COMMUNITY HAPPENINGS Jan. 6
All area codes are 850 unless noted.
Floral Design/Nautical Knots
The Friends Guild of the Destin Library will host a program featuring Floral Design and Nautical Knots at 2 p.m. Jan. 8 at the Destin Library. The program is free and open to the public. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm attendance. Call 837-8572.
Historian Hank Klein presents “History Mystery of Northwest Florida” during History Sandwiched-In, a free lunch-time lecture, at noon Jan. 8 at the Heritage Museum of Northwest Florida. Klein will present interesting facts about West and East Florida and Destin and Okaloosa County. Bring a sandwich. This lecture is free and open to the public. Call 678-2615 to reserve a seat.
A workshop to assist students in Okaloosa County High Schools who will take the Feb. 6 ACT and Jan. 23 and March 5 SAT will be held from 2-5 p.m. Jan. 19, 20, 25 and 26 at Fort Walton Beach High School and 2-5 p.m. Jan. 21, 22, 27 and 28 at Niceville High School. All materials, snacks and drinks are furnished. Students need to bring calculators. Registration deadline is Jan. 7. For information, contact Alice Hart at 615-585-2401, email Amhart1966@aol.com or contact your high school guidance department.
The Sand Dunes Chapter of Embroiderers' Guild of America will hold a stitch-in from 1:30-4:30 p.m. Jan. 10 in the Religious Education building, Holy Name of Jesus Catholic Church on Valparaiso Boulevard in Niceville. Call 496-3466.
Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast Senior Spirit program will host a free seminar featuring Dr. Ralph Goodman, board-certified endocrinologist, at 10 a.m. Jan 12 in the hospital’s Resource Center, Suite 3 Conference Room. Dr. Goodman will speak on “Endocrinology: Diabetes and Other Hormone Disorders.” Call 278-3600 or 877-416-1620 to register.
Hank Klein presents The Civil War at the Indian Temple Mound and Leonard Destin's Captivity at 6 p.m. Jan. 15 at Heritage Park and Cultural Center of Fort Walton Beach, Indian Temple Mound, 139 Miracle Strip Parkway. Make reservations at 833-9595.
Emerald Coast Relay for Life
A team party for those in the Emerald Coast Relay for Life will be held at 6 p.m. Jan. 19 at Uncle Buck’s Fishbowl & Grill in Destin Commons. Enjoy food, fun and bowling, plus receive information about the Relay for Life. Bring your teammates along and if you haven’t registered a team yet, you can do it here as well. Donations appreciated. For more information, call 428-1803 or email email@example.com.
Women's Literature Circle
The Friends Guild of the Destin Library will host a three-week Women’s Literature Circle with Dr. Patricia Moran at 1 p.m. Jan. 19, 25 and Feb. 2. The program is free and open to the public. Call 837-8572.
Destin's Pioneer Settlers
The Destin Library will host a presentation, Destin’s Pioneer Settlers, at 2 p.m. Jan. 26. The presentation is free and open to the public. Seats will be limited for this presentation and interested individuals are encouraged arrive early for this program.
Destin's Founding Father
Hank Klein presents Leonard Destin: Destin's Founding Father at 5:30 p.m. Jan. 26 at the Destin Library, 150 Sibert Ave. Call 837-8572 for reservations.
Spring Craft Show
The City of Destin’s Annual Spring Craft Show will be held from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Feb. 19 and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Feb. 20 at the Community Center. There will over 50 vendors showing handcrafted jewelry, woodcarvings, paintings, food items and much more. Vendor booths are available for $45/residents and $55/non-residents. Admission is free to the public. Call 654-5184 for more information.
Bereavement Support Group
Share and learn more about the grief journey you are enduring with an Emerald Coast Hospice bereavement group at 1:30 p.m. Wednesdays at the Destin Library. Groups are free and ongoing.
