at 729-1800 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Judge Maney at Library
The Friends Guild of the Destin Library will host a program in honor of Veterans' Day featuring retired US Army Reserves Brigadier General Judge Patt Maney at 2 p.m. Nov. 12 at the Destin Library. Program is free and open to the public. Judge Maney will share his experiences as a wounded veteran, the plight of wounded warriors with traumatic brain injury and the T. Patterson Maney Veterans’ Treatment Intervention Act. Call 837-8572.
Bereavement Support Group
Share and learn more about the grief journey you are enduring with an Emerald Coast Hospice bereavement group at 1:30 p.m. Wednesdays at the Destin Library. Groups are free and ongoing.
Holiday Craft Show
The City of Destin’s 10th Annual Holiday Craft Show will be held from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 13 and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Nov. 14 at the Destin Community Center. There will be hand-crafted jewelry, woodcarvings, watercolor paintings, and much more from over 50 vendors. Admission is free. Call 654-5184 for more information.
The annual Out of the Darkness Community Walk to support the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention will be held at noon Nov. 14 at Beasley Park on Okaloosa Island.
The Second Annual Veterans Dinner, a free Thanksgiving dinner honoring local military veterans, will be held Nov. 16 with seating every half hour from 4-6:30 p.m. at Popeyes Chicken at Eglin Air Force. Make a reservation before 3 p.m. Nov. 16.
The Destin Snowbirds will hold its opening ceremony and ribbon cutting at 1 p.m. Nov. 17 at the Destin Community Center.
A workshop to assist students in Okaloosa County High Schools who will take the Dec. 12 ACT and Dec. 5 SAT will be held from 2-5 p.m. Nov. 30, Dec. 1, 2, and 3 in the Media Center at Fort Walton Beach High School. All materials, snacks and drinks are furnished. Students need to bring calculators. Registration deadline is Nov. 17. For information, contact Alice Hart at 615-585-2401, email Amhart1966@aol.com or contact your high school guidance department.
Horizon Stars Fashion Show
The Arc of the Emerald Coast hosts its annual fundraising event Horizon Stars Fashion Show from 7-10 p.m. Nov. 20 at the Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort's Linkside Conference Center. Tickets are $65/regular seating, $120/couples, and $100/VIP area(1 person). All proceeds will benefit The Arc of Emerald Coast. With a "Winterland" theme, the show will focus on Fashion, Music, and Stars. Call 376-1037 or email email@example.com for tickets and information.
Grand Boulevard Farmers’ Market
The market will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday in Grand Park in Miramar Beach between Cantina Laredo and Tommy Bahama’s. Vendors will offer locally sourced food-based items including produce, eggs, milk, butter, grass-fed beef, chicken, lamb, and pork, honey, pickled vegetables and gourmet jams. Market is held on Wednesdays from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
The WaterColor Coastal Farmers Market will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Sunday at Cerulean Park. Traditional Farmers Market items such as local farm fresh produce, eggs, and dairy products will be available. There will also be a large variety of organic and homemade items such as Greek gourmet foods, hot and jerk sauces, grass fed beef, chicken, and pork. Market is held on Thursdays from March 12 through Labor Day.
30A Farmers’ Market
This community event from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sundays in Town Center in Rosemary Beach features fresh vegetables, fruits, eggs, honey, cheese and more. Market is held on Thursdays from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
Seaside Farmers Market
Get your pick of fresh produce, baked goods, dairy products, native plants and other unique offerings Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Amphitheatre behind Raw & Juicy. Enjoy special cooking demos and activities.
Duplicate Bridge, ACBL, will be held at 9:50 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Thursday at St. Andrews Episcopal Church, 307 Harbor Blvd. in Destin. Cost is $7. No partner necessary. For more information e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Destin Life Center
Recreation and fitness activities at Destin Life Center at Destin United Methodist Church, 200 Beach Drive, include the following. Hours are 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Closed Sunday. From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday visit the Soul Café for lunch. Call ahead for dine in or pick up. For information, call the DLC at 837-2021.
• Adult Open Soccer: From 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays. Fee is $2/player.
• Adult Open Volleyball: From 6-9 p.m. Tuesdays. Fee is $2/player.
• Pickleball: From 2-5 p.m. Monday-Friday and 9 a.m. to noon Saturday.
• DLC Fitness Cardio/Weight Room: Nautilus equipment, three treadmills, two ellipticals and one recumbent bike. Memberships are $40/calendar quarter; $30/month; $20/week; and $10/day.
• Community Fitness Classes: Indoor cycling, Zumba, Rise and Stretch, PIYO, Cardio Dance, Forever Young (senior aerobics) and more. Costs are $40/month; $7/class; $20/month Forever Young, fitness for seniors; and $3/individual Forever Young.
Destin Community Center
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 or email email@example.com for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Capoeira (Brazilian Martial Arts): Capoeira is a Brazilian Martial Art that combines the elements of dance, acrobatics and music. Classes are on Wednesdays 7-9 p.m. Call the Community Center at 654-5184 for more information.
• Dodgeball: Every Thursday night 6-8 p.m. at the Destin Community Center for youth ages 8-15 years. This allows children to participate in a night filled with dodgeball, friends and fun! Fee is $2/session for Destin residents and $3/session for non-residents. A snack/drink concession will be available. (Note: No open Dodgeball on September 17 due to the Basketball Clinic.) For more information, please call: (850) 654-5184.
• Game Room: Open to children age 10 and older from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• Pickleball: Mondays from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Racquets and balls available.
• Table Tennis: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• Zumba Gold: Beginning Nov. 5 from 11 a.m. to noon on Mondays. Fee is $6/session.