Library Seeks Volunteers
The Destin Library is seeking volunteers to teach or assist with the upcoming spring 2016 instructional computer program. Typically volunteers have experience using various software programs, online applications and devices. For a complete list of proposed workshop topics and tentative workshop dates, contact Will Rogers at firstname.lastname@example.org or 837-8572.
Alzheimer’s Support Group
The Covenant Alzheimer’s Support Group meets from 2-3:30 p.m. Jan. 26 in the Suite 3 Education Center at Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast. Group meets on the last Tuesday of every month.
Grand Boulevard Farmers’ Market
The market will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday in Grand Park in Miramar Beach between Cantina Laredo and Tommy Bahama’s. Vendors will offer locally sourced food-based items including produce, eggs, milk, butter, grass-fed beef, chicken, lamb, and pork, honey, pickled vegetables and gourmet jams.
The WaterColor Coastal Farmers Market will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Sunday at Cerulean Park. Traditional Farmers Market items such as local farm fresh produce, eggs, and dairy products will be available. There will also be a large variety of organic and homemade items such as Greek gourmet foods, hot and jerk sauces, grass fed beef, chicken, and pork. Market is held on Thursdays from March 12 through Labor Day.
30A Farmers’ Market
This community event from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sundays in Town Center in Rosemary Beach features fresh vegetables, fruits, eggs, honey, cheese and more. Market is held on Thursdays from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
Seaside Farmers Market
Get your pick of fresh produce, baked goods, dairy products, native plants and other unique offerings Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Amphitheatre behind Raw & Juicy. Enjoy special cooking demos and activities.
Duplicate Bridge, ACBL, will be held at 9:50 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Thursday at St. Andrews Episcopal Church, 307 Harbor Blvd. in Destin. Cost is $7. No partner necessary. For more information e-mail email@example.com
Destin Life Center
Recreation and fitness activities at Destin Life Center at Destin United Methodist Church, 200 Beach Drive, include the following. Hours are 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Closed Sunday. From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday visit the Soul Café for lunch. Call ahead for dine in or pick up. For information, call the DLC at 837-2021.
• Adult Open Soccer: From 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays. Fee is $2/player.
• Adult Open Volleyball: From 6-9 p.m. Tuesdays. Fee is $2/player.
• Pickleball: From 2-5 p.m. Monday-Friday and 9 a.m. to noon Saturday.
• DLC Fitness Cardio/Weight Room: Nautilus equipment, three treadmills, two ellipticals and one recumbent bike. Memberships are $40/calendar quarter; $30/month; $20/week; and $10/day.
• Community Fitness Classes: Indoor cycling, Zumba, Rise and Stretch, PIYO, Cardio Dance, Forever Young (senior aerobics) and more. Costs are $40/month; $7/class; $20/month Forever Young, fitness for seniors; and $3/individual Forever Young.
Destin Community Center
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Aerobics: Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 9 a.m. Bring water and towel. Cost is $3/session.
• Capoeira (Brazilian Martial Arts): Capoeira is a Brazilian Martial Art that combines the elements of dance, acrobatics and music. Classes are on Wednesdays 7-9 p.m.
• Chair Yoga: Monday and Thursday from 9:30-10:30 a.m. Cost is $4/class.
• Game Room: Open to children age 10 and older from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• Line Dancing: Class will be held on Thursdays beginning Jan. 14. Beginner lessons 12:30 p.m. Open dance is 1:15-1:45 p.m. Intermediate lessons 1:45 p.m. Fee is $6.
• Pickleball: Mondays from 12-3 p.m. and Wednesdays and Fridays from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Racquets and balls available. Lessons Monday from 10:30-11:30 a.m.
• Table Tennis: Tuesdays from 2-5 p.m. and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to noon. Paddles and balls provided. Fee $2/resident and $3/non-resident.
• Yoga: From 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Thursdays for all levels. Bring a mat and water.
• Zumba Gold: From 10:30-11:30 a.m. on Mondays and Thursdays. Fee is $6/session.